DW wood for shells

sillypilot

Hi all - I currently have a Maple/Spruce shell and am looking for a second kit for the practice space. I’m debating between Maple/Mahogany or Contemporary Classic. I’m somewhat scared of doing a Maple/Mahogany because it would sound very similar to the Maple/Spruce kit, but the Mahognay/Poplar also scares me as it may not be as versatile. I don’t like the sound of pure maple which is why I’m looking at these two types of shells. Anyone have experience and a perspective on these shells? I always appreciate the thoughts!!

IBitePrettyHard

One observation I have about DW shells. Almost all their wood types have the uncanny ability of sounding very similar to each other. (More so than other companies) It probably has to do with the way they make their shells. I've listened to every drum demo on Youtube and noticed this. Drum "shootouts" featuring multiple woods from other manufacturers end up having more separation between the wood types. DW, not so much. That's my opinion anyway.

That being said, the Maple/Spruce shells are actually my favorite, and actually DO kinda stand out from the other shell combos in the DW line. They have a more immediate attack, like a Gretsch sound almost.

So in other words, you won't get a drastically different sound if you buy another DW kit IMHO. I would consider a different brand to compliment the DWs.

Last edited:

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
The difference between maple and maple/mahogany is night and day I have experienced, but how they will hold up to maple/spruce I would not dare to say.

My favorite is maple/mahogany though:

Last edited:

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
What type of sound are you wanting to achieve with this kit that the maple/spruce kit is lacking? It may be easier to guide you if you were to describe what you want.

sillypilot

What type of sound are you wanting to achieve with this kit that the maple/spruce kit is lacking? It may be easier to guide you if you were to describe what you want.
No a specific sound as it is my "second" kit if you will. I just don't want it to sound identical to the Maple/Spruce one I have. I don't like the sound of pure maple. But I do like maple/mahogany and the contemporary classics from videos I've seen on youtube.

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
No a specific sound as it is my "second" kit if you will. I just don't want it to sound identical to the Maple/Spruce one I have. I don't like the sound of pure maple. But I do like maple/mahogany and the contemporary classics from videos I've seen on youtube.
Well, what about purple heart, cherry or birch, or moving in to their Jazz series or the Santa Monicas?

jornthedrummer

Silver Member
One observation I have about DW shells. Almost all their wood types have the uncanny ability of sounding very similar to each other. (More so than other companies) It probably has to do with the way they make their shells. I've listened to every drum demo on Youtube and noticed this. Drum "shootouts" featuring multiple woods from other manufacturers end up having more separation between the wood types. DW, not so much. That's my opinion anyway.

That being said, the Maple/Spruce shells are actually my favorite, and actually DO kinda stand out from the other shell combos in the DW line. They have a more immediate attack, like a Gretsch sound almost.

So in other words, you won't get a drastically different sound if you buy another DW kit IMHO. I would consider a different brand to compliment the DWs.
Id agree with that.
Maybe there’s so much metal on the shell that the shell material does not matter.

RickP

Gold Member
I have owned an all maple Noble and Cooley CD Maples kit and currently own a Noble and Cooley Horizon kit ( maple shells with African mahogany inner veneer) and they are very different . The addition of the African Mahogany and the different grain layup makes a big difference from the all maple CD Maples . The CD Maples have a sharper attack , whereas the Horizon are warmer and fatter sounding .

My suggestion for a DW Kit would be the Cherry/Mahogany - these are wonderful drums they have the clean ,almost crisp note of the Cherry that is warmed up by the Mahogany inner ply . Our DW Rep told me it was the most requested shell from their Endorsers for their personal kits .