DW Drums from a Non-DW Player's Perspective

Leica M Cameras cost about 7000$ without even a objective, compared to DSLR which much more qualities, which cost only a quarter of this.

Only very few of real photographers use them, much to pricey....but something magic about the pictures and bokeh really exists

But there are rich boys loving to show the red Leica dots on their camera - nobody likes these guys, but they keep this little manufacturer alive....

I'm a pro photographer. Leica does have their "ambassadors" like any other brand. However, most Leica users are upper class hobbyist photographers or artistic photographers. Leica's bread and butter come from their optics which is used in many applications (science, medical, etc) and of course, their name (example Panasonic cameras with Leica optics).

Here's one thing to consider when talking drums:

Many will pay $3000+ for a computer only to upgrade it in 3-4 years. People will pay $30k+ for a car and get 10-15 years out of it. The $7000 drum set (more with hardware and cymbals) can be a lifetime kit. Plus, years down the road, have a decent resale value. If playing drums are important enough in your life, that is not a bad long term purchase. Plus, there are many fine drum sets at all price points. Its all how you look at it.

Cameras, drums, cars, etc., all will have their detractors and fans for various reasons. The CEO of Nikon once said, and I paraphrase, "if you are using a modern day DSLR, regardless of brand, and not getting quality photographs, Its not the camera."
In my opinion drums in the $1500 range and up, regardless of brand, are made very well. Its all in what you like.
I was aware of all the dw haters but still bought a set anyway, because I wasn't out to please anyone but myself. Yup, its got round lugs. Its also got round cymbals and round drums.
Love what you got and dont sweat the rest.

I have owned and gigged DW drums, BUT....

My experience with DW can best be described with a Corvette, Corvette Car Club analogy. While I really like the Corvette (except the C4), and they are a blast to drive, there is one thing that drove me insane.....some of the fervent and entitled owners. After spending several track days (guest HPDE driver at BMW Club and Corvette Club combined events), I cannot think of a more concentrated group of condescending humans I'd ever been around. Not all, but far too many of them.

Now, I loved my DWs and they were a blast to play, but I had much the same type experience with some of the DW owners on many of the drum forums, and Facebook. I have been berated for simple things like asking parts questions, ignited quite a backlash for using the term "pre-Collectors", and other seemingly innocuous things.....or so I thought. Instead of educate, it just got mean.

I do not generalize and assume ALL Corvette and DW owners are like this. Many are great people and contribute much valuable resources the to their passion, and their community. But, I get royal treatment from my Ludwig brethren, and from a vast majority of the rest of the drum world.

I have owned and gigged DW drums, BUT....

My experience with DW can best be described with a Corvette, Corvette Car Club analogy. While I really like the Corvette (except the C4), and they are a blast to drive, there is one thing that drove me insane.....some of the fervent and entitled owners. After spending several track days (guest HPDE driver at BMW Club and Corvette Club combined events), I cannot think of a more concentrated group of condescending humans I'd ever been around. Not all, but far too many of them.

Now, I loved my DWs and they were a blast to play, but I had much the same type experience with some of the DW owners on many of the drum forums, and Facebook. I have been berated for simple things like asking parts questions, ignited quite a backlash for using the term "pre-Collectors", and other seemingly innocuous things.....or so I thought. Instead of educate, it just got mean.

I do not generalize and assume ALL Corvette and DW owners are like this. Many are great people and contribute much valuable resources the to their passion, and their community. But, I get royal treatment from my Ludwig brethren, and from a vast majority of the rest of the drum world.
I've observed the same as a member of a couple of DW groups. Not all members of course, but more than I'd like to see. I'm also a member of some Gretsch groups and what a great bunch that is. It sounds like your Ludwig brethren. One thing I noticed is members of the Gretsch groups tend to be older, so maybe age is a factor.

I played DW Designs and Performances at rehearsal spaces and they sound quite good and loud. I played a Collector's kit with K Customs as backline, but those are quiet and dead sounding. The bass drum just goes "boooooooom" for about 5 seconds in the FOH, no articulation. Not sure why, could be tuning and muffling, could be stage volume, or miking.

DCP did a Drum Workshop line comparison of Design vs Performance vs Collectors Maple.

They all sound good, and once you get a mic on them, they sound even better. To my aged and imperfect ears, it sounds as though as they go up through the lines, there's more natural bottom end, especially in the floor toms. Again, YMMV.

And how many threads like this one have us DW owners had to endure? There have been many threads slamming DW drums, but I don't see the same thing with other brands. How come?
I think it’s because of the “tuned shell” marketing, with the note imprinted on the inner wall. To some it’s amazing, to others it’s marketing BS. Add their pricing to the mix and people wanna pull back the curtain and find the Wizard.

And how many threads like this one have us DW owners had to endure? There have been many threads slamming DW drums, but I don't see the same thing with other brands. How come?
I agree with you. But the thread is 3 years old. The best way to let such stupid threads die is by not reviving them. I never see the point of threads subjectively slamming drums other than rant.

I dunno. To like DW or not to like DW? The question is approaching the realm of age old philosophical pondering.

As a new DW owner, I’m more than happy with my set. They sound great, feel great and fit and finish are flawless. They tune up easily and hold their tuning. I’m excited when I sit down to play them and perfectly content after playing them.

I dunno. To like DW or not to like DW? The question is approaching the realm of age old philosophical pondering.

As a new DW owner, I’m more than happy with my set. They sound great, feel great and fit and finish are flawless. They tune up easily and hold their tuning. I’m excited when I sit down to play them and perfectly content after playing them.
That’s all that matters mate! (y) ?

I have to agree with this sentiment. I have several different sets, and my DW Performance set is simply easy to work with. The toms tuned up to my preferred pitches without any issues at all, and all of them have at least a 2 step range before choking. I have two DW Performance snare drums, one 5.5" and one 6.5" in depth. They tune up very easily as well, and I have little to no snare buzz.

By way of contrast, I have an month-old Ludwig Classic Maple snare drum (6.5x14) and it's a pain in the butt to tune. In fact, I still can't get the buzz out. I'm keeping it because it's the same wrap as my vintage Ludwig set and they look good together. (And also because I installed a Ludwig Tone Control myself, thereby losing the ability to return it ;) ). Still, I consider the Ludwig a waste of $500.

In terms of owners, I'll agree on the comparison between DW and Corvette owners, and I'll take it a step further. I know a couple of drummers who have Collector's Series, and they look down their noses at the "amateur" Performance Series. I can talk to these guys for a while, but their arrogance comes though and when that happens, I start talking about my vintage sets, just to deflate them.

Pearl gets it's fair share of ? thrown at them for their pipe arms. The whole entire manufacturer is a joke to some because of mounting hardware. Ignorance and stupidity hath no boundaries.

Pearl gets it's fair share of ? thrown at them for their pipe arms. The whole entire manufacturer is a joke to some because of mounting hardware. Ignorance and stupidity hath no boundaries.
I know, right? They could’ve designed a much better system but some plumber said, “Good enough!”

flamesuit: on

I don’t like the way they look, but those arms are really practical. Having the ability to easily slide a tom forward or backward an inch or two made fine tuning my drum positions easier.

My perspective:

DW Drum hardware is quite good, but I wouldn't say its the best as I really think TAMA and YAMAHA are more innovative when it comes to features on drums themselves. I think DW pedals and Hi Hat stands also fall into the same category of being extremely well designed next to TAMA. (And Yamaha I guess, as all 3 offer unique approaches in 2020.)

When I first got my PDP CX kit almost 17 years ago, Asian drum makers couldn't touch the "workshop series" hardware lower end PDP kits had. It was clearly the best in that price segment looking back at it. The only thing that could have been improved were the hoops as they were quite thin 1.6mm and didn't really match the shell composition or thickness like some higher end drums that also use 1.6mm profiles.

Shell wise, I actually prefer the 3rd party Design and USA Performance kits over Collectors. The problem I have with the current Design series is that they offer limited shell packs and finishes, but I understand that's 100% due to cost and profit margins. When it comes to the performance line, I feel like I'm limited to one drum shop if I want to mix and match drums as I only see Sweetwater offering a config I like. Sound wise, its a toss up between these two depending on heads. Collectors likely also sound good with a certain heads, but the price point is generally out of reach when it comes to my personal "value" in drums.

If I had any suggestion for DW, that would be open yourself up to experimentation with different hoops like Diecast on a certain newer line up. I know 2.3mm hoops generally provide a balanced sound to the shell profile chosen, but some people want different things when moving on to a potentially higher end kit.

While I like the STM mounting system, it also seems a bit dated these days? I'd generally like to see a newer innovative approach that doesn't put pressure on lugs stems/rods when tuning.

The true pitch tuning rods are nice, but I also find them annoying coming from other kits that I can swap heads and tune much easier.

Other than that, I really like DW as a brand. Just think they're missing opportunity in some areas, but that could also be said about other bigger drum makers when it comes to price segments. DW has clearly done something right when it comes to marketing though. There wouldn't be people hating on them if they were truly an underdog.

Last edited:
I am indifferent to DW, they are heavy hitters of the industry. Wouldn’t mind taking one for a spin.

Yessr they do.
If all people have to complain about is tom arms thats not a bad thing. I chuckle everytime I see a quote referring to the Pearl arms.
As far as looks they are not any more ‘prettier’ than another mounting system, I don’t know why I would gaze at mounts but... they are not difficult to deal with any more than L rods, swivel balls, or even rims mounts.

I Would rather have large tube arms than the rims suspension type mount most prominent companies seem to use.
Those tom tension rods are grasping cliffhangers for the wafering mounts; and how does it not affect sound pressuring on tension rods is baffling.

Back