Dubstep, anyone?

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
So I've recently been getting into sequencing some dubstep tunes, and I have to say its quite a lot of fun! Here's a test mix of one of the tracks I've been working on, I'd like feedback on anything and everything, and I appreciate any tips anyone can give me, especially from guys who do audio engineering! Anyways, here's the track:

http://soundcloud.com/lukesnydermusic/psy-trance-dubstep-test-mix-2

That's pretty cool Luke, some nice bits and pieces. Something about the whole mix isn't quite working for me at the moment, but I don't know what it is exactly...I think it might be that there's very little in the low midrange going on, all the sounds you've chosen have a lot of high-midrange and treble components but not a lot of other stuff. I'm not sure if that bitcrushed kick sound works as the main kick either. And the snare is very quiet compared to the kick. However, I like the general atmosphere, it just needs a bit more power in the low-mids. What are you mixing on?

Not really into the whole mainstream Skrillex-type dubstep since most of it sounds the same and the fans are incredibly annoying. Though I really like the darker kind of stuff(the one you made is pretty cool too). I like to think that it's the kind of music the space Rastafarians in the book Neuromancer by William Gibson, listen to.

That's pretty cool Luke, some nice bits and pieces. Something about the whole mix isn't quite working for me at the moment, but I don't know what it is exactly...I think it might be that there's very little in the low midrange going on, all the sounds you've chosen have a lot of high-midrange and treble components but not a lot of other stuff. I'm not sure if that bitcrushed kick sound works as the main kick either. And the snare is very quiet compared to the kick. However, I like the general atmosphere, it just needs a bit more power in the low-mids. What are you mixing on?

I'm mixing in Logic 9. I'll definitely mess around with putting more low mids in there, especially on the wobble basses, I'm assuming you're talking about. I don't know what you're listening on, but there's a ton of sub bass in there, so I don't think it'll really need more low end, haha! I'll work on getting the snare up a little more too. Thanks for the input!

Yes, I can hear there's plenty of sub-bass stuff going on, I assume you're using pure sine or triangle waves. A lot of dubstep producers use three or so different sounds for the bass for different parts of the frequency spectrum, that might be an avenue worth exploring.

Back