DW or Tama UL flat based hardware pack

Ang

I am thinking about buying one of these two hardware packages. I have some experience with DW’s original flat base hardware, but how does the new UL style compare with Tama’s new stuff that I have no experience with. Not much difference in price but what are your opinions of on value?

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
I am thinking about buying one of these two hardware packages. I have some experience with DW’s original flat base hardware, but how does the new UL style compare with Tama’s new stuff that I have no experience with. Not much difference in price but what are your opinions of on value?
If you have the opportunity to actually put hands on them, I would. I haven't tried the Tama ones but I have some Gibraltar lightweight ones. They worked pretty well, but they were a bit clunky and awkward to setup. The DW ones seemed a lot easier and more natural, but as you mentioned they cost more. You kind of get used to the Gibraltar's setup, but it something good to look for.

Ang

If you have the opportunity to actually put hands on them, I would. I haven't tried the Tama ones but I have some Gibraltar lightweight ones. They worked pretty well, but they were a bit clunky and awkward to setup. The DW ones seemed a lot easier and more natural, but as you mentioned they cost more. You kind of get used to the Gibraltar's setup, but it something good to look for.
My problem is no dealers near me have these pre packs or even the UL DW stands on their own. One place has the older DW flat based stands, haven’t seen the Tama ones though.

vyacheslav

I would go for the Tama. It's just as good (if not better than the DW) and is $100 cheaper for the same amount of hardware.

The cymbal stand is the closest yet that anybody has come to the classic Ludwig 1400 from the 60's. The snare stand also has a "regular" tripod, which makes it easier to fit over and around the flat base cymbal and hi-hat stands.

Ang

I would go for the Tama. It's just as good (if not better than the DW) and is $100 cheaper for the same amount of hardware.

The cymbal stand is the closest yet that anybody has come to the classic Ludwig 1400 from the 60's. The snare stand also has a "regular" tripod, which makes it easier to fit over and around the flat base cymbal and hi-hat stands.
Thanks for the input.

jornthedrummer

Silver Member
I got the Yamaha stuff. It’s incredibly lightweight and works well.
I know you didn’t ask about Yamaha, but anyway.

PineyplayParadiddles

I wanted lightweight hardware and bought regular 6000 stuff because I play larger cymbals. I checked out the DW UL stuff recently and it probably is sturdy enough but I feel like the 6000 stuff is less wobbly. However I saw a Peter Erskine clinic a while back and he was using the Tama stuff and it looked very sturdy. I got to play with some at Graham Russell Drums a few weeks ago and it's extremely well made.

Unless you feel brand loyal to DW I'd go with the Tama classic stands, the teeth on the stands are very refined and you can get the right angle with them. They're light but feel very sturdy, the hi hat and snare stands are great too.