DW Cherry vs Maple.

octatonic

Hi Folks,

I am looking at buying a new 2 up, 2 down DW kit and having trouble finding stock in the UK.
There are a few in the UK in the more expensive finishes but I'd prefer a cheaper finish (thinking sparkly finishply) to keep the cost down.

I found one in the sizes I want (22/16/14/12/10) but the wood is cherry, not maple.
A brief googling reveals that cherry is 'warmer' than maple.
Is that the main difference?

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I think you'll have to try. There are a lot of people preferring those cherry kits these days, though.

octatonic

I will definitely do that- but just looking for some input before I go in and try it out- pressure of playing in a shop, salesman trying to close you, different heads to what I use etc.
If I have an idea of what I should be listening for then it might help my decision making.

mikyok

Platinum Member
There's vids on YouTube with both woods but they're miced up and probably mixed a bit so it's difficult to call and they are not going to make an expensive kit sound bad. If we're talking DW money then you really don't want to be disappointed so I'd probably go to the store too.

Plus they do the different plies which probably effects the sound VLT, HLT, Twisted etc

Understand your pain when it comes to salesman pressure in store, you can't tell they're all on commission ..much!

Just to bowl you a wrongun, there's a lot of custom drum builders here who will build you something a lot nicer than DW and you'll be able to talk to them in person about woods and what each kind offers.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
A brief googling reveals that cherry is 'warmer' than maple.
Is that the main difference?
Cherry can be brighter overall compared to maple - depends on the construction & design of the drum. All other elements being equal, I'd say cherry typically has a bump in the upper mid frequencies compared to maple typically having a bump in the mid frequencies. In most constructions, they're fairly similar. If anything, I'd put the cherry as being the slightly more characterful in the higher overtones of the two, but requires a construction that's a bit more open than the DWs to really start to hear it.

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
As someone who has a Collectors kit in Broken Glass finish ply, I can say it is a very pretty finish. Totally dazzles under the lights. Probably the nicest looking wrap I have seen on a kit. But... The wrap sucks the life out of the shell's natural resonance. This may not be a big deal because DW puts a rather sharp 45 degree edge with the slightest hint of a back cut on their drums, so shell resonance is not high on their priority list. That being said, if you want the shell to resonate easier and play part of a role in the drum's sound, I would recommend against a finish ply set.

If you want a Cherry kit, do not put a finish ply on the kit. Have them shoot clear lacquer over it. It looks gorgeous:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1304052&postcount=8

octatonic

Cherry can be brighter overall compared to maple - depends on the construction & design of the drum. All other elements being equal, I'd say cherry typically has a bump in the upper mid frequencies compared to maple typically having a bump in the mid frequencies. In most constructions, they're fairly similar. If anything, I'd put the cherry as being the slightly more characterful in the higher overtones of the two, but requires a construction that's a bit more open than the DWs to really start to hear it.

Thanks for the input (and everyone else as well).
If the same construction method does cherry usually have a lower or higher resonant frequency than maple?
Is sustain longer or shorter?
Is note attack any different?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the input (and everyone else as well).
If the same construction method does cherry usually have a lower or higher resonant frequency than maple?
Is sustain longer or shorter?
Is note attack any different?

1/ Slightly higher, but that can vary according to source much more than any generic species difference, & varies much more depending on construction. In other words, almost not worth thinking about.

2/ If you mean head sustain, that's a product of tuning, head selection, & bearing edge forms, with some impact from isolation / grounding. If you mean length of fundamental note - in a DW construction - almost no difference at all between the two.

3/ The slightly brighter upper midrange will feature more than maple, but "attack" is more a product of other elements rather than wood species.

zenghost

The above is likely the most authoritative and accurate statement you will find on this.

I've owned both Cherry and Maple DW kits, though they were Jazz Series kits with a gum-hybrid shell. Both sounded great, but I'd be hard pressed to pick out significant and distinct sonic differences that I could attribute specifically to the maple and cherry woods in those cases.

As far as finish, I've owned DW and other kits in both lacquer and wraps and have found no reason to fear the wraps as far as sound. However, buy what appeals to your ear and eye and other needs. A wrapped kit is can provide much welcome peace of mind in some environments, and they have some killer wraps available.

octatonic

Thanks everyone- I'll bear this in mind when I check them out on Friday.

I am looking at a Finish Ply kit because they are a bit cheaper than the exotic finishes and I gig so don't want to worry as much as I would with a burst or a fade.

Does anyone have any experience with ordering additional drums for DW?
I want at least a 2 up 2 down kit and I've found one that is 2 up 1 down that is the right price, but I'd need to wait 16 weeks for the additional tom to arrive.

Last edited:

jbonzo1

Silver Member
Did someone say DW Cherry and Maple?
Andy is the sound expert here, I can't add anything to his comments.
How about a few photos?

Here's my Collector's Pure Cherry in Natural Lacquer, 8x12/9x13/14x15/15x16/15x22 and Collector's Maple, with rings, in Amber to Tobacco Burst over Tamo Ash, 9x12/13x15/18x22

Attachments

• dw cherry up.jpg
    dw cherry up.jpg
    628.5 KB · Views: 809
  • DW Collectors Cherry BD.jpg
    DW Collectors Cherry BD.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 796
  • DW Collectors Cherry1 copy.jpg
    DW Collectors Cherry1 copy.jpg
    657.6 KB · Views: 857
  • DW tamo up copy.jpg
    DW tamo up copy.jpg
    889.1 KB · Views: 812
M

Matt Bo Eder

Thanks everyone- I'll bear this in mind when I check them out on Friday.

I am looking at a Finish Ply kit because they are a bit cheaper than the exotic finishes and I gig so don't want to worry as much as I would with a burst or a fade.

Does anyone have any experience with ordering additional drums for DW?
I want at least a 2 up 2 down kit and I've found one that is 2 up 1 down that is the right price, but I'd need to wait 16 weeks for the additional tom to arrive.

I have a Collector's kit and have experience ordering from DW. I ordered a 16x16 floor tom in black oyster pearl Finishply, and in FOUR days I was called to come and pick up my drum! Later I ordered a 9x13 to go with the kit, and this was more reasonable. It took them four weeks. However, I live in California. You being in the UK, that could mean a long wait time for shipping. But DW states that they can take up to 6-8 weeks to make a drum.

Groov-E

Silver Member
How about a few photos?

Here's my Collector's Pure Cherry in Natural Lacquer, 8x12/9x13/14x15/15x16/15x22 and Collector's Maple, with rings, in Amber to Tobacco Burst over Tamo Ash, 9x12/13x15/18x22

Wow! Those are two gorgeous kits. The choice and quality of finishes DW offers is nothing short of spectacular. I'm in a congratulary mood this morning.

Have a great day drummers!

octatonic

How about a few photos?

Both very nice- particularly the maple.

Those finishes are £2000 more than the FinishPly kit here in the UK.
£2500 vs £4500- almost double.
I don't think I can justify that at this stage- still, they look amazing.

octatonic

I have a Collector's kit and have experience ordering from DW. I ordered a 16x16 floor tom in black oyster pearl Finishply, and in FOUR days I was called to come and pick up my drum! Later I ordered a 9x13 to go with the kit, and this was more reasonable. It took them four weeks. However, I live in California. You being in the UK, that could mean a long wait time for shipping. But DW states that they can take up to 6-8 weeks to make a drum.

Not here- the problem is the UK/EU distributor has changed and I believe the request has to go from the shop to the distributor, then to DW.
Every step of the way there are delays- I'm looking at a bare minimum of 14 weeks.

Stock is limited too- there are only half a dozen kits in the UK in the configurations I want and most of them are in the more expensive finishes and out of budget.
I'm already considering stretching the budget by around a grand to get the cherry kit, otherwise I'm looking at a custom order which will take 14 weeks, cost about £4k and they need 50% up front.

I wish I still lived in the US. :)
(At least I'm not still in Australia- they are even more expensive there)

Last edited:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
otherwise I'm looking at a custom order which will take 14 weeks, cost about £4k and they need 50% up front.

I wish I still lived in the US. :)
(At least I'm not still in Australia- they are even more expensive there)
I'm in the U.S. right now (not that it's going to help you any)?

Seriously, if you get into £4k territory, probably get close to a solid segmented walnut or padauk for that - certainly a zebrano stave.

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
Both very nice- particularly the maple.

Those finishes are £2000 more than the FinishPly kit here in the UK.
£2500 vs £4500- almost double.
I don't think I can justify that at this stage- still, they look amazing.

I can't believe DW would charge almost double the price for clear lacquer vs. a finish ply. Maybe a few hundred more because they have to wet sand and buff the lacquer, but not $3200 US dollars more. That would be robbery, IMO. It just doesn't cost that much more to do a lacquer vs a wrap. They still ship the drums exactly the same way if its lacquer or finish ply, so I would say its your drum shop ripping you off.