Dtx500 module better than DTX402?

Birdy

Just thinking about buying one as I think it may have more drums available vs my DTX482.
I’ve seen the complete kits quite cheaply for sale used, so although the other components don’t seem to be an upgrade to my DTX482, it may be worth buying for the module.
What do you experienced guys think?

Takelow

It depends your expectations. The DTX500 module (i owned one before changing it for a DTX700) will not have necessarily better internal sounds when compared to the DTX402. You will have more kits and sounds available in the DTX500 however. You will have more input in the module too (12 inputs in the DTX500 module vs 10 inputs in the DTX402). In addition, the Ride and Crash input will be 3-zone in the DTX500, while only 1-zone in the DTX402 (take a look at here: Pad Module Compatibility Table (yamaha.com) ). However, the touch app is not compatible with the DTX500 as far as i know...
What is the price of the complete kit you saw?

Last edited:

Birdy

That’s an invaluable table by the way, thanks.
If not the Dtx500 module what’s the next best to look out for by the way?

Takelow

£120.00 for the complete kit including the module? At this price, I would buy it in your situation. In addition to the module, you would have an additional KP65 that you could use as a double bass drum pedal, and rubber pads that can be use for a fourth tom for example.

Last edited:

Takelow

That’s an invaluable table by the way, thanks.
If not the Dtx500 module what’s the next best to look out for by the way?
You're welcome. In the Yamaha brand, the new DTX-Pro module seems to be a blast. We are waiting to see if Yamaha is following with a new flagship module. Concerning the old modules, The DTX700 is also a very good module. In my opinion, the DTX900 is a little bit too high in price to justify to change it (in addition, I am using the module as a trigger only for a VST).
For other brand, I will let the owners of these kits answer ;)

Birdy

Not looking to change brand as I like the Yamaha app, and looking at used rather than new due to price limit.
Also, I’m using 3 Alesis Nitro mesh toms as they’re better than the rubber ones on my DTX482 as I bought the Alesis kit first, but prefer the Yamaha module sounds.

electrodrummer

Not looking to change brand as I like the Yamaha app, and looking at used rather than new due to price limit.
Also, I’m using 3 Alesis Nitro mesh toms as they’re better than the rubber ones on my DTX482 as I bought the Alesis kit first, but prefer the Yamaha module sounds.
That Yamaha app doesn't work with the DTX500 (there isn't a DTX500 Touch). You need a DTX502 and the DTX502 Touch app. (or a DTX700 and its app. Or the new DTX-PRO module and its app when it arrives)

Takelow

Actually, Birdy, the app is convenient, I agree (I have the DTX700 Touch app too), but there is nothing you can do with it that can't be done directly with the module. And since the menu in the module is initially not so easy to understand and navigate in, it become very easy once you did it one time or two. I am not sure that the app should be a buy or no buy element... in addition, did you already consider to use a VST to provide the sounds and use the module as a trigger? If you have a good enough computer, you should try it. Actually, no module can compete with a good VST sound-wise... I was very happy with the native sound of my DTX700 initially... but I understood that it was not so good once I tried AD2.
Your DTX402 have a USB midi-out port that can send midi informations, so you can try it yourself. And the DTX500 have a Midi out port and can then be used with a VST library. It would be a cheap solution to both increase the number of inputs for your drum AND the overall quality of your sounds.

In this configuration, I NEVER use the DTX700 touch app anymore.

graysonator

That Yamaha app doesn't work with the DTX500 (there isn't a DTX500 Touch). You need a DTX502 and the DTX502 Touch app. (or a DTX700 and its app. Or the new DTX-PRO module and its app when it arrives)
I just played on the dtx6 at my local music store and despite small pads, the sounds are very good, significantly better than its predecessor.

Birdy

I’ve linked up the DTX482 to the rec n share app, but my music is on Spotify which doesn’t seem to be an option . Do I have to switch to iTunes which is featured or is there a work round?

Takelow

This app do not support Spotify music downloading for recording or practice over it. iTunes should be good.

Fritz Frigursson

the 500 is the better sounding module with an actual screen, albeit not very big. More functions. You shouldn't get a module because of compatibility with an app that only works with the 402, it's pointless. It doesn't do anything revolutionary like give you new sounds, it just controls the module (because it doesn't have a screen, what kind of idea was that from Yamaha). You should buy an AUX cable and just use spotify, it's the better platform with more songs. Don't compromise on kit quality just because of an app lol

Birdy

Thanks. The touch app is a great help using screen scrolls to choose options in the module rather than having to hold mode button, press key 2 then key 1 etc with no screen to show these changes on the module itself on my DTX482.
But if the 500 has a better sounding module plus a screen then that looks better, but will it link to the rec n share app?

Takelow

No. No compatibility with the yamaha apps. And the sound will not be better than the 402. Read again my first post ;)

Birdy

Ok, just that FF said otherwise. Thanks, I’ll go for later module then if the price is acceptable to my limited budget.