DW Super Solid Snares

TTNW

Pioneer Member
I just finished watching the DW video on how they make their new super solid snares.

http://www.dwdrums.com/supersolid/

Check it out!

So.. ..question is, since the DW is a steamed and compressed maple plank and then bent and ends joined with a "scarf" joint, wouldn't a superior design be to make the snare out of one hollowed out log with no scarf joint.

I know there are many custom snare making companies out there. Do any of them make a solid "no joint" snare? As far as I know Craviotto and Longo snares are bent and joined.

And if so, wouldn't that hollowed out log, if steamed and compressed like DW is doing now, be a better design?

I'm ready to plunk down some cash for one. I want to get it in 6x14 ½" thick
with the mahogany stain finish and satin chrome.

BTW, that's also the finish and hardware choice for the 16x24, 9x13 and 16x16 that I have on order. Wouldn't it be awesome if they could make the whole kit super solid like the snare. I bet they could or they will one day.

I can't seem to find the website, but there was one company that would take a huge log and cut the drum set shells out of it, one at a time, each one from the outside of the previous ones, truly creating a set that was of the same wood. I think it was Spirit Drums, but I can't seem to find their site (it doesn't open anymore).

That would be a really interesting idea, to cut the shell from the log and then do the DW steam thing to it to compress it, and then carve the necessaries into (out of) it later. That's the next frontier!

They look like incredibly nice drums, even the reinforcement rings are a part of the same piece of wood. I hope some more sizes come on the market soon.

Brady do some of the best work of any drum company that's out there. A 14"x8" Jarrah block snare has been my dream snare for ages.

The Canopus Zelkova is not compressed like the DW, but in it's natural form, milled from a log of Zelkova wood (a japanese? hardwood). They dry the wood for like 2 years or something (I think before) they mill it. They overcame the dilemma that straight milled drums have in that when they are under tension, they can crack. Canopus incorporated an angle into the vertical profile of the outer edge of the shell, milling it so the middle is a slightly larger diameter than the bearing edge. They gave it a gentle curve, like the profile of a barrel. The inside walls are straight, save for the angle the cut on the bearing edge. It's a thick drum too, at least an inch at it's thinnest point (again,excluding the bearing edge bevel cut) Great design! Needs to be milled from maple (my opinion) though and the bearing edge is too sharp for me, but I'm picking nits. I've considered redoing the edges but it's nowhere near the top on the "things to do" list. Plus I'm afraid I might mess up the sound. The drum is exceptional, capable of many sounds and the drum doesn't choke. The head will choke before the drum will. My dream set is all milled, "lugs not touching the drum" design. The most resonance possible. Then I'll put moongels all over the heads, NOT!
Now you know more than you need about the Zelkova. Oh yea, I paid $1300.00 brand new (sorry Caddy) for the 6.5 x 14 in 2006. It was the standout snare out of at least 30 snares drums I tapped at Sam Ash that day.
But I love the sound of my Pearl Eric Singer signature snare even more, go figure. Maple does it for me.
As for TTNW's question, in my opinion yes a superior design is milled from a log. But I'm still anxious to hear what John Goods latest baby sounds like. You just never know, maybe he hit on something

And if so, wouldn't that hollowed out log, if steamed and compressed like DW is doing now, be a better design?

There are a couple of potential problems with solid wood drums:
1. They are predisposed to miniature cracks. You will need a touring quality case to protect the snare drum if you gig with it.
2. They are very heavy. You will need a beefy snare stand to support the snare drum.

GJS

Wouldn't it be awesome if they could make the whole kit super solid like the snare. I bet they could or they will one day.

Luka Percussion from Quebec, Canada make full milled solid body drum sets. I had enquired into a kit at one point, but they're really f**king expensive!. Well worth it no doubt, but I didn't have $6000 to drop on a kit and they're finishes are kind of shotty.

Also, both Craviotto and Vaughncraft do full steambent shells for drum sets.

Stave construction was good enough for me! same enhanced sound qualities as milled, due to the un-stressed vertical wood grain and lack of glue, but much more sturdy and less susceptible to temperature stresses. And the price tag was much more reasonable.

Gotta get me a Craviotto one of these days!...and a Jeff Ocheltree TreeBronze while I'm at it! (but I'll need to win the lottery first!)

I know of only three companies that make "true" solid shells from felled, hollowed or complete logs: Brady and Spirit, out of Australia; and Canopus from Japan (with the Zelkova model).

The Brady solids are legendary - prized by discerning players the world over. I would love to know how many of these are made each year, or how many have been made all-up. I read that they are very rare.

The Zelkova is another drum that has the "legendary" tag, though these seem to pop-up for sale a lot more frequently than the Bradys.

There is a member on this forum who owns a Spirit kit. I'm sure he will be able to answer any of your questions. The Spirit website is also informative.

I'm on my way to check out the Luka site, thanks Jon_Gwon.

All the best with your search.

Thanks for all the info. I'll be looking into the Brady, Spirit and Zelkova.

I had heard that sometimes there could be strength issues with hollowed out solid drums but I don't know from any first or second hand experience. I listened to the sound of the DW Super Solid on the YouTube clip that Memphis Drum Shop put up. The drum sounded good. It's seems like the kind of drum that to choose you need to hear it in person and play it.

Only time will tell if John Good at DW will experiment with steaming and compressing a solid log drum. Seems like the next evolutionary step in solid snares.

Thanks Jon_Gwon, I'll be checking out the Luka Percussion site.

I am the proud owner of a 15" x 5" X 3/8" DW Super solid. It had some bugs myself and a couple noted drummers worked out, but all in all its one of the finest maple shell drums I have ever owned or played. Miked its unbelivable! It is my main snare too. When I leave the stage it goes in the case and with me! It's Emerals Glass finish really kicks!

Back