DW Drums from a Non-DW Player's Perspective

I know, right? They could’ve designed a much better system but some plumber said, “Good enough!”

flamesuit: on
That's what plumbers do. Dont fix what ain't broke, unlike electricians who are always trying to improve things. Its simplicity at its finest.

The pipe arms span all models and many decades. How much $$$ do you think Pearl saved by doing this? Or better yet, how much $$$ have the other manufacturers spent chasing a better idea?

I get people think they are ugly. That's not why we play drums. Its discrediting the piano because the bench is ugly.

In terms of owners, I'll agree on the comparison between DW and Corvette owners, and I'll take it a step further. I know a couple of drummers who have Collector's Series, and they look down their noses at the "amateur" Performance Series. I can talk to these guys for a while, but their arrogance comes though and when that happens, I start talking about my vintage sets, just to deflate them.

Whenever I meet this type of person, I just tell them this bit of info that I posted in the Pearl vs DW thread:

IMHO DW's Performance and Collectors (maple) series drums are siblings, nearly twins (if you will). They come from the same parents: Their father, the wood supply, is the same. They are birthed from the same mother, (shell molds), and are dressed in similar clothing (hardware) from the same factory. They even get their makeup and hair (paint/finish) done at the same place.

The difference between the two really comes down to shell plies and lay-up. There are other shells that don't have re-rings in the Collectors series and DW could have easily called put the HVX shell under the Collectors series, slapped on Collectors badges and full-size lugs, claws, etc. as well as the Collectors price tag.

So to me, and it's just my opinion, the Performance are HVX-Collectors w/ slightly smaller (preferred IMO) lugs & claws, and a better price tag. :)

That's what plumbers do. Dont fix what ain't broke, unlike electricians who are always trying to improve things. Its simplicity at its finest.

The pipe arms span all models and many decades. How much $$$ do you think Pearl saved by doing this? Or better yet, how much $$$ have the other manufacturers spent chasing a better idea?

I get people think they are ugly. That's not why we play drums. Its discrediting the piano because the bench is ugly.
I've never liked the Pearl tom mounts (way ugly) but what bothers me the most about them is that they're not included with the shell packs! "Arm and Clamp Sold Separately" so add another $150-225 to your cost for one of their sets.

I've never liked the Pearl tom mounts (way ugly) but what bothers me the most about them is that they're not included with the shell packs! "Arm and Clamp Sold Separately" so add another $150-225 to your cost for one of their sets.
Wow really? I had no idea. That seems a bit silly. I mean no hardware (stands, pedals, throne) is one thing, but no mounting hardware? Nothing like buying a new kit you cant set up. That's not cool at all.

Wow really? I had no idea. That seems a bit silly. I mean no hardware (stands, pedals, throne) is one thing, but no mounting hardware? Nothing like buying a new kit you cant set up. That's not cool at all.
Hey guys, the premise of this thread is clearly to give DW and their owners a good shoeing! Can we get back on topic and leave Pearl out of this? :unsure: ;)

I would (and will) buy a DW kit if the price is right.

I want to experience playing as many brands and drum kits as possible. They're like kids to me: each one is unique and possesses some loveable quality - if you just look for it.

- US made.
- Make stuff completely from scratch.
- New designs.
- Nice veneers.

All this makes for higher cost and would for any other type of product, as well.

For a grumpy old guy like me, the best parts are:

- Their hardware.
- They saved Gretsch.

I think DW generally achieve what they're set out to do. I think that's great, I'm just not personally interested in their drums. That's not unique to DW btw. If it's not USA Custom or Broadkaster, dependant on what's out there right now that I know about I'm generally not interested when it comes to regular two headed kit drums.

I was a bit bummed out that the Club Customs are no longer available, but I know that Broadkasters are a better fit for me.

I love DW drums, they sound great. I also love Ludwig Classic Maples, and Tama Starclassic. They all sound great. Just like all kits out there from the same manufacturer, some sound great, some not so much. The quality control of DW Collectors is incredible. Ludwig not so much, and Tama Japan is pretty flawless as well. There are a lot of people that dislike DW, an a lot that like them. In the guitar world I think of DW as PRS. There are many guitar players that won't touch a PRS because it isn't Gibson or Fender and doesn't have that "mojo"....whatever the heck that even means. If you look at a PRS guitar, it is the best constructed instrument out there. I'm blessed enough to have a DW Collector and a Ludwig CM. They're both great, they both sound great, and I'll play either. If you play them side by side, tuned the same, I have to give the leg up to the DW. There is a subtle color to the sound that the Ludwig doesn't have. But at the end of the day, to me the brand is not important. The important thing to me is the quality, do I like the look of it, does it give me what I want in a drum set, and will I hold on to it for a long time. Both DW and Ludwig fit. I'm sure I'd also love a Pearl, or Gretsch, or Sonor, or British Drum Company if I had an opportunity to play one. This is the golden age of drum manufacturing...you can get anything. Anyway, long story short here is why I really like DW: The R&D, the courage to experiment and do crazy wood combos, the quality control, they will last forever, the look (yes, the lugs are cool), the options, and the passion of John Good..They set out to make the best drums in the world, and in my humble & meaningless opinion they pulled it off.

…the look (yes, the lugs are cool),…
?

I remember when Tama introduced the STAR line. After the initial price shock, all us Tama fanbois collectively balked, gagged and whined about the STAR lugs. They look like something H. R. Giger designed (he created the Xenomorph in Alien and the cover art for Brain Salad Surgery).

I own two Tama Starclassic kits (maple and walnut | birch performer) as well as a DW Collectors Maple Standard (not the newer lower pitched SSC kit - don't care for that shell) and LOVE the DW. It is the most sensitive, warm and full sounding of the three.

The Tama kits both generate beautiful fundamentals (just like the DW) but the DW resonates at a lower fundamental frequency giving it that deep, full resonance (thinnest shell of the three). The Tama kits, however, will out project the DW and are almost as sensitive, and they bring a little bit more body and clarity of sound (slightly more high frequencies), and their dynamic range is a bit wider, especially at the top.

Flagship | Pro level instruments truly are all 'the best.' The differences are subtle and only fanatics like us drummers (especially ones like me that have been doing it for 40 years) would even notice.

Last edited:
Back