DW 5000 remote hat sluggishness

Recently been going for the centered hi-hat thing. The ergonomics of it are awesome, but the pedal (borrowing it from a friend) is super hard to use.

It feels similar to when you play on a regular hi-hat that has a bent pull-rod. There's some sort of friction that I isolated to being either in the cable or the pedal.

Should I throw some graphite in the cable? Or is this a regular issue that I haven't heard of? I tried digging around a tiny bit but haven't found much.

Re: DW 5000 remote hat sluggishness.

All remote hats feel like that. The Trick one is supposed to be a little better.

Bill Bachman's Remote Speedy Hat solved the problem but it's not on the market anymore.

Yeah, aren't remote hats sluggish by definition?

Yeah, aren't remote hats sluggish by definition?

They practically have to be when you take physics into account. Most people feel the same thing to one degree or other in the slave of a double pedal setup as well. Know a few guys who use two bass drums simply because they don't like the feel of the slave pedal.

I suppose. I'm going to indulge myself and borrow another friend's and see if it's the same. At the moment, I'm unable to fully close the high hat while playing heel down.

One thing that I remember from my cycling days was that brake cables need to be replaced about every year of hard riding. I can only imagine how many times that thing has been opened and closed. I'm the third owner.

I had a similar issue with the Pearl remote hi-hat.

Also, I used to end up going for a hit on hat when it wasn't in it's usual position!

So instead I sold the remote hi-hat, got a normal hi-hat and then put an x-hat in the mid tom position and I vary the looseness of it.

Yes I have 2 hi-hats but it works much better than moving a hi-hat that you've had there all your life.

I A/B'd the two remote hi-hat setups and there was definitely something wrong. The new one makes the problematic one seem almost unusable.

I have a cycling shop that I go into a lot and the mechanic said that in brake cable type designs, the cable wears down the housing and you end up with a bunch of rubber residue that basically halts the cable from sliding through the tube.

Sounds like the solution is to pull the cable out, clean it, and then clean out the inside of the housing and it should be good as new.

I've had absolutely no issues with my DW5000 hi hat remote. Works smoothly and consistently. I don't know of any other remotes that work as well as this one actually. With the new 9000 series you're just paying for the newest version but this pedal holdes up very well.

I've had absolutely no issues with my DW5000 hi hat remote. Works smoothly and consistently. I don't know of any other remotes that work as well as this one actually. With the new 9000 series you're just paying for the newest version but this pedal holdes up very well.
ACD Unlimited remote hihat blows everything currently available out of the water. I put my DW away after getting it.

I've yet to find a full cable hat that isn't sluggish. Pearl, DW...you name it.
The only way I got around it was to shorten the cable. If you have to wind it around the snare basket or other method, it will cause the cable to hang up in the sheath. Shortening it keeps that from happening.

Recently been going for the centered hi-hat thing. The ergonomics of it are awesome, but the pedal (borrowing it from a friend) is super hard to use.
DW 9550 is shaft driven. Feels great.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 13
I have a DW 9000 remote. It has a slight lag but easy to adapt to.

I've got the 9000 series DW remote and yeah it's got sluggishnes, but I got used to it. It's inherent in the cable rather than a straight up and down rod.

Ok. Either DW 5000 isn’t nearly as good as the pearl remote hat stand or Danny Carey some how works out the delay.

He has centered hi hats and his hi hat work is off the charts. And that’s live or in the studio,

Back