DW Purplecore Bop Demo

RobertM

Platinum Member
The guys at Mostly Bop Drums have just posted a new bop demo video of a DW Collectors purpleheart/cherry set:

Curious what folks think about bop sound here since woods are not maple.

Cosmetics are good (great) but I've heard the sound before (can't pinpoint where) maybe another DW set.

They sound like bop drums to me. But what the hell is that spiral cymbal? That’s bizarre.

They sound like bop drums to me. But what the hell is that spiral cymbal? That’s bizarre.
It's actually a stack. The bottom is a 19" Zildjian Turbine prototype, topped with what looks like a 12" Spiral Stacker.
Curious what folks think about bop sound here since woods are not maple.
I think they sound fabulous. 9 ply Purpleheart/Cherry with 3 ply reinforcement rings. When the Ludwig Club Date came back, made with the Cherry/Gum shell ...... that had the vintage vibe all over it. And that was $1200 and change. This kit's serves up that same mojo in spades !!!

It's actually a stack. The bottom is a 19" Zildjian Turbine prototype, topped with what looks like a 12" Spiral Stacker.

I think they sound fabulous. 9 ply Purpleheart/Cherry with 3 ply reinforcement rings. When the Ludwig Club Date came back, made with the Cherry/Gum shell ...... that had the vintage vibe all over it. And that was $1200 and change. This kit's serves up that same mojo in spades !!!
$1200 for the club date kit? I would guess this DW kit is probably easily over $3k.

I’d love to see the Mostly Bop guys demo a Starclassic walnut birch.

Drives me nuts when drum sound demo videos have a drummer more concerned with showing off then giving us drum sounds. Just hit the drums and let them ring out so we can hear them please.

$1200 for the club date kit? I would guess this DW kit is probably easily over $3k.
Well, that was 10 years ago. They're gone from Ludwig's line up, now. Sometime around 2016, they went to a maple/poplar/maple or mahogany/poplar/mahogany shell. Yeah, I'm sure that DW is quite a bit more. But I get that same kinda vibe/sound off it.

Back