dw Bass Drum Riser

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I recently installed a dw bass drum lifter on my Mapex Saturn Jazz kit with 18" bass drum.
I also modified the hoop for proper pedal position.
I am very pleased.

Attachments

• 0302031056.jpg
    0302031056.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 7,527
  • 0302031056a.jpg
    0302031056a.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 3,417
  • 0302031057.jpg
    0302031057.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 5,517
  • 0302031058.jpg
    0302031058.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 2,607
  • 0302031120.jpg
    0302031120.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 4,467
Last edited:
These pictures are great! I am going to do a 16" kick conversion an this looks like the trick.

Thanks for the post!

If you want the best crafted lifter in the industry then this is the way to go canada_rokzz.
You can control every adjustment possible with this lifter.

Shortening the beater shaft throws my timing off. I play other kits with larger bass drums so I want the same pedal feel on all of my kits.
That is why I like to raise my 18" and 16" bass drums.
I get consistency between kits from this.

Nobody I called in Winnipeg stocked the DW part. I went with the Pearl adapter kit, and a Tom mount off a junky jam space kit I have. If I like the 16" kick, I may get my hands on a better shell (this one is cheap mahogany and 5 lugs) and use the DW in the future.

Shortening the beater shaft throws my timing off. I play other kits with larger bass drums so I want the same pedal feel on all of my kits.
That is why I like to raise my 18" and 16" bass drums.
I get consistency between kits from this.

They have these little weights for the shafts to replicate a longer throw - less equipmentage than a riser. Actually, a shorter shaft is more responsive and sensitive. If it throws your timing off, maybe that's a sign that you can let up a bit; it should be easier to go from a long shaft to a shorter one, than vice-versa. Playing with a longer shaft is the equivalent of playing with wrist weights in the sense that it builds strength and resistance. At a certain point, you can play without the added resistance and you may find a bonanza of responsiveness. The trade-off is less volume but no one asks drummers to play louder anyway, and often the contrary.

I tried the counterweight also and it didn't work for me.
I understand why it should work but I just couldn't feel it.

I tried just about everything before I settled on using a lift.

Most drummers that I see with an 18 inch bass do use a lifter.

One other thing that I like about using a riser is that it brings the bass drum up to a suitable level for a hoop mounted cow bell/jam block, etc.

Wow, that is a small, discreet riser. Usually they are huge.

Why just not shorten the beater shaft, though? Quick and easy and it scales the hardware to the drum. Big drum, long shaft. Small drum, short shaft. Kind of like with sticks.

they are all small like that now

mine is even smaller

and often when you shorten the beater throw to meet the center of an 18 the butt end scrapes the head

Thanks gpxsrxracer, I have been using this lifter for over a month now and I still swear by it.
I also swear by my Camco pedal.
My jazz playing has never been better.
I can feather my bass drum like a wren landing on a telephone wire :)
I don't understand why but it is working for me.
It is the combination I guess.

Last edited:
Thanks gpxsrxracer, I have been using this lifter for over a month now and I still by it.
I also swear by my Camco pedal.
My jazz playing has never been better.
I can feather my bass drum like a wren landing on a telephone wire :)
I don't understand why but it is working for me.
It is the combination I guess.

Now you know why Tama bought out Camco or the rights to Camco's pedal design. That has ALOT to do with all of Tama's pedals. I swear by that pedal, it just works! Feels great, smooth and never lets me down. I mostly use my 5002 Turbo DW double setup, but when I use a single, its the Camco. If I had to sell a pedal, as stupid as it may sound, the DW would go first!

I played a Speed King for 30 years and it was real good, But the Camco takes the SK's lunch money.
It is just there.
I tried Jojo's new Sonor pedal and it couldn't even come close to the Camco.

Funny, I was just commenting in another thread about what a POS the Gibraltar riser is, and how nice the DW riser is. It makes everything adjustable, just as Bob says.

It ain't cheap - but the Gibraltar riser with a 100% failure rate is $50...and I say that's really expensive for something that doesn't work.

The Sonor Jungle/Safari riser is nice too, simple and works well although not as solid as the DW.
The Yamaha riser installed on MCA's, BCA's and Oak Custom 18"'s is very very similar to the DW and works just as well.

Nice upgrade Bob!

http://store.dwdrums.com/c/dw_hardware
The Sonor Jungle/Safari riser is nice too, simple and works well although not as solid as the DW.
Yes the Sonor Safari/Bop kit lifter does work well. I added a memory lock to the lifter on my Safari kit and it made it more stable.

I made a small improvement to the dw lifter too.
I added two rubber washers to the tube to fill the valley that is caused by the slide bracket.
This keeps the part that the pedal clamps to from touching the edge of the sliding bracket when it is installed on the tube.

Oh, by the way for those who don't already know. dw sells all of their hardware direct from their own site. http://store.dwdrums.com/c/dw_hardware

they are all small like that now

mine is even smaller

and often when you shorten the beater throw to meet the center of an 18 the butt end scrapes the head

I've had to take a hacksaw to some beater shafts to keep the ends from scraping the head. Fortunately, beaters aren't expensive and I've collected a few over the years. That solves that problem and I don't need to use a riser.

I recently installed a dw bass drum lifter on my Mapex Saturn Jazz kit with 18" bass drum.
I also modified the hoop for proper pedal position.
I am very pleased.

Looks solid..............I think I'd have been nervous cutting the hoop.

I've had to take a hacksaw to some beater shafts to keep the ends from scraping the head. Fortunately, beaters aren't expensive and I've collected a few over the years. That solves that problem and I don't need to use a riser.

I've hacksawed a few myself

Looks solid..............I think I'd have been nervous cutting the hoop.
I used a finished carpentry coping saw along with a razor utility knife.
I then filed the edge smooth with a file of course. :)
It is slow going cutting through plies of maple but it isn't hard.
If you look closely at the pic you will see that a splinter did happen on the left side of the cut when I was filling. OOPS!

One thing that you can also do to make your DW lift even better is get a DW memory lock (I believe it's DWSP2020) to lock in the height of your bass drum. Not sure why it isn't included in the lifter already, but it was a nice addition.

Back