Dry ride with rivets?

HeavyDrums

My cymbal buying quest is, hopefully, about to come to an end. My last purchase may be a 20" Zildjian Pre Aged Dry Light Ride with three rivets. I haven't heard the cymbal yet. My only concern is the rivets. What effect do they have on the sound?
Do they counter the dryness of the cymbal? Do they change the cymbal's value? This cymbal would round out my set of old Ks. I intend to use this more as a low crash than a ride. Could I easily remove the rivets if I don't like the sound?

8Mile

Platinum Member
I'm not familiar with that particular cymbal. But I own a K Custom Left Side Ride (the Peter Erskine cymbal) that has a three-rivet cluster. It's a VERY dry cymbal, but the rivets do provide a nice counter to that. I can't imagine that cymbal without them, I think it would be too dry. Mine is not particularly good for crashing, though. It's a little too clangy. I love having a cymbal with rivets for when I'm playing with brushes, too.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Removing rivets is easy if you wanted. Apply a piece of tape on the underside of the rivet to hold it up in it's hole. Take a pair of pliers, vice grips would be better, and crush the top of the rivet until it can fall through the hole. That's it. I mean, you could cut them out with a Dremel if you wanted, but personally I would never put a cutting wheel next to an undamaged cymbal.

opentune

Platinum Member
My cymbal buying quest is, hopefully, about to come to an end. My last purchase may be a 20" Zildjian Pre Aged Dry Light Ride with three rivets. I haven't heard the cymbal yet. My only concern is the rivets. What effect do they have on the sound?
Do they counter the dryness of the cymbal? Do they change the cymbal's value? This cymbal would round out my set of old Ks. I intend to use this more as a low crash than a ride. Could I easily remove the rivets if I don't like the sound?

I had this cymbal once and it is quite nice without rivets (mine had none). I sold it though because it did not really cut in a band, but was nice for quiet playing.

Good luck, the cymbal buying quest really never ends.

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
The main problem with dry cymbals is that they are a lot quieter than most other cymbals. They sound great, but they just don’t cut through the mix as well

Rivets really help with that