Drumwerx quality and value

T

trkdrmr

Careful, you are beginning to contradict yourself. There is no objectivity here. It's up to the individual.
I think a thick ply shell sounds better than a stave shell. I've owned both.
..and that leads to which stave? what thickness? what wood? who made it, and what was the bearing edge? ...and so on. Same argument, different application. I like certain metal shells better than any wood shells, so there you go. Again, measurably louder as well. But I digress.

To steer this converasation to your comment... if I was going to put that kind of cash into a high end kit, it would be a Sonor or DW. Custom shops that use Keller shells do not hold value at all. People that make Keller kits in private (like myself) can expect almost nothing in returned *regardless* of what was put into the kit due to lack of "name brand" status.

In the world of motorcycles, a real Harley may cost the same or less than a Honda Shadow, but won't bottom out on you in 5 years for value. The same could be said of drumwerx.

As stated, I couldn't see the investment, unless you are willing to take a huge loss. $6K into a drumwerx might get you $1,200 for the kit in 2 years. $6K into a Sonor and (assuming you can find one used) could probably get you $4K in 2 years.

Last edited:

hateplow

Silver Member
As stated, I couldn't see the investment, unless you are willing to take a huge loss. $6K into a drumwerx might get you $1,200 for the kit in 2 years. $6K into a Sonor and (assuming you can find one used) could probably get you $4K in 2 years.
We can agree on this.

By the way, when you get back to the states, I challenge you to a drum-off. Then we can settle this argument once and for all!

T

trkdrmr

We can agree on this.

By the way, when you get back to the states, I challenge you to a drum-off. Then we can settle this argument once and for all!
How would a drum off settle the actual sound capabilities of a drum kit? That's a measure of drumming ability not what the kit can actually do.

A true test would be setting up a kit in a quasi-anechoic chamber, with calibrated mics and FFT analysis. That would be a true subjective test of the sound envelope any given kit is capable of producing.

Another test would be a double-blind. Having a drummer behind an acoustically transparent opaque screen play one kit, then the other. A panel could vote without knowing what kit they are voting for.

That being said, I should be at next years woodstick in the Seattle area, so any drumming contests I do would benefit charity.

Meanwhile, when I get back and assemble my Trick kit...I will be playing the hell out of it, feeding stray animals, drinking heavily and viewing a LOT of "inappropriate" material. All the stuff I can't do now. Oh yeah...and cohabitating with women on a casual, non-professional basis.

Incidentally, I am watching the master Steve Smith's new DVD on his beautiful sq2 kit right now. I know I should be working, but I decided to slack after 72 hours and counting.

hateplow

Silver Member
How would a drum off settle the actual sound capabilities of a drum kit? That's a measure of drumming ability not what the kit can actually do.
Simple. My SQ2 kit gives me super-human drumming skill, which allows the drums to sound exponetially better than any Keller derived kit, regardless of environment. That's how.
Enjoy the Steve Smith video. He's got some high quality drums...

PS Chicks dig SQ2s.

T

trkdrmr

Simple. My SQ2 kit gives me super-human drumming skill, which allows the drums to sound exponetially better than any Keller derived kit, regardless of environment.
That's totally awesome power! That's just too much enchantment for one kit to have! :X

Trust me, sitting behind an SQ2 or that limited ebony signature kit, you feel nothing but inspiration. Companies that use Keller shells make a fine product, but in addition to lack of resale (as I experianced) they don't have the same soul as a Sonor, DW or Ludwig legacy for that matter. A "nice kit" vibe is not as powerful as the one you get from a company steeped in history. That is regardless of sound.

"I'm the king of the world! I have a Sonor!!!!" ...it's kinda like that.

Last edited:
T

trkdrmr

I couldn't resist...had to add the line to my signature..it's classic. :)

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
I couldn't resist...had to add the line to my signature..it's classic. :)
You make me laugh my ass off!

I agree, a Keller kit will have less cachet than a non-Keller set, even though Keller makes great shells. Although I have to say the Drumwerx finish is staggeringly beautiful.

For that amount of money, you might as well go with a stave or something non-ply and truly exotic,

mmoroccojr

I bought one and play it daily. I love the sound and the finish. A payed over 4k for the kit. It has keller shells with an olive ash burl exotic veneer. The shells ring and have a warm tone..

jer

Silver Member
This whole thread I'm thinking to myself; When I bought my keller kit, resale wasn't considered. Am I ever going to need a better kit than this? And if I am, I'll probably have enough cash not to worry about it.

Nice looking kits. Although it has nothing to do with sound, I was a little put off by a pic clearly showing their logo was on a sticker on the reso as opposed to being printed on.

Would not buy.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
If you've the skills and are set-up to do it, making your own exotic veneer KELLER shell set would save a ton of money.

I'm pretty sure UNIX would laugh at the finish in the photo below.

$4,000.00 ??

...........................................................................................................................................................

Last edited: