DW-5000 Retro. Thoughts? Experiences?

Peedy

Well, I do have a cheaper option. I could just put the Yamaha on my home kit and move the DW to the church kit.

But still, there is a certain appeal to starting afresh. And 220 bucks isn’t going to kill me.
Pete

Blisco

I recently replaced a 10+ year old one with a "new" one and it still feels the same. This retro thing is only an appearance package. It's the same as the standard pedal with red and black colors.

Peedy

This retro thing is only an appearance package. It's the same as the standard pedal with red and black colors.
Agreed. What I’m really after is to have the same feeling pedal at play as I do at practice. And after running down the different pedals DW offers, that’s the one that floats my boat. But as odd as this sounds, other that messing around on a few in store kits, I’ve never played on an off-shored DW pedal. I HAVE had the displeasure of using a PDP pedal MADE by DW and so that’s caused me to be paranoid.

Blisco

If you like the AC cam, this new version of the 30 year old pedal will feel like old shoes. DW doesn't mess with success. There are some new features that seem to be of benefit but the overall feel and play-ability is still there.

I've been playing this pedal for nearly 20 years and every time I decide to try other high-end pedals, I always end up coming back to it. Even the 9000 wasn't to my liking and I wasn't willing to retrain my feet to fall in love with it.

I say just get the standard red and black (used?) and try it out. DW have made tens of thousands of these so you will find a deal.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Go down the used road, they're pretty much indestructable and all have the same feel (drive dependent obviously!)

I only just replaced my original 5000 strap drive this year with a later model 5000 strap drive, the feel is exactly the same.

Failing that, use the one you practice with.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Heck, if, as you say, the $200 won't kill 'ya, just buy one. I always go for used, but that's because I'm broke!

GeeDeeEmm