DW Collector Series concrete snare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmdr. Ross

Platinum Member
As a drummer, I love drums with weird shells. I also have a saying about snare drums I learned on this forum: "They need to be about combat, not conformity". Want something soft for your Yacht Rock listening? That's called a tom-tom.
Most "boutique" snare drums are made from exotic woods: 1,600 year old Romanian oak, titanium, or repurposed cymbals that have been melted down into a shell.

This one, made from the stuff you used last weekend to set that mailbox post in the ground is what I envision when I think of a combat snare. Heavy, loud & takes no prisoners.

It's 6.5"x14" & claims its "dry & focused sound is perfect for studio recording."

No it's not. Your local sound engineer would punch you in the face for bringing this thing into their studio. The last thing they need are the cops showing up because some neighbor heard gunshots coming from within.

They also say it's "Explosive volume and projection make it great for live performance."
I'm with this as the front of house guy won't need to mic it. Just let it go & count how many people run for the exit as you hit successive rimshots during your set.

Con: It's $867.00!

Anyone here have a drum that's made from some weird material that they love?

Attachments

• DW Concrete.jpg
    DW Concrete.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 16
Stick your head too far out above the trench and you'll get shot down.
I think it's nice that DW is innovating and trying obscure stuff. There are always people who are willing to buy that stuff. Just like the special edition snares of Neil Peart, Nick Mason, Tery Bozzio etc. which costs a small fortune.

Back to topic; nice review! Ever since they released it i was curious on how it sounded and played.

Last edited:
OK I get it, but a concrete snare? Notes imprinted on the inside of toms? Drums made out of timber in Lake Superior? I mean come on. The gimmicks are just becoming too cheesy.
What's the gimmick? The man tries different things. He has a passion for what he does. Where would we be if inventors, hobbyists, shade tree mechanics etc. hadn't tried something out side of the box.
I'm going to try to fly like a bird, I'm going to try to breath underwater, I'm going to put a computer in every home, I'm going to... the list goes on.
John Good believes in what he is doing. You can tell by his enthusiasm. You can tell by the way he treats his employees.
He traveled to a forest that was the source of wood for Stradivarius violins. He took a flight then he sat in a car for six and a half hours to get there. That's a lot of time, effort and money for a gimmick.
Now, will that wood he sources make the best sounding drums in the world. Highly doubtful. Will they make a cool set of drums that have a story behind it to a certain buyer. Absolutely.
I don't see why everyone gets in a twist over a company that tries to improve a product. If they are too expensive, don't buy them. if you don't like round lugs, don't buy them. But don't say its a gimmick, because they make a nice set of drums and hardware and are just as good as any other drum company out there.
I have to wonder if Gretsch, Ludwig, Sonor, Pearl, or any other company was doing what DW is doing, if everyone would bash them too. I highly doubt it. I think it would be praised as a big deal every move they made.
I've said it before and I'll say it again... some people have DW Derangement Syndrome.
Flame On Gentlemen!

What's the gimmick? The man tries different things. He has a passion for what he does. Where would we be if inventors, hobbyists, shade tree mechanics etc. hadn't tried something out side of the box.
I'm going to try to fly like a bird, I'm going to try to breath underwater, I'm going to put a computer in every home, I'm going to... the list goes on.
John Good believes in what he is doing. You can tell by his enthusiasm. You can tell by the way he treats his employees.
He traveled to a forest that was the source of wood for Stradivarius violins. He took a flight then he sat in a car for six and a half hours to get there. That's a lot of time, effort and money for a gimmick.
Now, will that wood he sources make the best sounding drums in the world. Highly doubtful. Will they make a cool set of drums that have a story behind it to a certain buyer. Absolutely.
I don't see why everyone gets in a twist over a company that tries to improve a product. If they are too expensive, don't buy them. if you don't like round lugs, don't buy them. But don't say its a gimmick, because they make a nice set of drums and hardware and are just as good as any other drum company out there.
I have to wonder if Gretsch, Ludwig, Sonor, Pearl, or any other company was doing what DW is doing, if everyone would bash them too. I highly doubt it. I think it would be praised as a big deal every move they made.
I've said it before and I'll say it again... some people have DW Derangement Syndrome.
Flame On Gentlemen!

I wonder how much flak Tama got back in the day with those ridiculous* things like octobans or gong drums... ;)

* obvious sarcasm disclaimer

Concrete production is a huge contributor to climate change-so you'd think he'd be more environment friendly. Just kidding-it's a true statement but I doubt he uses enough cement for all snares produced to lay a decent porch. I think he needs to invent the doodle drum that you get to create the final finish. It will be the resin and accelerator separate but the resin filled with iron fillings or beads that you can move around with a magnet-then you push and break accelerator pod to catalysis and fix your art work in place. John needs to call me to join his DW team LOL. I'll sale him on my Chicken drum pedal ROFL.

Reminds me of my childhood, when I dreamed about making some cymbals from every metal in the periodic table. Of course it won't work, since the vast, vast majority of actually listenable cymbals that exists today are made of just copper and tin (bronze).
But it sounds a bit promising on a snare drum, as Dunnett is already experimenting with titanium and magnesium. :ROFLMAO:

It's not really concrete. It's mostly resin with some powdered concrete mixed in to give it that look. The guys that have them seem to like em.
I read that & decided upon doing the opinion post, that getting into the actual ingredients was too much. Its' *sorta* concrete & sure has a nice look.
I for one would be concerned about what would happen if you dropped this. I'm sure if it were all Quick Crete-type material, one slip & you'd have chunks inside the drum & a nice crack from lug to lug.

I'm sure DW took all this into account & came up with a material that gave the sound quality concrete would produce, with the durability of the synthetics.
Smart if you as me, & justifies the $800+ price tag.

Fact of the matter is, boutique drums are an investment. They're drums you know you're not going to sell anytime soon & if one of your kids takes up the instrument, they'll get it.
I'd go as far to say some people who buy these limited pieces make then "Studio Queens" that never get played. They sit on a lighted shelf to be admired in all their warranted glory.

In this era of infinite choices you're going to get some products like this that, for the most part, are a vehicle to bring attention to the brand. Are they good, bad or in between? Only people willing to pony up the cash for them can truly decide. It's not my cuppa but somebody is buying them. My opinion, brand argument aside, is that there are other snares that offer both better sound and value in that price range. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back