DW Drums manufacturing during this pandemic

GCRoberts

Just in case anyone else is waiting to buy new DW Drums like myself, here is a question I posted to DW Drums a few days ago.

Email to DW Drums: I've been looking to buy DW Performance Series Shells (cherry lacquer) from Sweetwater, but they are out of stock. With non-essential businesses being shut down currently in most states, can I assume that means you won't be fulfilling orders for awhile?

Response: So we do have a very small crew in production. Orders will be fulfilled but there just may be an extended wait time. Thank you for your patience...etc.

C.M. Jones

I don't play DW, but that's a reasonable response. Some "nonessential" factories and warehouses have been shut down completely during the pandemic. Most businesses are doing their best to attend to clients' needs under very restricted conditions.

In the meantime, let's all be thankful for the equipment we currently own, as well as for possessing good health and the capacity to drum at all. Lots of folks have suffered over the last few months. If you aren't one of them, make the most of your current resources.

drumnut87

at least they responded to you with a decent response rather than fobbing you off with no reply or a "well no shit" kinda reply.

Scottie15

I have a 4 piece Tama kit on order through a drum shop out of the east coast. I haven't spoken directly with Tama, but based on their social media videos, and the response I got from the shop I'm working with, Tama is also still working at the shop to fulfill orders. Luckily for me, the sales contact I was working with at the shop said they already had one on order before I contacted them.

While I realize this post is geared primarily towards DW orders, just wanted to give everyone an understanding of what other manufacturers are doing as well.

PaisteGuy

It’s frustrating. My DW order was to be finished mid to end of March. :( It could be a few more months for all of us.

AZDRUMZ

I have a 4 piece Tama kit on order through a drum shop out of the east coast. I haven't spoken directly with Tama, but based on their social media videos, and the response I got from the shop I'm working with, Tama is also still working at the shop to fulfill orders. Luckily for me, the sales contact I was working with at the shop said they already had one on order before I contacted them.

While I realize this post is geared primarily towards DW orders, just wanted to give everyone an understanding of what other manufacturers are doing as well.
well, China is nearly over this thing. that is assuming that you're getting one of the lines made in china.

Scottie15

I thought the Performance series comes from California? I was told only the Design series comes from Taiwan, which explains the big price difference.

In my previous post, I referenced the fact that I was waiting for a Tama kit, currently being constructed in Japan. I brought up the Tama kit because they still had skeleton crew in Japan working to fulfill orders.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I know that the shells are made in Oxnard, but I think the hardware (lugs, hoops, etc) are made overseas somehwere
Most likely, since labor is what makes the costs go up. But on my last visit to Pro Drum in Hollywood, they have all three in stock: a Collectors, a Performance, and a Design, and other than the obvious size difference of the lugs, the fit and finish of all of them is very well done. You could get any one of them and be happy. Of course, the top shelf stuff gives you all the options. The middle has less options, and the cheapest has the least options, but they all look top notch. I was impressed.

PaisteGuy

They're back to work? How did you get confirmation, by phone or?

I got a call last week confirming that the shells on my order were done and they wanted to confirm something before going to paint this week. It was mentioned they have a small crew working to fulfill orders.