Dw Performance vs Pearl Masters MCX

BlakeN70

So I currently own a PDP X7 kit and I'm looking to buy a new kit. I am stuck whether to buy a Dw Performance kit or a Pearl Masters MCX kit. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
What kind of feedback do you want? Your request is a little vague. Either kit is good, which one do you want? I'd say pick one, get it, and go out and play it. At this point, what color do you like best? Which line has the sizes you want? They're about the same in terms of price and quality. Which wood do you like best?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
My feed back is that for all the money you spend, the improvement in tone will be negligible. PDP's have nice maple shells, 32 TPI tuning rods, and the build quality on my CX kit is flawless. Flawless. Perfect edges. The only slightly negative thing I can say about them is that they didn't use the clearest maple for the shells. So what? Maple sounds like maple no matter the coloring. For the life of me I don't know why they are considered second class. The hardware is not cheap, I took a single lug off and it has some heft to it. So great shells, flawless edges, hefty hardware, Nice chrome, 32 TPI tuning rods, what's not pro about them? Nothing that's what. My PDP's are pro drums all the way. I wouldn't hesitate to use them anywhere. (And I got them for $125.00)

I'd buy a great set of cymbals instead. I know you probably don't want to hear this but to me getting the DW's or the Pearls.....it's like moving from a BMW to an Audi. Lateral move.

That said, if you must shed the PDP's.... I'd go with DW just for the 32 TPI rods.

BlakeN70

Well both Performance and MCX kits are maple. I guess what I am asking is for people who may own these kits how they like them. Or if someone here has played both these kits their opinion. I don't have access to play these kits as my local drum shop doesn't carry them.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
They won't sound that much different than what you have. But it sounds like you are hell bent on it so I say get the DW's. Another bonus is it's an American company. If you live in America that is.

Mikecore

Silver Member
If you are looking for a lower fundamental then you need to figure out which one has thinner shells as a rule, since thinner shells tend to sing a bit lower than thicker shells. My guess would be DWs are thinner, since Pearl shells have usually been a bit thicker than most companies (not just DW).

I would be interested to know what you are looking for with a lower fundamental. I ask because I have experienced some drummers' disappointment with DW because they were expecting an 8" tom to tune like a 13" tom, and it didn't work out too well for them, and I have owned some drums that just would not take a low tuning, even at 16" in diameter. What sizes are you after in your setup, and what kind of music are you looking to play? Stuff like that would help the rest of us get into your head a little bit and maybe offer some good advice.

<(' . '<)

My feed back is that for all the money you spend, the improvement in tone will be negligible. PDP's have nice maple shells, 32 TPI tuning rods, and the build quality on my CX kit is flawless. Flawless. Perfect edges. The only slightly negative thing I can say about them is that they didn't use the clearest maple for the shells. So what? Maple sounds like maple no matter the coloring. For the life of me I don't know why they are considered second class. The hardware is not cheap, I took a single lug off and it has some heft to it. So great shells, flawless edges, hefty hardware, Nice chrome, 32 TPI tuning rods, what's not pro about them? Nothing that's what. My PDP's are pro drums all the way. I wouldn't hesitate to use them anywhere. (And I got them for $125.00)

I'd buy a great set of cymbals instead. I know you probably don't want to hear this but to me getting the DW's or the Pearls.....it's like moving from a BMW to an Audi. Lateral move.

That said, if you must shed the PDP's.... I'd go with DW just for the 32 TPI rods.
I agree with him, they are in my opinion professional too, the only thing I could think of is a thinner 4 ply shell with a Pearl Master kit but that's about it. You could always add die cast hoops, it adds more weight creating a lower tone.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
As has already been said both kits are nice, well built drums. Of course, I think you'd be hard pressed to find ANY drums in the $1500-2000 range that weren't.

If you're looking for a different tone from the maple drums you already own I don't know if looking at two other maple kits is the way to go.

I'd throw Mapex Saturn or Tama Starclassic B/B into the mix. They're well made, similar in price, and I think the interior plies of walnut (Saturn) or bubinga (Starclassic) might help get that lower tone you're after.

<(' . '<)

As has already been said both kits are nice, well built drums. Of course, I think you'd be hard pressed to find ANY drums in the $1500-2000 range that weren't.

If you're looking for a different tone from the maple drums you already own I don't know if looking at two other maple kits is the way to go.

I'd throw Mapex Saturn or Tama Starclassic B/B into the mix. They're well made, similar in price, and I think the interior plies of walnut (Saturn) or bubinga (Starclassic) might help get that lower tone you're after.
He does raise good points. All Saturn's I've heard/played always had a deep dark powerful sound.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I want the one that will give me the lower fundamental tone.
Sounds like what you need is a good console and microphones for your existing kit. You do know the sound you hear on CDs is processed, right? I've mic'd kits and with creative tuning and EQ, can make any kit sound like anything. I'm sure it's sacrilege to say so, but it's true.

wildbill

Platinum Member
...My PDP's are pro drums all the way. I wouldn't hesitate to use them anywhere. (And I got them for $125.00)....
Ha ha - score! That's my kind of deal.

.... I'd go with DW just for the 32 TPI rods.
I don't think I'd want non-standard tensions rods. But that's probably because I've got so many spares laying around. Not a major consideration when you're talking about a higher end kit.

I want the one that will give me the lower fundamental tone.
Maybe different heads and tuning on your current set would get you there.

BlakeN70

I just thought that for instance Dw's new HVX shells would sound different than the maple shells I have now on the X7's. As far as Mapex Saturn's, I agree they are excellent drums as well. I have owned a set of Saturns in the past. As far as Pearl Masters I have never played on a set nor even heard one live. If I am not mistaken both the Performance and the Masters are both 6 ply.

A

audiotech

Are you only deciding between those two sets of drums? If not and you can stretch your budget a bit, look into Tama Starclassic full Bubinga shells. You'll be able to tune for a lower fundamental tone from each shell and each and every drum exhibits a very nice sounding attack. I have several different kits and the Bubinga 22" x 18" bass drum gives me a much lower fundamental tone than any of the others. I haven't played anything in that same size drum that compares to it.

Dennis

BlakeN70

I looked at the Starclassic Bubinga's, and they are out of my price range. Now the Starclassic Performer Bubinga's are like $1,600 and that would be in my range.

oldrockdrummer

I don't know anything about DW drums but i do own a new set of MCX . they are the same 6 ply maple shells pearl has made for years they have that classic sound that Jeff Porcaro made famous if you like that sound. there shell making technology is pretty cool they use scarf joints instead of butt joints they have a video about it on line. they also come with die cast hoops. i think they are very versatile just my opinion but i'm a pearl and ludwig lover so its a bias opinion

BlakeN70

I have started to consider Tama Starclassic Bubinga Birch. The only concern for me is I used to have a pure birch kit and I find they are of higher pitch than maple in my opinion. Please if anyone has one or has heard one of these sets, let me know how they sound.

<(' . '<)

I have started to consider Tama Starclassic Bubinga Birch. The only concern for me is I used to have a pure birch kit and I find they are of higher pitch than maple in my opinion. Please if anyone has one or has heard one of these sets, let me know how they sound.
I've played on (and tuned) two. It's a punchy sound not so much bright or dark. But to get more of a lower pitch just use different heads. They are very versatile in my own opinion.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
If you've got a maple kit, get a birch kit, or something different. Keep your old drums, it's not worth selling them.

I got my birch kit out the other week for band practice and I realized how great they were and how much I loved them. I had just grown tired of them over the years. Now I've got two different kits and I can choose between them, take one out for a gig and leave the other setup at home.

I've played all 3 of those kits and I would choose the tama birch/bubinga, they're def one of my favourite kits. And they are actually quite low, especially when you stand back.