DW Frequent Flyer Kit

Ron_M

I didn't get that from any of someguy's posts, Elvis. Seems a straight shooter from the first. IMO, always best to err on the side of not reading into things too much. If someone wants to give me a hard time, they better be direct about it, or it's going over my head, lol.

acsunda

Hey, you've had that Frequent Flyer for a few days now.
Have you had much chance to play it?
How does it seem to you?
(feel free to respond with a complete review =) )

Elvis

Yeah, I've been playing them for a few weeks now, and man they sound great. It's really everything I've been looking for in a kit, from sizes to finish (although, I won't rule out re-wrapping them in a different finish someday, probably something glittery).

Toms: The only tom heads I had on hand at first were clear pinstripes, and they sounded just "good" not "great", but I have since put Evans coated G2's on them and they sound great, warm but bright and punchy, full but not overpowering; a good balance. I also really like the simplicity of the bass drum tom mount with the L-rod.

Kick: I love the size of the kick, particularly the 12" depth. I put a clear Aquarian Super Kick II on it, and it is punchy but still has enough boom. Again, a nice balance. I'm also a big fan of simpler, lighter bass drum spurs. I've always hated those big, bulky spurs bolted to the shell. These are lighter and simpler.

I'm playing these with a Mapex Saturn snare. I thought about selling it, to buy a DW design snare to go with this kit, but ultimately decided that Mapex matched the sound of the kit really well, so I decided to keep it. It's a maple shell, as are the DW shells, so they compliment each other well.

I generally only own one kit at time (because I can only ever afford a new kit when I sell an old kit), and for the last few years I've been looking for a truly all-purpose kit that could work in virtually any musical application, and this kit seems to fit the bill. This is just a really great all-purpose kit. Very versatile. I've done a little bit of home recording with it (just my little setup, four drum mics and a mixer) and I think it records really well. I'd definitely recommend this kit to anybody looking for a small-ish, versatile, kit that they can use in most musical applications. It's big enough and loud enough to use in a big rock situation, but small enough to work in a coffee house. All in all, I love it.

I will try to record a video sample and upload it in the next day or so.

Elvis

Silver Member
Wow! Talk about your favourable reviews!
Sounds like you really hit the jackpot this time.
Very happy for you acsunda. I hope you get to enjoy that kit for many years.
Thanks for the detailed review and I look forward to watching that video. (y)

Elvis

acsunda

Wow! Talk about your favourable reviews!
Sounds like you really hit the jackpot this time.
Very happy for you acsunda. I hope you get to enjoy that kit for many years.
Thanks for the detailed review and I look forward to watching that video. (y)

Elvis

I think the volume was down on my mixer because it’s kind of quiet, so you might need to crank up the volume. But otherwise I think this is a good example of how they sound.

Elvis

Silver Member
Wow, those do sound pretty good!
Man, you guys are gonna make me change my tune on DW!
Anyway, very happy for you acsunda.
Again, congrats. :)

acsunda

Wow, those do sound pretty good!
Man, you guys are gonna make me change my tune on DW!
Anyway, very happy for you acsunda.
Again, congrats. :)

Thanks!