DW buys Slingerland!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I'm surprised to hear you say this Andy. What if DW bought Guru, did their own shells, then put the Guru name on it? Surely they would be different, even if esthetically the same. If not, why spend so much time on just the shell?
Of course, segmented shells are a different proposition - no mould required. So long as they followed the same process, with the same materials, & the same attention to detail, they'd have a Guru - it's a recipe, a material quality selection, & a process.

Same applies to replicating Slingerland shells. So long as the process is the same, or equates to the same result, the origin of the moulds is irrelevant outside of legacy marketing equity. The process and the materials are way more influential than the moulds themselves.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Of course, segmented shells are a different proposition - no mould required. So long as they followed the same process, with the same materials, & the same attention to detail, they'd have a Guru - it's a recipe, a material quality selection, & a process.

Same applies to replicating Slingerland shells. So long as the process is the same, or equates to the same result, the origin of the moulds is irrelevant outside of legacy marketing equity. The process and the materials are way more influential than the moulds themselves.
Okay, gotcha. I guess using the word recipe makes it make more sense. I guess some recipes would just be harder to replicate. Sort of chili vs beef Wellington 🙂

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
My information tells me that DW bought the distribution rights to Gretsch and has little if anything in the production process.

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
Meh. Those drums sound pretty average to me. Too dry for my taste, DW solids sound significantly better. It is all a matter of tasteI guess. I suspect the Radio Kings will be released before the drum sets. 8 lug with the extended wires would be a cool drum and true to the original.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Meh. Those drums sound pretty average to me. Too dry for my taste, DW solids sound significantly better.
It’s about the original Slingerland sound, not a new “modern” sound. If this kit doesn’t have it, after using the same woods, same design, same glue, and same manufacturing molds, then it ain’t gonna happen.

mkelley

It’s about the original Slingerland sound, not a new “modern” sound. If this kit doesn’t have it, after using the same woods, same design, same glue, and same manufacturing molds, then it ain’t gonna happen.
The originals used hide glue, which isn't used as much. Because it's an organic substance, it bonds differently than the glue used today. Nothing made since the 70's if not a tad earlier will have "that" sound.

cbphoto

Gold Member
The originals used hide glue, which isn't used as much. Because it's an organic substance, it bonds differently than the glue used today. Nothing made since the 70's if not a tad earlier will have "that" sound.
so then, what defines “Slingerland” if not the sound?

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
So, most drummers won't buy one, because not too many drummers know who Slingerland is.

Of the die-hard Slingerland Fans:
Half are on board as long as it's a good drum with the name
Half are already convinced it won't sound right even though not a drum has been produced yet. Lol

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
I havent got one and i could not care less..

Maybe someone can start a poll..?

I would have started one myself, but like i said, could not care less..😄

The only reason i write this reply is because non-gear-obsessed people like myself need to be heard too..!😄

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
I can only imagine what sort of alphabet soup terminology any new shell design will receive.

Should be some interesting marketing!

Last edited:

dwsabianguy

Does anyone use hide glue to make drum shells anymore? Craviotto, N&C maybe? I've got an acoustic guitar made with hide glue, and I know some string-instrument luthiers use it, and top-of-the-heap Gibsons, but I can't think of any drums off the top of my head.

justadrummer

As soon as they announce that they are taking orders, I will place an order for a new Radio King with a silver glass wrap. I own several Radio Kings of various eras, a DW solid shell, a DW/Craviotto, a Super Solid which I ordered the moment they announced them about ten years ago, and one of the new Super Sonic snares. I am clearly their target audience, and I'm happy with that. I trust that they will get this right.