DW 6000 bass pedal – might it be for me (and can you adjust the footboard angle)?

LittleLegs

Back in the day my pedal choice came down to an Iron Cobra or a DW 5000. I like a heavier feeling pedal, and the Iron Cobra just pipped the DW to the post. I've been playing the same pedal for years. But now I'm after something a little lighter to help my old foot out (but I've tried pedals such as the Perfect Balance and they are way too light for me). So I was thinking that this might be a good option to look at? People who have them seem to love them. I'm not a gigging drummer so I'm not looking for something that travels well and can stand up to a heavy, repetitive stomping, but does it move a lot given there's no baseplate?

With regards the footboard angle, it looks like you can move the chain to different points in the cam, but if so, how do you actually do it? Is there a pin release system or something else?

THANKS!

Fritz Frigursson

if you want a light pedal then the jojo mayer signature pedal is probably the lightest you can get.

also don’t buy pedals without trying them, if you can’t try them then hold out for a bit until stores reopen

LittleLegs

So, I’ve found the answer to how you change the footbaord angle:

But does the pedal really bounce this much (1:48), or have they attached it to the bass drum in an unconventional way (it does look like the pedal might not be flush to the floor but it’s hard to tell)?

Ryan Culberson

I have a strap-drive 6000 as shown in the last video. Without a baseplate, the pedal does get a little jumpy, but not so much as to be unmanageable. Can't speak for the chain-driven 6000, but my strap-drive model is easily the fastest playing pedal I've ever used.

It's very comfortable, lightning quick as mentioned before, and pretty durable. I just replaced the nylon strap after 3 years of heavy gigging and being thrown loosely in the hardware bag. I've since purchased a pedal bag for it, as well as several replacement straps. It's been good to me over hundreds of gigs so I'd like to be good to it in hopes it lasts me a long time.

EDIT: Forgot to answer the footboard angle question. On the strap-drive version, the strap has several holes in it. Attaching the strap to the pedal at different holes changes the length of the strap, which then changes the angle of the footboard. Not sure how it works (or if it's possible) with the chain-drive version.

Last edited:

mikyok

Platinum Member
I have an original strap drive DW5000 which is essentially what the 6000 pedal is. I also have a DW5000 strap drive with a base plate but those are getting hard to find.

You'll get a real indestructible workhorse of a pedal with the 6000. Mine is still going strong and it's 40 this year I think and has had 17 years of me gigging and recording with. Very easy to maintain. A can on 3 in 1 oil works wonders to keep it flying.

gish

I’m in the market for a new pedal, and the 6000 turbo is on my list. After playing an iron cobra for many years I began experimenting with some cheaper radius rod pedals I had laying around, and found I really preferred them for the lighter action and how they folded flat for easy transport. The 6000 looks well made; I’d have to order one since no one has it in stock locally. Any additional info would be helpful, if anyone can provide any.

Last edited:

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
if you want a light pedal then the Jojo Mayer signature pedal is probably the lightest you can get.

also don’t buy pedals without trying them, if you can’t try them then hold out for a bit until stores reopen
This.
Most of the questions you have would be answered by you sitting down & trying it out.
I understand that many shops just don't stock pedals like they used to, so this might not be an option.
But buying blind can be worse.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
It's your choice. Me, I like the baseplate. If that's not a concern, then cool.

I can't tell much of a feel difference between a DW3000 and a DW 5000...the 3000 is a fine pedal, budget or not.