dw 5000 pedal user,i need opinion.

teamsleepnine

i'm planning to buy dw 5000 single pedal...as its in my budget range...i need opinion about the pedal..what do you guys think about the pedal??i saw on the picture that its chain drive can i use nylon strap drive on it?

Here's a link to DW's web site and it looks like you'd need to buy it already setup for strap drive. If someone knows differently please correct me on this.

http://www.dwdrums.com/hardware/5000/pedals.asp

I know the 9000 comes with both the chain and strap option because of how the cam is designed.

Are you looking new or used?

If you know for sure you want a strap drive then you can order it new that way.

Now sure what kind of price you've found but you can probably come close to picking up a 9000 that you can convert from chain to strap on e-bay. Just a thought.

I owned a single chain 5000 for 12 years, no complaints. Wanted to get a double chain drive as they felt better when I played them and my wife got me the 9000 for my birthday a few years ago after watching me drool over it.. 5000 is a great pedal.

Have you tried any other pedals to compare feel?

No desire to change at all from my single chain 5000 with the PureSound beater. Feels like home to me. Every time I play someone else's pedal, I long to get back to mine. Of course I loved the old Camco strap pedals too.

I had a discussion awhile back with a friend who does A list tours from time to time. He has an amazing foot and I've heard him do triplet fills with a single pedal. His opinion was that unless you're really bashing on it (which is what microphones and PA's are for), the single chain has less mass and is more responsive than the super heavy duty things out there. I guess that is why DW still makes it.

I think it comes down to a trade off between how hard you intend to stomp on it vs. how much feel you want to get from it. What kind of music you play and how you approach it is probably the first question to ask.

thanks for all the reply.....how about the realibility???heard few funny stories about the dw 5000,and is there a price different between the strap and chain drive which one would you guys recommend me.i never use strap drive my pedals is chain drive(iron cobra)...and all the pedals that i try/use is chain drive.

thanks for all the reply.....how about the realibility???heard few funny stories about the dw 5000,and is there a price different between the strap and chain drive which one would you guys recommend me.i never use strap drive my pedals is chain drive(iron cobra)...and all the pedals that i try/use is chain drive.

I've owned two different DW5000 pedals, one before the delta hinge and one with and had absolutely no issues with either. They are reliable and durable. ANY pedal can have a problem, it's a man made product which is subject to flaws but DW has great customer service from what I hear, never had to use it.

As for the strap vs chain. You should really try to find a shop with a strap drive pedal of any brand to see if you like it. I switched out the chain on my 9000 to the included strap and to me it feel smoother and I like it better than the chain, but I have the option of going back to the chain if I choose. Some like strap drives others don't.

My single pedal is about 10 years old - a DW 4000 single chain drive. I put a Vater beater on it. It gets rotated with my Iron Cobra and right now, I'm liking the DW better because it has the round sprocket (as opposed to the cam-shaped one on the IC Power Glide) which I'm preferring at the moment. At some point the cams start messing with my brain because they're the only non-linear element on my kit (hi hat is direct, as are my hands). I do like that extra power from the cam, though.

Great pedal. It smacks the kick drum head every time I step on it and it feels nice.

thanks for the feedback
you mean i can buy the chain drive pedal and change back to strap???

Only on the 9000. The 5000 cam is different and you'll either have to buy Turbo, Accelerator or Nylon models. The 9000 has a cam that essentially is either a Turbo or an Accelerator with the ability to remove the chain and put a strap on.

The 5000s are great pedals. You can't go wrong with a new 5000. 9000s are great as well (I've got a 9K and a 5K) but I tend to prefer my 5000 strap drive. Quiet, great response, trouble-free.

Only on the 9000. The 5000 cam is different and you'll either have to buy Turbo, Accelerator or Nylon models. The 9000 has a cam that essentially is either a Turbo or an Accelerator with the ability to remove the chain and put a strap on.

The 5000s are great pedals. You can't go wrong with a new 5000. 9000s are great as well (I've got a 9K and a 5K) but I tend to prefer my 5000 strap drive. Quiet, great response, trouble-free.
is there a huge price differences between 5000 and 9000??
i only survey the 5000 price...as 9000 ist like the high end of em all right??

is there a huge price differences between 5000 and 9000??
i only survey the 5000 price...as 9000 ist like the high end of em all right??

Amazon has a 5000 right now for $179 (chain drive) 9000 is $299 this is for a single pedal.

You can find good deals on both of these on e-bay.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1311&_nkw=dw+5000+pedal&_sacat=See-All-Categories

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=dw...3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=dw+5000+pedal&_osacat=0

The 9000 is DW's "high end" pedal

whats the different between 7000pt and 7000
someone offer me a 7000pt
the guy also offer me 7000pt and 5000...around the same price,which one should i get??

Last edited:
oddly the 5000 is better than the 7000

their range goes

they have a 6000 but im not sure where that would go

I started with a Camco 5000 strap drive, and later on bought the DW 5000s with the Turbo chain drive. The nylon strap drive can be added or ordered, and the 5000 pedals are always a good bet. I only switched to the 9000 pedals last year because I could no longer ignore the improvements.

If you can't make it happen w/ a 5000, then there are larger issues. I think of the DW 5000 as a standard, kinda like the speed king of yesteryear.

I use a 5000 for gigs, I have a 9000 at home, and seriously, if I had to give up the 9000, it wouldn't faze me in the least. The 5000 is a great pedal, and would probably satisfy the

great majority of drummers, but you have to try different pedals to see what feels like home to you.

Back