DW Snare Drums

Dave from Perth

I had some free time today and thought I’d share some photographs of my limited edition DW snare drums. I’ve been collecting drums for a number of years, though it seems that these days I spend more time collecting than I do playing. Oh well...

There’s no reasoning behind the sequencing of the photos and I can’t guarantee the accuracy of the information I have posted with them, so please keep this in mind. (i.e. I’m not an expert.) Like all of us here, drumming has brought me many years of fun times, friendships and memories. As time passes and responsibilities change, my collection allows me to continue my association with drums and the drumming community.

I hope you enjoy the photos – sincere regards to you all.

25th Anniversary (1997) 14 x 5.0

25th Anniversary Edge (1997) 13 x 5.0

25th Anniversary Solid Maple (1998) 13 x 5.5 Craviotto Shell

Exotics Series Cherry (1997) 14 x 5.5 Craviotto Shell

Exotics Series Oak (1997) 14 x 5.5 Craviotto Shell

Exotics Series Walnut (1997) 14 x 5.5 Craviotto Shell

Exotics Series Ash (1997) 14 x 5.5 Craviotto Shell

Tony Williams Drum (1997) 14 x 6.5 Craviotto Maple Shell

Timeless Timber Maple Edge (2001) 14 x 6

30th Anniversary Timeless Timber Birch (2002) 14 x 5.0 Rose Vine

30th Anniversary Timeless Timber Birch (2002) 14 x 5.0 Grape Vine

Titanium (2005) 14 x 6.5 Dunnett Collaboration

Neil Peart Commemorative (2006) 14 x 6.0

Buddy Rich Commemorative (2006) 14 x 5.5

Buddy Rich Classics Prototype (2005) 14 x 5.0 Solid Maple

Buddy Rich Classics (2007) 14 x 5.0 Custom Maple Ply

Neil Peart Snakes and Arrows (2007) 14 x 6.0

Acrylic (2007) 14 x 5.0

Neil Peart Connoisseur (2009) 14 x 6.5 Bubinga with Sycamore

Neil Peart Connoisseur (2009) 14 x 6.5 Walnut with Maple

Neil Peart Connoisseur (2009) 14 x 6.5 Maple with Walnut

Neil Peart Time Machine (2011) 14 x 6.5

Neil Peart R30 (2005) 14 x 6.5

40th Anniversary (2012) 14 x 5.5 Custom Order Tamo Ash Veneer

40th Anniversary Limited Edition (2012) 14 x 6.5

Vault Edge (2013) 14 x 6.0 SABIAN Collaboration

Icon Neil Peart (2014) 14 x 6.5 VLT

Icon Roger Taylor (2014) 14 x 6.5 HVLT

Icon Nick Mason (2014) 14 x 6.5 HVLT

R40 Icon Snare Drum (2015) 14 x 6.5 HVLT Timeless Timber Romanian Oak

Timeless Timber Romanian Oak (2015) 14 x 6.5

Black Iron (2016) 14 x 6.0 Kepplinger Collaboration

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
An impressive collection!
I'm intrigued by the acrylic, it reminds me of the old Fibes snare drums. How would you describe it's characteristics?

jbonzo1

Silver Member
Impressive collection.
The acrylic is a rare bird. You need the Mick Fleetwood snare, it's a work of art like the others.

Spaz

OMG You're my hero.

I can't wait to show the wife this collection.
I have 30 snares in my collection and she doesn't mind but she still thinks I'm nuts hahaha

T_Weaves

Silver Member
Beautiful snares to say the least but all I can think of is how many kits I could buy with dough you laid down for those. I'm just too damn value-oriented. That's my problem. :)

I dig that Pink Floyd snare the most !! That is SWEEEET !!

T

The SunDog

Well I don't find this funny in the least. You have sickened me to the core mister "Dave From Perth"! If that is your real name! Not cool.

P.S. I love you!

Dave from Perth

An impressive collection!
I'm intrigued by the acrylic, it reminds me of the old Fibes snare drums. How would you describe it's characteristics?
G'day. I like the sound of the acrylic but it is different to the snares I play in practice or at gigs. I think that RCI collaborated with DW on these; there aren't many about. I haven't played the Fibes or Ludwig acrylics so I don't have a reference for comparison, I sorry, so what follows is entirely subjective.

I found the sound of this snare drum to have a very broad and open sound. Not the same degree of focus and clarity, to my ears, compared to my regular snare (Brady ply 14 x 5), and I preferred tuning it up rather high to get the cut and attack I prefer. Lower down the tuning range I found the sound a little bit "tubby", if you know what I mean. Nothing major, and nothing a different set of snare wires or batter head change wouldn't fix. There's a broad wet vibe with mid-range tuning. I don't mind that type of sound when it's from a deeper shell. Having said that, you could easily become accustomed to it on this drum. I enjoy playing it. I think its strength (or best context) is in a rock type of set-up.

I'm not sure if that helps you any - I hope it does. Thanks for the interest.

sacco

I own five snares, quite different one from another in terms of material, construction and character, and I already have HUGE difficulties deciding which one to use for any given musical situation: well, please be kind and tell me how you chose one of yours for any given musical situation ...
By the way: I guess it is almost superfluous to tell you how fantastic your collection is!

Dave from Perth

I own five snares, quite different one from another in terms of material, construction and character, and I already have HUGE difficulties deciding which one to use for any given musical situation: well, please be kind and tell me how you chose one of yours for any given musical situation ...
By the way: I guess it is almost superfluous to tell you how fantastic your collection is!
Hi Sacco. Thanks for your interest. My collection is pretty much that: a collection. I play the drums (normally) at practice or at home. The snare drums I use when I'm gigging are a Brady 14 x 5.5 jarrah ply and a DW 14 x 6.5 Collectors Series, depending on where and what music I'm playing.

I find the DW is a great all-rounder. Most of the gigs I play are in smaller sized clubs with minimal miking (e.g. overhead, snare and bass). I find the DW is perfect for this setting. The music we mainly play is 60-80s rock. In larger (or outdoor) venues with similar miking, I use the Brady. It's a beautifully versatile snare drum that (to be honest) works in nearly every playing context.

At gigs like weddings, we normally begin playing acoustic instrumental stuff at lower volume. I use the DW for this. Not from a volume perspective but more for warmth and feel. As the night cranks up and people begin to party, I'll turn to the Brady - again, not because of volume, but for feel and vibe. It's a personal thing, I guess.

The same applies to kits. If we play only acoustic material, I use a different kit to the one I'd use if I was playing only rock music.

So, I'm not really positioned to answer your question because I only rely on two snare drums when I'm gigging. I'm tempted to explore the Ludwig BB or Acrolite. The difference between the timber and metal drums should provide a useful contrast, and I think the tones from a metal shell would suit a lot of the songs we play.

Is there a snare drum shell material that best suits a specific playing space and/or style of music? I don't know. I suspect there are preferences rather than concrete answers, but there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum who might have more specific answers for you.

I hope this helps in some way. All the best with your playing.