Dw Lugs UGLY!!!!!

I like the DW lugs. Big lugs have a certain appeal on the right drum.

this puppies on the design series are small and sexy. i like them

DesignWhite4.JPG

They're definitely going for the cyborg look there, V! Those things look heavy too. Do they add as much weight as they appear to?

I can't speak specifically for the current DW lugs, but my 60's Camco's are the heaviest set I own. They don't go out any more, strictly for home use for that reason alone. You just have to get a finish that overpowers the lugs.

The size and shape of the lugs don't bother me, but their suspension system to me isn't very attractive at all. Big giant hunk of metal covering the finish, surely there has to be a more visually appealing way.

I don't get why you'd want that much surface area dampening the shell, especially on the small toms.

And I can't say I find them visually appealing either. The mini ones on that Design series kit look alright though.

Henri lets not forget the very beautiful and very British Hayman and Staccoto lugs.

Attachments

• hayman-showman-big-sound-drum-kit-lugs-630-80.jpg
    hayman-showman-big-sound-drum-kit-lugs-630-80.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,457
  • RHY135_gear_stac_crop1-630-80.jpg
    RHY135_gear_stac_crop1-630-80.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,151
I'm in the minority. I like the lug casings. The only shame is that the lug casings, combined with the STM mounts, cover up a lot of real estate on the smaller toms.

Yeah.. I'm with this guy. Like the lugs, dislike the mounts.

This thread would offend some dw owners.. OP did you really have to?

this puppies on the design series are small and sexy. i like them

DesignWhite4.JPG

There's something wrong with those. Sonor SQ2 are very attractive to me. Even my cheap force snare looks good with a similar design. Gretsch drums are an Art Decco lug. Im not sure if directly or not but in that style like everything from that time it seems....

There's something wrong with those. Sonor SQ2 are very attractive to me. Even my cheap force snare looks good with a similar design. Gretsch drums are an Art Decco lug. Im not sure if directly or not but in that style like everything from that time it seems....

i might be that your use to seeing in bigger size on dw kits

I thought the PDP/Workshop oval turret was a bit more elegant. I remember seeing DWs for the first time with Jason Bonham behind them and I thought for years that they were hideous looking. Eventually I played a few DW kits and got over the appearance aspect in favor of the way they sounded and handled.

The tom mounts are still better for me than RIMS, though Tama's latest take on that is pretty slick. I wish I'd thought of that!

Gretsch drums are an Art Decco lug. Im not sure if directly or not but in that style like everything from that time it seems....

While Gretsch lugs do have elements of Art Deco style, I think Ludwig, Leedy and Rogers took far more cues in style.

Attachments

• 6427-4851-thickbox.jpg
    6427-4851-thickbox.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,204
  • 6440-4858-thickbox.jpg
    6440-4858-thickbox.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 1,223
  • image026.jpg
    image026.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 1,145
  • LudwigImperialLugs.jpg
    LudwigImperialLugs.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,424
  • lug-rogers.jpg
    lug-rogers.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,266
Last edited:
I thought the PDP/Workshop oval turret was a bit more elegant!

I like the oval lug on my PDP X7 maple. It gives it an old school look and all the chrome from the lugs and mounts looks beautiful on the white finish but I am often left wondering, like was said, how much do they kill the sustain especially on the 8". I've felt the difference between the shells having none of the lugs on to all of them being back on and they do end up weighing a lot. The heavier they are and the more surface area that touches the shell, will in the end kill some of the sustain no doubt. It also doesn't help that they are fairly thin shells.Though it really helps having Ambassadors or Emperors on them. The thicker the head is, the sooner you notice it starts to choke and shorten the sustain even further.

As for DW's lugs. They're alright, I actually like the Performance series the most as it's a happy medium between them being too big or too small. As for DW's mounts. I genuinely dislike them. Although they are visually appealing, especially being all chrome, their design is flawed. They try to have them where they are just touching and floating on the lugs, but they wrap or hug the shell which hurts the sustain and the mounts on my X7 had to be adjusted because they were pressing against a couple of the tension rods which made it an extreme PITA to tune or change heads. You literally had to press the mount against the shell to free up the tension rod so it could turn when you finger tighten. Then forget about using a torque key as it was always uneven.

Even if I give the X7 maple drums an 8.5 out of 10 for quality and sound at the $699 price I paid for them new, I give DW's mounts a 3.5. I see where they were going with the design but IMO of course, I don't think it works. I am seriously thinking of trying a different set of mounts and ones that work with a 6 lug 8" tom if I can find it.

EDIT: Also just to add and because of the design and experience I've had with DW mounts, I won't be buying another set of DW series drums in the future. Actually, 50% because of the mounts and 50% because I'd like to try another company and set.

Not much difference between...

DrumWorkshop...

qyam1u.jpg

I have that exact same drum. Or used to. The blue didn't go with anything I had so I stripped the wrap off (and found it was scarfed into the shell and had to fill) and refinished it amber lacquer. Still a great side snare.

Back when they were Camcos seeing them always made me think someone who doesn't follow the crowd and knows great drums. Now it's more like someone who follows the crowd or has the most prolific endorsements.

Back