Dw Lugs UGLY!!!!!

T

The Old Hyde

I don't like the DW lugs at all. Never really seen a good looking Sonor lug either.

gretsch-o-rama

While Gretsch lugs do have elements of Art Deco style, I think Ludwig, Leedy and Rogers took far more cues in style.
To be honest Im not really familiar with Art Deco style but Id have to say the Gretsch lugs have the "smoothest" appearance which seems to be an Art Deco thing...

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Ok ok before I ruffle feathers here, let me clarify... I LOVE DW sound, which I guess is the main component of any instrument, they are extremely well crafted and have some amazing stunning finishes. BUT... Those lugs are terrible....
I know it's their trademark and would probably never steer away from them as they have been with them back to the camco days... But I would buy a set of these for sure for even more money if you had the option of say some tube lugs or beaver tail lugs..
I'm sorry to ruffle feathers I know I'm going to hear it but man those lugs are ugly...

Sonor best lugs hands down......
Actually,the George Way days.Those "turret" lugs were designed in the mid 50's by George Way,and used on his drums,till Camco took iniated a hostile take over of George Way drums,with va 51 % stock but out.

Till the early 60's ,Camco was a hardware manufacturer ONLY,and only after taking over George Way,and his patents,did Camco become a drum company.

But I digress.I too am not overly fond of those lugs,but I do love the sound of vintage Camco drums.Their shells were made by Jasper and later on by Keller.Extra care in the bearing edges is what gave Camco drums their characteristic warm sound.

Camco was also the only drum company, that would mount Rogers hardware at the factory,on their drums if a customer wanted it.

Some Camco afficinatos dispute this,but it's true.Rogers hardware was at the time ,considered the state of the art.

Steve B

larryz

Platinum Member
In addition, DW lugs don't have cute little names like the classic others, such as beavertail, bread and butter, bowtie, etc.

camcoman

In addition, DW lugs don't have cute little names like the classic others, such as beavertail, bread and butter, bowtie, etc.
Sure they do they are called turret lugs. Back in the Camco days they were used on the Aristocrat line, they also had the tuxedo lug which was a center mount similar to the Ludwig club date.

opentune

Platinum Member
To be honest Im not really familiar with Art Deco style but Id have to say the Gretsch lugs have the "smoothest" appearance which seems to be an Art Deco thing...
You're on to something. Slingerland too, there lugs are very similar.

Art Deco - check out the shape of the upper parts of Chrysler Building in NYC ....looks like a Slingerland, Gretsch or Ludwig lug.

Dutch

Aren't Sonor lugs just baby turret(DW) lugs?
Or they multiplied and had twin turrets?
Lol... A lug is a lug is a lug, right?

Perhaps we don't have enough real problems to worry about and like the Romans our decadence will be our downfall...

Dutch

porter

Platinum Member
you either love them or you hate them, theres never a in between when it comes to the camco turret lugs
Whoops, I'm in between. Do I have to hand in my Fancy Percussionist corsage now?

I mean, I don't think they're the ugliest things in the world, but they are large and likely shell-sustain-detrimental. If you don't like it, don't buy a DW. Easy as that!

I think Ego's mini tubes are some gorgeous lugs. Tama Starclassics as well.

Mikecore

Silver Member
I like the oval lug on my PDP X7 maple. It gives it an old school look and all the chrome from the lugs and mounts looks beautiful on the white finish but I am often left wondering, like was said, how much do they kill the sustain especially on the 8". I've felt the difference between the shells having none of the lugs on to all of them being back on and they do end up weighing a lot. The heavier they are and the more surface area that touches the shell, will in the end kill some of the sustain no doubt.
I have 4-lug Pearl and 6-lug DW and PDP 8" toms, and I have yet to experience sustain issues. Small drums tuned to higher notes are going to be inherently shorter-spoken anyway. However, it got me thinking and I took a business card and was able to slide it between the outer edge of a DW lug and the shell (about 1/8" in), so at least the wrapped 8" drums have a tight enough curve that the actual area of contact with the shell is reduced somewhat. Yes, there are 12 of the little darlings on there, but that's because John Good seems to find 5-lug drums offensive in some way.

X

XplosiveDrummer

I have 4-lug Pearl and 6-lug DW and PDP 8" toms, and I have yet to experience sustain issues. Small drums tuned to higher notes are going to be inherently shorter-spoken anyway. However, it got me thinking and I took a business card and was able to slide it between the outer edge of a DW lug and the shell (about 1/8" in), so at least the wrapped 8" drums have a tight enough curve that the actual area of contact with the shell is reduced somewhat. Yes, there are 12 of the little darlings on there, but that's because John Good seems to find 5-lug drums offensive in some way.
Yes and damn him for it lol! It's difficult to find 6 lug hoops for an 8 inch whether TF or die. I talked to a Gibraltar rep and inquired about Gibraltar possibly making a 6 lug 8 inch hoop in TF and/or die cast so we'll see what the future holds. Could probably ask other places to look into it as well I suppose. As for the business card deal, not gonna happen on the X7 toms lol. They are sealed to the shell, especially because of the rubber "gasket" on the back of the lug. When tightened the lug makes 100% contact with the shell.

It doesn't destroy the sustain, sensitivity or what have you and more than likely helps to focus the tone of the drum with all that weight on there and further makes these thin Chinese shells more punchy. I dig them quite a bit but part of me is left wondering how well I would like a set that has a shell thickness like the discontinued Pearl Vision maple sets with a 10mm thick floor tom and bass drum I believe, as well as thick ass toms lol. I would love to have a 6pc, 8,10,12,16, 20,14 set of those in the champagne or silver sparkle. I bet that floor tom and kick are monstrous!

Beam Me Up Scotty

Silver Member
I myself prefer a small, unobtrusive lug. With that in mind, I do not like any turret lugs that I have seen before. Just not a fan of 'em. Oh well. If the drum sounds good, the lug doesn't matter.

mrmike

Silver Member
I guess I don't really mind the looks of the DW lugs but to me the best part about them is that they perfect for the tom mount that does not put stress on the rods.

Attachments