DW Collector Series concrete snare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamaha Rider

What's the gimmick? The man tries different things. He has a passion for what he does. Where would we be if inventors, hobbyists, shade tree mechanics etc. hadn't tried something out side of the box.
I'm going to try to fly like a bird, I'm going to try to breath underwater, I'm going to put a computer in every home, I'm going to... the list goes on.
John Good believes in what he is doing. You can tell by his enthusiasm. You can tell by the way he treats his employees.
He traveled to a forest that was the source of wood for Stradivarius violins. He took a flight then he sat in a car for six and a half hours to get there. That's a lot of time, effort and money for a gimmick.
Now, will that wood he sources make the best sounding drums in the world. Highly doubtful. Will they make a cool set of drums that have a story behind it to a certain buyer. Absolutely.
I don't see why everyone gets in a twist over a company that tries to improve a product. If they are too expensive, don't buy them. if you don't like round lugs, don't buy them. But don't say its a gimmick, because they make a nice set of drums and hardware and are just as good as any other drum company out there.
I have to wonder if Gretsch, Ludwig, Sonor, Pearl, or any other company was doing what DW is doing, if everyone would bash them too. I highly doubt it. I think it would be praised as a big deal every move they made.
I've said it before and I'll say it again... some people have DW Derangement Syndrome.
Flame On Gentlemen!
"The gimmick" is the outrageous pricetag - for a plastic drum with 10 cents worth of sand and cement mixed in. Highly innovative.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I don't find any redeeming qualities with the concrete snare tone, no matter who makes one. To my ear it has no complexity or even a pleasing tone. Kinda dead. Which is what I would expect from a shell made mostly out of minerals.

madjack956

"The gimmick" is the outrageous pricetag - for a plastic drum with 10 cents worth of sand and cement mixed in. Highly innovative.
That's not a gimmick, that's capitalism in all its glory. You're free to choose not to buy it.
The last time I checked, a 40' sailboat (fiberglass) cost around $400,000.00.
A private jet made of aluminum, (same material as beercans) cost millions.
Some hotel rooms cost $4k a night and up. (Talk about low return on investment)
Designer clothes, same cloth as regular clothes, costs thousands.
Expensive cars, purses, shoes, watches and jewelry, all gimmicks?
How about art? Talk about outrageous pricetags.

Personally, I wouldn't buy any of the above products, including DW's cement snare, for one of two reasons.
Either I didn't care for the product being sold, or I couldn't afford it.
But, I wouldn't call them gimmicks because of those reasons.

To me, the more products there are, the better. New ideas and competition makes for a winning combination for us consumers.
We should be supportive of new ideas and the world of drumming as a whole.
I've seen products from other companies that are just hideous in my opinion. But I keep it to myself. Why offend somebody, especially somebody that shares the same interest as me. What is there to gain by it.

Its just not productive.

Noisy

Pretty sad when even the mods have to make snide remarks. Kinda sets a negative tone. Lead by example?
Actually, the mod’s question is somewhat reasonable, if you were previously involved in construction or cement work. If you were at an all day outdoor concert in the sun, a solid concrete snare could get thermal stress since it easily absorbs heat. Concrete expands and contracts so expansion pieces exist to compensate. Concrete forms a crystalline structure. It is strong but can also be brittle.

Having thermal expansion joints would allow any expansion that does happen from cracking the shell. An expanding and contracting ring-shaped cement drum shell could be subject to stress. Although it may not be necessary for this drum, it is actually a reasonable question.

Noisy

That dog won't hunt, I explained the construction of the drum in post # 7.
So I checked an article.
There is absolutely no concrete in the DW concrete snare. ZERO. Boy, is that misleading or what.

Technically the shells are actually made of soapstone, a more refined alternative to concrete, which has been used for centuries as a carving material. The soapstone is mixed with a proprietary polymer and then cast into individual shells.

Scottie15

Of course! Featuring some broke ass, narrow minded, wannabe drummers. LOL

Is that you, Mr. Good? Didn't mean to hurt anyone's DW feelings.

Cash has nothing to do with why I think this concrete snare idea is idiotic. Just dropped big money in Star Walnut kit and a bell bronze snare.

Don't get me wrong, I love DW. But their gimmicks are just a bit much.

Anyways, didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Enjoy your concrete snare.

Iristone

It's people that can't make a reasonable argument that use terms like racism. In fact it is used so often it has lost it's meaning. Yawn....
I am Chinese, mind you..
There's a DW Concrete sitting at my local dealer right now. The only reason I didn't buy it is that I'm very happy with my wood and aluminium snares. I'm not against any shell formula or DW myself.. I just have my own preference, and it doesn't make me a broke ass.

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member

Is that you, Mr. Good? Didn't mean to hurt anyone's DW feelings.

Cash has nothing to do with why I think this concrete snare idea is idiotic. Just dropped big money in Star Walnut kit and a bell bronze snare.

Don't get me wrong, I love DW. But their gimmicks are just a bit much.

Anyways, didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Enjoy your concrete snare.

Every one thinks I'm butt hurt. LMAO. I don't have a concrete drum and might think it's as silly as you do. Just don't go on a public forum going on and on about it. You are the one who said that DW buyers went into debt to get their kits, LOL I don't even have a credit card.

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
I am Chinese, mind you..
There's a DW Concrete sitting at my local dealer right now. The only reason I didn't buy it is that I'm very happy with my wood and aluminium snares. I'm not against any shell formula or DW myself.. I just have my own preference, and it doesn't make me a broke ass.
Never said a word about everyday Chinese people. I was employed by Koreans for 15 years.

madjack956

So I checked an article.
There is absolutely no concrete in the DW concrete snare. ZERO. Boy, is that misleading or what.

Technically the shells are actually made of soapstone, a more refined alternative to concrete, which has been used for centuries as a carving material. The soapstone is mixed with a proprietary polymer and then cast into individual shells.
If this is indeed accurate, DW should have advertised it as such. Soapstone is pretty nice stuff and used to be used in fireplaces, wood stoves and countertops back in the day.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
If this is indeed accurate, DW should have advertised it as such. Soapstone is pretty nice stuff and used to be used in fireplaces, wood stoves and countertops back in the day.
I'm guessing concrete is more attention grabbing than soapstone & resin.

Status
Not open for further replies.