Duo, Trio and Quintet footage...

Drummer Karl

KARL MEMBER
Hi everybody!

Long time no see. I thought I`d now share some "new" footage. Well, in fact the quintet stuff is from summer 09 and the trio tunes from september. Oh well...I guess I can`t even define new for myself.
Anyway, I`m currently writing this with my new MacBook...which is a great pleasure in the recording situation.

So, talking about recording I`ll just start off with the duo footage. The pianist of our trio and I met up for a duo project which will hopefully become kind of an established thing. However, this was the first time seriously experimenting (what an antithesis...) together.
You can listen to this on my myspace site: www.myspace.com/karldegenhardt
Improvised music, we hardly had the chance looking at each other...mh, seems to be just listening and trusting. Btw, it`s called "Improvisation with Max Maeckel".

Second thing are two tunes I recorded while a gig in september as I said. Just my two Rode NT2000 in front of the stage. It`s called "Beautiful Mind". A quite new original composition by our pianist (Max). You can also find it on my myspace site.

Third is a video which was shot while playing a gig with some great musicians in Greifswald...a town in the very north of Germany. We had the great chance to work with four amazing musicians from Denmark and played with Mads la Cour Langelund (flugelhorn). These four cats play together and tour with their band "QUARTz".

The piece is by the drummer of QUARTz, Kasper Tom Christiansen, called "Ends and Beginnings". Hehe, the time sig of the piano solo is the basic one of the A and B part...and you figure it out. ;-) Shouldn`t be too hard. Yeah and fun to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9OlcyucaoM

Best,

Karl

Karl, What can I say?... This!... You, and the musicians that you play with are inspiring!
I loved all of it!

Ladies & Gentlemen, an announcement;

Karl Degenhardt is no longer a talented young jazz player we all knew and loved on this forum. Mr. Degenhardt has now grown into a seasoned and skilled player with a very mature head on his shoulders and a very fine musician of great ability.

I'll ditto what Bob said. The music, the playing, the vibe said it all. It was perfect. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Hi Karl, I'm an old rock drummer who would only use brushes for painting and plays jazz like a hippopotimus doing ballet! I just don't get the "beginnings & endings" vibe at all. That's my ignorance showing through. I've listened to your tracks on Myspace though and I think they're a collective masterpiece! Insightful brush work on the intro of "way of life". Such a sexy skip feel that brings a smile to my face. A very emotive arrangement & 100% my favourite track. Stunning!! "Speak no evil" has an accomplished commercial feel that renders the track accessible to the grovelling masses like me. Very smart arrangement. Nice curved ball version of "sunny". Delivered with levity and a pleasing arrogance. "Beautiful mind" is a meander through musical flavours. Reminds me of a spring country walk with no surprises but micro intrigue with each new vista.

By far the most enjoyable jazz crap I've heard in years. Absolutely fantastic!!!

Karl,
So tasteful, such a nice sound, and playing with Mads LaCour? Excellent. You are gonna be something nasty Karl, I love to hear you improve. I say this every time, but I remember those first videos and recordings, you have been sheeedddddinggg hard. Sounds great man.
Britt

I'm part congratulating you, part jealous and part inspired.

Really man, congratulations. You and your trio (out of the stuff that listened to, 'speak no evil' stuck in my mind the most) sound awesome. You must've spent loads of time practicing alone and as a group.

Honestly I am jealous. You're 18/19 right? I'm only a couple of years younger, and we don't really compare. I'm pretty solid but you're many steps ahead of me.

It's a bit inspiring since you're a little older than me, it sets a benchmark of where i should be at that age. It makes me want to race to the pad or kit and get shedding, not to beat you when i get to that age but to be around your level, just to compare.

How much rehearsal/practice time do you put in?

Hey, thanks a loooot everyone! I really really appreciate your nice words, your thoughts.
Well, and just to advertise my trio a bit:

Our new album "Way of Life" has just been released. It consists of standards and original compositions. Gusty, Speak No Evil is part of it btw.

KopievonSDC12337copycovercopy-1.jpg

I'm part congratulating you, part jealous and part inspired.

Really man, congratulations. You and your trio (out of the stuff that listened to, 'speak no evil' stuck in my mind the most) sound awesome. You must've spent loads of time practicing alone and as a group.

Honestly I am jealous. You're 18/19 right? I'm only a couple of years younger, and we don't really compare. I'm pretty solid but you're many steps ahead of me.

It's a bit inspiring since you're a little older than me, it sets a benchmark of where i should be at that age. It makes me want to race to the pad or kit and get shedding, not to beat you when i get to that age but to be around your level, just to compare.

How much rehearsal/practice time do you put in?

Naah! ;-) Seriously, just keep playing and have fun!
Usually I spend more time with rehearsals than practicing for myself. About three or four days/nights a week I rehearse with various bands and projects, each rehearsal at least five hours...and consequently there`re the gigs.

Just keep shedding... =)

Thanks guys!

Karl

Karl, I have been on this website to know most of the in's and out's, I dont post often.

I had to commend you on your inpiring display of skills. Of anyone I have heard play on this website, you have come the furthest, in both skill set and maturity of musical style and exploration. I

It was a pleasure listening to all of it, and I agree with some others about your brush work. Just excellent.

Back