Dw PDP vs Dw 2002

LacKB

Hi, iam going to buy some double pedal iam thinking about Dw PDP double pedal(Direct Drive, Longboard) or Dw 2002(Single Chain, ShortBoard)
Iam mainly playing Slipknot songs, nu metal sometimes something faster. (220 bpm max)
What pedal shoud you reccommended Dw 2002 or Dw PDP for that?
I never played direct drive.
Can i play comfortable with single chain shortboard 220 bpm?
Iam mainly using heel up (Ankle motion, leg motion) and i can learn swivel or heel-toe.

Last edited:

AzHeat

Platinum Member
For high BPM double bass stuff, you'll find more people in the direct drive longboard camp than chain and short board, but that doesn't mean it's right for you. If you're going to try a direct drive, I'd skip the PDP and try a used Yamaha P9500D. It's not a long board, but a dang nice pedal for the price. Peal Daemon Drives and Tama Speed Cobras are a popular choice too, for long board options. They still stay in the reasonable range used. If you're going to try the PDP out, get it used. PDP isn't bad stuff, just nothing special. Resale on their hardware is just terrible, so buy used and buy for the right price. Any of the other pedals above, Larry's recommendation also will sell super fast, if you decided you want something different.

Superman

Gold Member
Do NOT buy a 2000!! Worst pedal I ever owned or played on. I have a 3000 which is fine, I've played 5000 which are great and I own a 9000. Any of those are great choices.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
What is the problem with the 2000 ? It looks a lot like the original Camco, which was a good lightweight pedal ?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
What is the problem with the 2000 ? It looks a lot like the original Camco, which was a good lightweight pedal ?
Even though I use a 2000 on one of the BDs on my home kit, I couldn't recommend it. The machined beater holder/strap attachment thingy part that the horizontal shaft goes through is a little on the light side and the single chain is pretty skinny. It is a good lightweight pedal for people who aren't hard on pedals and play...not heavy.

I never had a problem, but I couldn't recommend it. The 3000 I like a lot and would recommend for a good DW pedal at a good price. Or get a new or used 5000 and be done with it.

Superman

Gold Member
My issue was that it was super flimsy. The beater would fly back and slam into my foot any time I played fast. No matter how many adjustments I made I could not correct it. I've never had that problem with any other pedal. It just wasn't a good sturdy pedal. I was playing fast punk rock at the time and had to sell it.

AZDRUMZ

its a beginner pedal that has single chain drive, like the iron cobra 200s. get a great double pedal like an Iron cobra 900 or dw 5000, and not a beginner pedal. drumming aint´ cheap

AzHeat

Platinum Member
The Yamaha 7210 has been getting stellar reviews for years. There isn't much to that pedal. I used to play the predecessor to it for 15 years and never had an issue with it. Can's speak to the DW 2000 series, but a pedal doesn't have to weigh as much as a car to hold up.

Ron_M

Nothing, IMO. I don't want or need the double chain & sprocket of the 3000 or 5000. I used a Camco for years, and had been looking for a modern replacement. The 2000 is perfect for me. I prefer the lighter moving mass. Hell, when I bought my 1st DW pedal, a 5000 over 30 years ago, it had a single sprocket and chain. That said, I totally get that it's not for heavy players.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
If you don't want to go the DW route, the Mapex Falcon series are pretty robust for the price. Played one of those for a while and the adjustments & weight are really good.
Same for the Demon Drive by Pearl & the Iron Cobra from Tama.

jasz

My issue was that it was super flimsy. The beater would fly back and slam into my foot any time I played fast. No matter how many adjustments I made I could not correct it. I've never had that problem with any other pedal. It just wasn't a good sturdy pedal. I was playing fast punk rock at the time and had to sell it.
That also happens on the current version of the AD4 5000 if you don't adjust the beater profile closer to the drum. From what I can see, the 2000 is basically a stripped down low cost variant with a much worse heal plate hinge (likely twists) and worse bearing assembly design on the beater arm.

Doesn't look like a bad pedal outside of the two "flaws" I pointed out. Weird. Adjustement capability looks identical to my AD4 5k.

Last edited: