DW Frequent Flyer

So I'm looking for a new kit and I wanted to know how the community feels about this kit? Right now I like the idea of having a smaller kit and this thing looks gorgeous! I guess my main concerns about the kit are how versatile the kit is? I play mostly blues, pop, funk, and a little bit of hip hop. But I really don't play anything to heavy. So what do you guys think?

I like those Frequent Flyer kits - the standard sizes of 12/14/20 is well-represented throughout drumming history as being the go-to sizes for a lot of music. Ringo's first Beatles kit was a 12/14/20, as was Charlie Watt's kit in the Rolling Stones. A lot of Motown music was made on the house kit (12/14/20, or 13/16/22), so the Frequent Flyer will fit in to rock 'n' roll. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Pork Pie also makes a nice 12/14/20 Hip Pig kit, and those are great too - and a little cheaper since they don't come with a snare. But those are the traditional sizes of 8x12/14x14/14x20. I would consider those as well. And Ludwig does make the Club Dates in those same traditional sizes which are also cheaper than the DW's too.

Yeah I had read through that. It really didn't talk about other genres outside of jazz, but I appreciate the link!

OK - didn't know you'd seen it. I think you'd be fine with those sizes.
Like Bo says, there's plenty of others to pick from too, unless those are really
appealing to you for some reason like the shallow bass drum depth.

Are talking about a specific "used" kit in our area? If so I looked at it and I really like it. They already dropped the price they were asking once.

Are talking about a specific "used" kit in our area? If so I looked at it and I really like it. They already dropped the price they were asking once.

I wasn't but I saw that kit last night when I was doing my weekly check on their website.. I am going to try and check it out on Saturday. What kind of shape is it in?

I like those Frequent Flyer kits - the standard sizes of 12/14/20 is well-represented throughout drumming history as being the go-to sizes for a lot of music. Ringo's first Beatles kit was a 12/14/20, as was Charlie Watt's kit in the Rolling Stones. A lot of Motown music was made on the house kit (12/14/20, or 13/16/22), so the Frequent Flyer will fit in to rock 'n' roll. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Pork Pie also makes a nice 12/14/20 Hip Pig kit, and those are great too - and a little cheaper since they don't come with a snare. But those are the traditional sizes of 8x12/14x14/14x20. I would consider those as well. And Ludwig does make the Club Dates in those same traditional sizes which are also cheaper than the DW's too.

I'll be honest, I really love the looks of the dw, especially in the white.. But the pork pie kit looks interesting..

I wasn't but I saw that kit last night when I was doing my weekly check on their website.. I am going to try and check it out on Saturday. What kind of shape is it in?

I seen it when it first came in (last month) and though I didn't inspect it thoroughly, I did look it over and thought it was in great shape. I'm not sure what year it is but I believe it came with hard shell cases.

I seen it when it first came in (last month) and though I didn't inspect it thoroughly, I did look it over and thought it was in great shape. I'm not sure what year it is but I believe it came with hard shell cases.

Yeah the cases sound like a nice addition. In the pic the drums looked a little scratched but it could have been the lighting.. I'll check them out.

As for the sizes I was more worried about the depth of the drums.

As for the sizes I was more worried about the depth of the drums.

I think it's negligible. I personally hate 14 floor toms that are shorter than 14 (I'm a traditionalist), but in practice, you don't lose much with the 11" depth. I had a DW Collector's 14x11 tom that I converted into a floor tom, and it didn't sound all that different in a musical context. I don't play a floor tom smaller than 16x16 these days anyway. 12x20 bass drums are not new. Ludwig used to make a 12x20 and those sounded good back in the 50s and 60s.

I think it's negligible. I personally hate 14 floor toms that are shorter than 14 (I'm a traditionalist), but in practice, you don't lose much with the 11" depth. I had a DW Collector's 14x11 tom that I converted into a floor tom, and it didn't sound all that different in a musical context. I don't play a floor tom smaller than 16x16 these days anyway. 12x20 bass drums are not new. Ludwig used to make a 12x20 and those sounded good back in the 50s and 60s.

Thanks for the advice. My price range is around 1k-1500, and I just really dig the look of this kit. And I really want a bass drum around 20in and under. I'll keep you guys posted.

Well guys just ordered a frequent flyer! Should be in later this week, I will post pics when I get it! Now I just need to figure out what heads to get!

Thanks. I also just ordered one. Pretty excited. Don't see many bag options, though, for these shallow sizes.

Back