Dw Lugs UGLY!!!!!

I like look of the DW lugs better than the lugs on some of my other kits. The chrome looks nice and I have no worries about it taking away any sustain or resonance. These babies sing for days.

I also like the long 1 piece lugs on my Pearl Custom Z kit and the eternal classic lugs on my Ludwig's and Gretsch kits. Chrome is good. Long live chrome.

I've always liked the DW lugs..................But, the new DWPS smaller turret lugs do look better IMO

Actually,the George Way days.Those "turret" lugs were designed in the mid 50's by George Way,and used on his drums,till Camco took iniated a hostile take over of George Way drums,with va 51 % stock but out.

Till the early 60's ,Camco was a hardware manufacturer ONLY,and only after taking over George Way,and his patents,did Camco become a drum company.

But I digress.I too am not overly fond of those lugs,but I do love the sound of vintage Camco drums.Their shells were made by Jasper and later on by Keller.Extra care in the bearing edges is what gave Camco drums their characteristic warm sound.

Camco was also the only drum company, that would mount Rogers hardware at the factory,on their drums if a customer wanted it.

Some Camco afficinatos dispute this,but it's true.Rogers hardware was at the time ,considered the state of the art.

Steve B

I am glad to see someone set the record straight. Camco didn't do anything innovative. Their claim to fame is as an early corporate raider. DW's DNA comes from George Way. George also was the guy behind Leedy. George was an early pioneer and innovator and a drum man through and through. I do remember Camco offering to mount Rogers brackets, and such, but not the beavertail lugs and such. Can you confirm the extent of their offering? Yes Rogers hardware was the best by a mile of any company in the 1950s, 60s, 70s, and into the 80s.

Man..i totally dig DW's lug...even more than the smaller performance. SONOR lugs really are the coolest..the 80's lug?..that looks semi ludwigish but blockier...llllove! that lug. I remember many moons ago ordering a Sonor lug just to look at it...touch it..feel it..gaze at it. I still have it and cherish it. I really need to have it insured in case of a fire..flood..or natural disaster.

On a 12" tom, 12 lugs at 60 grams a lug is 720 grams. That's well over a pound and a half just in lugs. I still dig the resolved tone and they do sustain.

I could only imagine what 10 gram lugs would sound like.

Drum set lugs are a bit like vanity registration plates on a car. While in the driver's seat you don't see them and probably shouldn't be thinking about them.

Weird Al did a great video about First World Problems...

Last edited:
I dont really get it. I think the lugs are a bit big, but never found them ugly. They are circles, just like drums and cymbals. What's not to like? <---fishing for real answers as ugly is an opinion that no one ever really explains

I really don't think any company's lugs are ugly. I do like some more than others though. The lugs that Premier used on their concert toms back in the 70s were really nice.
s-l300.jpg

As long as lugs work, I don't really have a problem with them. Some lugs are not really my cup of tea, like Sonor and DW and Mapex, but after all it is just a matter of personal taste. Which is - from a musical point of view - unimportant.

Back