Dumb (drum) key question

rmac86

Hi all,

Was watching a Benny Greb video where he talks about the Remo Quicktech drum key, specifically what interested me is the rubber bit on top – apparently this is for getting all lugs ‘finger tight’ which I think is a great feature.

Question is – if I see drum keys with similar ‘knobs’ on top of them (quite a few seem to have this) – do they all have the ability to finger tighten lugs or is this just a feature related to the Remo?

Thanks,

R

cbphoto

Gold Member
I have several Tama drum keys and the top is ribbed but it’s also slippery. It’s great for spinning on & off the tension rods, and when the rod meets the hoop, the smoothness of the ribbing prevents “over-tightening by finger”.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
There's no dumb questions -just dumb answers. For example.-the answer is obvious using a "key" it's always key tight-if you use your fingers it's finger tight. Sort of random eh? I'm not familiar with the "finger tight" key-sounds proprietary. I wonder what kind of torque or measurement is used for "finger tight". I really don't understand the addition when it's easier to use my fingers. So got the dumb answers covered. Now someone can add an informative answer.

notvinnie

if I see drum keys with similar ‘knobs’ on top of them (quite a few seem to have this) – do they all have the ability to finger tighten lugs?
Of course. As long as you just use two fingers (usually your thumb and index) to grip the tip of the key as you turn it.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I use the Evans Torque Key. Finger tighten, set the tension you want, and the key will "break" at that tension. All lugs will be the same tension. Then you can tweak the screws to tune by ear. I am not familiar with the tool you mention.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
That knob on top helps to spin the rod down quicker when doing a head change. A useful thing when needing to do a change on the quick.