DW snare ID help please

T_Weaves

Silver Member
I can get one of these for below $500 in immaculate shape. Born date is Feb 19th 2004 and is listed as a natural satin, solid shell maple, 5.5x14, DW collector's series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahPGeIyO9iM

It looks EXACTLY like the one the above video. Curious as to what they sold for, what they're worth. If I buy it I'll probably keep it. I just don't want to get hosed if it isn't worth it.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I googled the name and found that natural drum for from 650.00 to 1250. Google it and see.

T_Weaves

Silver Member
I googled the name and found that natural drum for from 650.00 to 1250. Google it and see.
Thanks G-dad, I was looking for a little more detail regarding who made the shells. I read something where they had used Vaughncraft shells around this time, after having used Keller in the mid to late 90s and then having made their own right up to about the time this drum was manufactured. I've also seen where this is a DW/Craviotto drum (see above video ) so I'm interested in hearing from anyone who might own this model or something from that time frame.

Cheers,
JR

jbonzo1

Silver Member
Could be a Craviotto shell or a Vaughncraft.
They used some shells from Craviotto after he went on his own. Some are stamped with his name, some are not.
If you knew it was a Crav shell, I would go for it. The Vaughncraft shells are less desireable.

T_Weaves

Silver Member
I went ahead and bought it. Not positive it's a Craviotto shell but it seems to match up with the time when DW was still using his shells to make their solids. I've seen DW solid maples, with his shells, with later dating than mine. Not a real big deal either as I love the way it sounds. I don't plan on selling it anytime soon. I might upgrade the throwoff and butt plate but it's not a rush thing. Here's a couple pics of the badges and one with my Tama b/b kit.

Attachments

T

The SunDog

Not a Craviotto. Johnny had stopped working for DW by then, or else it would say it and be signed. DW builds steambent/solid snares and hired Johnny Craviotto at one point to make them. He subsequently left DW and started Craviotto Drums. It's simply a post Johnny Craviotto DW solid snare (not super solid). At $500 it's a pretty good buy for a fantastic, expensive snare and you definitely didn't get hosed.

jbonzo1

Silver Member
SunDog,
DW still used Craviotto shells for a while after he left. Some have a Craviotto stamp but no signature or Craviotto badge. They also used Vaughncraft shells. If there is no stamp, it could be either one.

T_Weaves

Silver Member
SunDog,
DW still used Craviotto shells for a while after he left. Some have a Craviotto stamp but no signature or Craviotto badge. They also used Vaughncraft shells. If there is no stamp, it could be either one.
I've decided to just enjoy it and not worry about who bent the wood. It is a really nice addition as it doesn't sound anything like any of my other 3 snares. Not sure how to descibe the sound but it has this great crack and a bit of a ring to it, but it's not an annoying overtone. Quite the opposite actually. Beautiful drum. I feel very fortunate to have found it.

jbonzo1

Silver Member
Yeah, as long as you like the sound, that's all that matters.
A solid shell snare really has it's own sound and the sharp DW edges give it a nice crispness right out to the edges. I have two DW/Craviottos and a Johnny C snare and love them.

T_Weaves

Silver Member
Jim are you stalking me?

We both have mapex saturns

And tama b/b's

And I got this on Monday...
Duck,

Yeah I saw that, that is a beautiful kit !! Nice contrast with the maple and the matte finish. Some of us just have good taste. What can we say?

Drum stalkers !! I like that. :) Might be a good name for a band. You have the new throwoff/butt plate on your snare. I'm jelly.

I'm using the the DW Solid with my BB kit. The Maple looks killer with that Crystal Blue Burst. Oh and the sound......mmm mmm good.

Cheers,
JR

T_Weaves

Silver Member
Uh oh.......I'm going all mismatched and ugly with the Mapex kit and the DW snare. Dunno if it looks all that great but man that sound !! I've never really cared if a snare matches a kit. Here's a sample........some with flash, some in natural light.

Attachments