Dual Drummers

Jaford-Jr

So yo know how you sometimes have two keyboards two guitarist but is it possible to have two drummers (at once.. no switching out)

jackie k

Many bands in the 60's had two drummers with 2 different drum sets playing at the same time playing the bands songs. Alman brothers band and they played great music and several hit songs. Grate ful dead band. There are others but I cant remember right now.
They didnt dual each other they supported and played off each other during the playings of there songs. It creates a great percussion vibe.

New Tricks

Platinum Member
In the 60's, one of them was likely to pass out in the middle of a song so there had to be a backup ready to take over.

groove1

Silver Member
Sure, rock bands did it all the time especially in the 60's AND 70's. It's a gas when you are
on the same wavelength!

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
I am two drummers. Don't ask me how I do it, it's magical. I can split myself in two and play two kits. If I need to, I can even split into four. It's quite fun.

I can also fly. I find the trick with flying is to fall and continue to miss the ground.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Duncan you're in rare form lol.

I have an audition for an already firmly established Allman Brothers tribute band in 4 days. The one drummer, I don't know something's up with him. They are looking to replace him. A bass player from a former band recommended me. They do the 2 drummer thing. I'm supposed to be doing the Jaimoe part. I should show up in blackface lol. No percussion though, the lead singer plays the congas. Not quite all the way authentic, I know.

Never played with 2 drummers before, except at a party a few hundred years ago. I saw these guys once previously. Curious to see how the audition will go. I'll let you all know.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I played in a group with two drummers once and it was a lot fun. What we did, much like the re-formed King Crimson in the 90s, was actually split the parts up. The other drummer would play snare backbeats and toms while I played the bass drum and cymbal parts. Goofy stuff like that. We became such a choreographed team that people actually started to dig it, too bad it didn't last long, though. I think you can only ask for that much teamwork when all the band wants to do is play rock n roll ;)

MLdrum

Personally I have only jammed once with another drummer, in a realbook-session we did at school. It was A LOT of fun :D

But for established bands with two drummers, you should really check out the latest stuff from norwegian trumpet player Mathias Eick (the album called Skala (which translates to scale)). Here's a video from Garana Jazz Festival last year. Truly magical playing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Wy76mJy3c"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Wy76mJy3c

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Dude...most Latin bands have 3 drummers.One guy on a drum kit,one Timbale player,and a conga/bongo player,and sometimes a percussionist too.

I would also add the Doobie Brothers to the 2 drummer list of bands.

If you want to see something even better,then check out the "Concert for George"(Harrison).Four drummers and percussion playing at one time.

Steve B

diegobxr

Silver Member
About a month ago I went to a Foo Fighters show and one of the opening bands was "Crosses", whose singer is the guy from the band Deftones.

Those guys have two drummers. Can't say I enjoyed it. Damn, that was fu"·$%&ng LOUD.

Cheers.

MikeM

Platinum Member
What about the Melvins? I can't believe Rush took them out as an opener, though I understand they didn't impress the Rush fans much. Too bad. I thought they were awesome with one drummer but I like them even better now with two!

EDIT: Really fun drummer spot on that link at about 18:25 or so

I used to be in a two drummer band. It was super fun. I played a "regulation" kit (one up, one down) and the other drummer played a stand-up kit putting a 24" Tama Imperialstar bass drum up on floor tom legs with a snare, broken china, a tom, and various pieces of metal scrap.

Last edited:

Taye-Dyed

I have seen Lynyrd Skynyrd with two drummers although they did not always do it.

On rare occasion, the original drummer of the band I am currently in sits in with us. I just bring percussion stuff to those gigs, but the next time I want to try the two drummer thing. It would be very fun to play complimentary parts.

MLdrum

Dude...most Latin bands have 3 drummers.One guy on a drum kit,one Timbale player,and a conga/bongo player,and sometimes a percussionist too.

I would also add the Doobie Brothers to the 2 drummer list of bands.

If you want to see something even better,then check out the "Concert for George"(Harrison).Four drummers and percussion playing at one time.

Steve B
…most Latin bands have 1 drummer and 1-3 percussionists (timbale player,
conga player, etc) ;-)> I thought the OP meant "drummers" as in "drum kit players".
But nonetheless, good latin bands are quite extraordinary on swinging/grooving as
a single unit.

And yes, the two drummer thing is really fun and quite challenging actually. Just
keeping it in the pocket with another drummer is really rewarding when it's working :)>

evolving_machine

Silver Member
John Zorn did an album called Spy vs. Spy, the music of Ornette Coleman. This album did two drummers. This is a very powerful interesting version of Ornette Coleman's music. I like the original music, but listening to John Zorn's kind of adds a lot more energy to the music.

Frank Zappa also used two drummers in many of his albums.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
…most Latin bands have 1 drummer and 1-3 percussionists (timbale player,
conga player, etc) ;-)> I thought the OP meant "drummers" as in "drum kit players".
But nonetheless, good latin bands are quite extraordinary on swinging/grooving as
a single unit.

And yes, the two drummer thing is really fun and quite challenging actually. Just
keeping it in the pocket with another drummer is really rewarding when it's working :)>
I disagree.I grew up around Latin/Cuban music,and all the congueros and timbaleros I know consider themselves drummers,and not percussionists.After all...they do play drums,don't they?.

Steve B

Nuka

Melvins, Adam Ant, the list goes on.

Adam Ant has always succeeded from that depth in sound that comes only from two drummers :p

There is a band who have two drummers sharing one kit... that's always fun to watch/listen to; can't remember the name of the band though.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
I think ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead have two drummers. I saw them supporting Audioslave in 2005. To be completely honest, it was boring and made no sense. They could have easily done away with the second drum kit and it would probably have sounded better.