dw 9000 worship

ANIMALBEATS

Silver Member
does anyone outthere love there dw9000. ive got a single bass pedal and it rocks the socks of my iron cobra, even a non drumming mate noticed it.

Anyone else love this range of products...?

I have a love/hate thing going on with my 9000 series hardware. The pedals are great. Smooth, responsive, solid and reliable. I mostly set up my double pedal as a single and I like my big Danmar felt on it. I also have a 7000 single pedal that I like very much. Nice and springy. I got it a few years ago new on sale for $100. Good pedal.

The high hat stand and all the other boom cymbal stands are top notch.

It's all just so heavy. Four stands, the high hat and other miscellaneous stuff that goes into my roller bag makes it weigh a ton. A total bummer to haul in and out.

My medium weight hardware is a third of the weight and is solid enough for the casual gigging that I do.

9000 & 5000 singles are awesome. The double pedal versions are not so good though, the drive shafts have so much lag. The slave pedal is almost unplayable on some.

I've been on all 9000 hardware for a few years now with no complaints. Once it gets dialed in, the stuff feels completely transparent to me. I just play and don't notice it - exactly how it should feel.

Whether the difference between 9000 and other DW series is worth the extra scratch is probably something that gets decided by your income level and pickiness. From bottom to top I think that difference is pretty small, but was still worth it for me.

9000 & 5000 singles are awesome. The double pedal versions are not so good though, the drive shafts have so much lag. The slave pedal is almost unplayable on some.

I've been using a 9000 double for the past 4 or 5 years, and I have to say I don't see this problem at all. I am not really a serious double bass player, since I rarely have the opportunity to play much music that requires it. However, I have a good right foot, and I've occasionally tested the slave pedal by playing it with my right foot, and I can do just about anything on the left pedal that I can with the primary pedal. Of course it isn't exactly like the primary side - how could it be on any pedal, since the slave side will always have to move the linkage. I think it's plenty close enough, though.

I have had a problem before, when there was some difficulty with the slave side, accompanied by some squeaking. That was just a normal issue with the lubrication, though. Just add some machine oil to the joints on the linkage, and the pedal will be like new again.

Sure, all double pedals are going to have mechanical lag to some extent. I think the 9000 and 5000 have the same driveshaft, I'm not for sure though. Comparing the DW driveshaft to the Axis UDS is a noticeable difference though. I feel like I have to play harder with my left foot on DW's to keep up. Axis has the smoothest slave pedal out there. I have heard trick is good also, but I haven't had the chance to try one.

But like I said I like the 9000 single, its well made and plays smooth.

I used an Axis A double pedal for years. it was getting old would not stay adjusted. So I got the new DW5002 pedal. It was like going from a ferrari to a mack truck feel wise, I cannot aforred the 9000 pedal so i exchanged them for the new pearl pedal. WOW this pedal is amazing it gives the 9000 a run for its money.

The high hat stand and all the other boom cymbal stands are top notch.
It's all just so heavy.

True, but the 9000 boom stand is so rock-solid that I can mount two cymbals (18 and 20 inch) on it, which reduces the number of cymbal stands in my setup to just 2! The toothless cymbal tilters are awesome as well; I'm seriously addicted to them and won't use anything else. I actually retro-fitted a Tama Roadpro stand to accommodate the thicker DW boom arm by chopping the end off a Dog Bone; this gives me a lighter stand with 100% adjustability.

True, but the 9000 boom stand is so rock-solid that I can mount two cymbals (18 and 20 inch) on it, which reduces the number of cymbal stands in my setup to just 2! The toothless cymbal tilters are awesome as well; I'm seriously addicted to them and won't use anything else. I actually retro-fitted a Tama Roadpro stand to accommodate the thicker DW boom arm by chopping the end off a Dog Bone; this gives me a lighter stand with 100% adjustability.

I do like how sturdy my 9000 stuff is. I put a popcorn snare of my high hat stand and I sometimes swing a crash off of each of the stands for my left and right crashes. Always rock solid. My DW boom arms just barely fit in my PDP medium duty stands, so sometimes I'll swap them out when I know I'm going to use the medium duty stuff several gigs in a row. Toothless tilters, that's why. The other kind drive me nuts.

The thing I like most about using them live is that on many many occasions, a singer has backed into or bumped into a cymbal stand, and never knocked it over. I'd go so far as to say they're virtually skinny lead singer proof.

I just upgraded to 9000 pedals from the 5000s I had played for about a dozen years or so. I'm very happy with them. As for the hardware, my four 9799 stands have held up admirably for over ten years now (with a Bozzio sized cymbal setup hanging on them), and the only reason I'm working on getting a rack system is to reduce the overall "footprint"of the kit and racks are still more stable than the best of tripods.

I was also sold on toothless tilters. I could never go back.

You can do anything with DW hardware. Might even be able to build a car out of the stuff!

I opted for a DW 5000 Turbo TD3 Pedal instead of a 9000 series because of the type of music I play; I will not see the additional performance benefits from their top of the line pedal. I am very satisfied with my pedal as well as with my other DW hardware (previously not mentioned in this post) such as my DW 9101 Low Round Seat Throne and DW 9909 Bass Drum Riser.

Kudos to DW engineers.

GJS

Yeah, you could say I have a fondness for them... hahaha. I have a 9502 kick pedal, 9500 hi-hat, and a 9502LB hi-hat.

Nov_09_Pearl_kit_d.jpg

Back