Dunnett R4L or Ludwig p88AC?

Terry Branam

Official DW Chief Transcriber
I put the P88 on the 5x14 Supraphonic today, and it looks and works great! Definitely lightweight and low mass. I kinda prefer the quiet continuous snare tightening mechanism of the P86, instead of the clicky sort of thing on the P88, but I'm sure I'll get used to it! I will see how it performs next week in the studio for sure.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I kinda prefer the quiet continuous snare tightening mechanism of the P86, instead of the clicky sort of thing on the P88, but I'm sure I'll get used to it!
One click to the next is extremely negligible in terms of the tension, you're not going to find an in-between setting that isn't satisfied by one click up or down. The clicks (detents) are there to keep the tension from loosening as you play, and they do that successfully. :)

Bermuda

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
The P-86 is a great strainer. Feather light, low profile, But man is it ugly to me. Doesn't matter, functionality first, which it excels at. I wouldn't call it bulletproof or solid. Which is why I like it, it's not overbuilt. Treat it fairly and it's great. It's my 2nd favorite operating strainer, with the no longer made Guru strainer first.
Guru strainer? My Guru has a Trick strainer.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Guru strainer? My Guru has a Trick strainer.
Yea man, Guru invented a strainer. It's my favorite. I have 5 Guru snares. One has a Trick throw, not thrilled with it, one has a Dunnett throw not thrilled with it (I changed it, it was some other strainer originally that I don't recall the name of) one has a Sonor Dual Glide I think it's called not thrilled wit dat either, and the last 2 snares I got from Andy have the Guru strainers. Which I am totally thrilled with.

Here's a vid highlighting the Guru strainer. The throw off handle is broad, thin and flat and impossible to miss. It's the most ergonomic handle out there IMO.

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I put the P88 on the 5x14 Supraphonic today, and it looks and works great! Definitely lightweight and low mass. I kinda prefer the quiet continuous snare tightening mechanism of the P86, instead of the clicky sort of thing on the P88, but I'm sure I'll get used to it! I will see how it performs next week in the studio for sure.
I don't like the click stops either. I put a smooth washer over the milled out click detents to get smooth operation from the Guru tension knob. Completely reversible...you may like it if the detents on your strainer work like the detents on the Guru strainer.

Terry Branam

Official DW Chief Transcriber
That Guru strainer looks really fun! I put the R4L on last night, and I really like it. Not as bulky as I thought, but definitely more mass than the P88C. I was bummed that the Dunnett butt plate didn't match the holes on my Black Beauty, but the die cast Ludwig will work just fine I think.

I like them both. Good upgrade! Thanks for the insights and opinions, everyone.

Last edited:

drumnut87

Yea man, Guru invented a strainer. It's my favorite. I have 5 Guru snares. One has a Trick throw, not thrilled with it, one has a Dunnett throw not thrilled with it (I changed it, it was some other strainer originally that I don't recall the name of) one has a Sonor Dual Glide I think it's called not thrilled wit dat either, and the last 2 snares I got from Andy have the Guru strainers. Which I am totally thrilled with.

Here's a vid highlighting the Guru strainer. The throw off handle is broad, thin and flat and impossible to miss. It's the most ergonomic handle out there IMO.

guru made some incredible stuff! shame they had to call it a day due to health issues :(

mikyok

Platinum Member
Not impressed with either. Here's a Dunnett that failed on a drum I hardly use.
Glad I'm not the only one who has had one of these go. Totally over engineered, never had a problem with the p85 3 in 1 oil keeps em smooth. Still got a p83 that's 58 on the acro proto and is still going strong.

HarryMC

Glad I'm not the only one who has had one of these go. Totally over engineered, never had a problem with the p85 3 in 1 oil keeps em smooth. Still got a p83 that's 58 on the acro proto and is still going strong.
I do like the P88 but I do agree with you that a little oil on them...and they all (Ludwig) work great.