DW 6000 failure

lefty2

Platinum Member
My light weight hi hat stand broke at rehearsal tonight. First the spring tension adjustment slipped and when I tightened it back up I thought it felt like it was ready to strip. Sure enough a while later it fell off. I'll have to take it apart tomorrow and see what I need to do to fix it.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
It’s always good to have a spare.

Although I have the Yamaha Crosstown stuff, I’m debating using heavier pedals to take the abuse, like my DW9000 stuff.

lefty2

Platinum Member
It’s always good to have a spare.

Although I have the Yamaha Crosstown stuff, I’m debating using heavier pedals to take the abuse, like my DW9000 stuff.
I've got three hi hat stands. I'm wondering about the lightweight stands taking abused also. On certain songs I'm slamming my hat's together kind of like a crash cymbal while I'm on the ride. It's kinda like a heel toe stroke or just flat foot stomping. My heavy duty stands have always been ok with that kind of playing.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I've got three hi hat stands. I'm wondering about the lightweight stands taking abused also. On certain songs I'm slamming my hat's together kind of like a crash cymbal while I'm on the ride. It's kinda like a heel toe stroke or just flat foot stomping. My heavy duty stands have always been ok with that kind of playing.
True. As with anything, put the strength where you need it. I feel most confident on a heavy throne, knowing the hi hat and bass drum pedal won’t just suddenly break on me during a gig!

lefty2

Platinum Member
Yeah my throne and my kick pedals are quite strong. I never really thought about that hi hat stand not holding up. After I fix it I should refrain from heavy playing on it if I'm going to keep using it.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Is that the regular 6000, or Ultra light hi hat stand?
Hopefully it's not a PITA fix. That's a nice, comfortable stand.

I have the DW 6000 hat stand too, but under my normal playing on a gig, it wobbles. To be fair, I'm playing fairly hard the whole time.
I don't think it would break, but the bit of movement is a distraction.
I've had the Ludwig Classic flat base stand since it came out in 2013, and haven't had any issues with it it at all.
The Ludwig stand doesn't move at all, and it's only maybe a pound heavier than the DW. It's VERY comfortable too.

lefty2

Platinum Member
Is that the regular 6000, or Ultra light hi hat stand?
Hopefully it's not a PITA fix. That's a nice, comfortable stand.
it’s a ultra light. Inside I found a cylinder shaped piece where the threads were stripped. It had another sleightly under sized hole, so I threaded it and took it to a few rehearsals to check it out. It’s for sale now. I'm taking the heavy stuff to gigs. HH stand anyway.