Dw collectors snare , trade?

ingvald

I have an amazing sounding Dw Maple Mahogany VLT snare drum Collectors 14 x 6. . It sounds amazing, has a GREAT crack and very nice attack! It also has a very kinda woody beautiful tone!

So, it´s just... It works GREAT for funk music, and tight snare work. Alså works great for harder music like rock and metal! But i´ve started to play alot of Pop - backbeat kind´a oriented music so i would just love a little fatter sound... Does anybody have a snare drum ( any kind... but dw preferred ) that would want to trade with me? :)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
If it sounds amazing, you may regret letting it go. I don't understand why you can't get the fat sound you are looking for, especially with a mahogany drum. I guess you want a deeper drum, right? To my ear, fat means a wood snare. I'm sorry, I have nothing to trade. I'd be tuning it low with loose snares for max fat.

What is your definition of fat?

T

The Old Hyde

If interested, I have a ludwig supraphonic LM400 that i am about to get rid of. mid 70's i think, ill have to check the badge again.

Retrovertigo

I have a 14x5 collectors maple 10+6 ply. I would very interested in trading. I'm just not into it and would love to try a mahogany. Let me know.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Going deeper will get you some more "fatness", but not a whole lot TBH. I don't see why you can't get a fairly fat sound out of your existing snare though. If you really want low & fat, then a real mahogany snare, thin (if it's ply) shell, wood hoops, & 8" deep is the way to go. If I were you, I'd be trying some head & tuning combinations before switching something you already like.

ingvald

Well maybe i could try some head and tuning stuff? But... i always feel... it´s f**n´hard to tune snare drums :p

it´s made out of 8 lugs? 2 mahogany... the rest maple... are 8 lugs to much to get at deep fat sound?

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Well maybe i could try some head and tuning stuff? But... i always feel... it´s f**n´hard to tune snare drums :p

it´s made out of 8 lugs? 2 mahogany... the rest maple... are 8 lugs to much to get at deep fat sound?
I'm thinking you mean 8 plies. If most of the shell is maple, it will sound mostly like a maple snare. Maple concentrates on the midrange, with balanced highs, & not too much low end. A perfect all round snare really, & very capable of getting a fat sound. OK, a deeper snare made from a softer wood will offer a fatter sound, but your existing snare can get enough of that vibe to satisfy most. What heads are you using?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Can you not just tune it a bit lower to fatten it up. Put on thicker heads? I can make a 6 inch drum sound pretty fat

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
That's not a dw. The badge says wb. :p

So let me get this straight... you'd rather trade it than tune it? That drum will absolutely do what you want. I hate the word should, but you should consider a tune bot.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Sonny I think that video is great. So much cheaper than buying a new snare just to get a fat sound. that reso head being tight like that is exactly how I do mine for the sensitive ghost note sound.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
That's not a dw. The badge says wb. :p

So let me get this straight... you'd rather trade it than tune it? That drum will absolutely do what you want. I hate the word should, but you should consider a tune bot.
yeah that makes no sense, a $14 head and a few minutes with a drum key. Tuning is part of the art, that's like a guitar player saying he doesn't want to tune because it's a pain.

If you want less ring try a coated ps3 or one of evans dry series heads. There is no reason you can't get the sound you are looking for with that drum.