DW Collectors Series...A cut above?

Question: is DW "Collectors Series" better than the 'regular' DW drums sold in Sam Ash/Guitar Center? Is there anything special or particular about them?

(Sorry, its been awhile since i've been drum shopping...been out of the loop)

Thanks,
Bob

My guess is yeah. They have the eco-x, classic and jazz lines which are all high quality made in USA. I think the collector's series is still the best and the most popular by far.

The line that most qualifies for the term regular would be the Collector's line, in that it has been around the longest and is the most common. They have, in recent years, added other lines known as DW Jazz Series and the DW Classics. All three have very identifiable badges, with the collector's using their usual circular badge with the name Collectors on it. Another new line is the Eco-X, which are made from bamboo.

The thing to beware of are stores that might market PDP drums as "DW" drums. And, of course, they are from DW but they also aren't Collectors level instruments. PDPs are easily identifiable by their lugs and badges.

The DW kits you see at Guitar Center ARE the Collector's series. The Jazz Series and Classics are available through special order only. Well, that's what the Guitar Center employees told me, anyways, but they've been known to be "less than totally honest" from time to time...

If its a 5 piece for less than a few thousand dollars brand new, then it's probably a PDP. I think pdp stuff is good, better than ddrum or gretsch catalina but thats my opinion. That said, there's "world's of difference" between pdp and DW.
If I was to get another kit it would be American made. Probably DW or Ludwig if I can't get one from a custom builder like Epiarch.

Thanks for your help guys. This is a really helpful forum.

Here's the deal...I have an offer to buy a lightly-used 5 piece DW Maple Collectors Series kit...toms - 8x10, 10x12, 11x14, 13x16 - bass drum -18x22White Marine Pearl. The drums are in excellent condition, hardly a scratch or blemish. Manufactured in 1999. The guy is asking $1,800. Good deal, or ripoff?

Last edited:

I have an offer to buy a used 5 piece DW Maple Collectors Series kit...toms - 8x10, 10x12, 11x14, 13x16 - bass drum -18x22. White Marine Pearl. The drums are in excellent condition, hardly a scratch or blemish. Manufactured in 1999. The guy is asking $1,800. Good deal, or ripoff?

Those won't be the same shells DW makes today, which explains the price. Anything prior to 2001 made by DW were Keller shells.

I've had both and they both sound great, you'd be hard-pressed to find a difference between them, beyond resale value.

Question: is DW "Collectors Series" better than the 'regular' DW drums sold in Sam Ash/Guitar Center? Is there anything special or particular about them?

(Sorry, its been awhile since i've been drum shopping...been out of the loop)

Thanks,
Bob

Most DW kits are "collectors series."

DW only added the name "collectors" to distinguish them from the classic, jazz and PDP lines. At one time, DW only had one line, and as they've added additional lines, they needed a way to specifically mean the original line.

http://www.dwdrums.com/drums/collectors/index.html

I have an offer to buy a used 5 piece DW Maple Collectors Series kit...toms - 8x10, 10x12, 11x14, 13x16 - bass drum -18x22. White Marine Pearl. The drums are in excellent condition, hardly a scratch or blemish. Manufactured in 1999. The guy is asking $1,800. Good deal, or ripoff?

Decent deal. I'd try to talk him down a little, but it's not a rip off.

There is a similar thread on pricing a used DW kit here:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48161

Thanks guys...maybe I'll see if the seller will knock $100 off. (He's also throwing in the stand for the floor toms, so maybe I shouldn't push too hard...)

Yeah Zam I was going to say the same and the dude should be throwing in the floor tom stand...actually you are looking at a great deal either way but $1500 is where I would start you can always go up (do not be afraid to offend) but you can never go down...best of luck and if you do get them POST PICS ;-)

JIM

OH and WELCOME to the Forum!!!!

Thanks Jim. The only thing holding me back is the number of drums. I play a small kit...one rack tom, one floor tom. This kit has 2 rack toms, and 2 floor toms. I'm paying for 2 drums I will probably never use.

But I love the color, the sizes, and the Keller shells :)

Seems like most of the used kits out there are 5 pieces. What do you think are my chances of getting a used DW maple 3 piece kit (Bass, Rack tom, floor tom?) Any advice would be appreciated.

Those won't be the same shells DW makes today, which explains the price. Anything prior to 2001 made by DW were Keller shells.

I've had both and they both sound great, you'd be hard-pressed to find a difference between them, beyond resale value.

Didn't DW start making their own shells in 1997 or 8?

Thanks Jim. The only thing holding me back is the number of drums. I play a small kit...one rack tom, one floor tom. This kit has 2 rack toms, and 2 floor toms. I'm paying for 2 drums I will probably never use.

But I love the color, the sizes, and the Keller shells :)

Seems like most of the used kits out there are 5 pieces. What do you think are my chances of getting a used DW maple 3 piece kit (Bass, Rack tom, floor tom?) Any advice would be appreciated.

Check eBay man, seriously! You're bound to find exactly what you're after for a price you can't beat anywhere else.

All of the kits that come out of Oxnard are custom kits. If they are sitting the CG then someone had to spec out the kit and order it. Unless it is PDP it is custom.

All of the kits that come out of Oxnard are custom kits.

And to be more specific, they come out of 3450 Lunar Ct. The arrows show the directions that the custom drums take out of the loading bay onto the street for delivery.

Attachments

• dw.jpg
    dw.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 4,143

Check eBay and craigslist! In the Portland area, there are a few DW 3-piece kits for sale in the $1100 range.

The nice thing about having more pieces is that you have more options. I took a vintage 18" shell, and re-wrapped it to match my DW kit (10/12/14/16/22). Now, I can gig out with a "bop kit" (10/14/18), a rock kit (12/16/22), or a 6-piece (10/12/14/16/22 plus snare). I usually just use my DWs for studio work and more prestigious gigs, though.

If you're not looking for variety, though, then a simple 3-piece is easier (and cheaper) to maintain and cart around.

Back