Drums on "All This Time" by Sting?

G-Con

Anyone know who played drums on this track? I believe it came out 1990 or 1991. Sounds ALOT like Stewart Copeland, but I find that highly unlikely. The drum sound and the playing is 110% Copeland though. If it's not him they definitely went out of their way to sound like him - at least on this particular song.

Here's a youtube link...note the drum sound, and the little ride cymbal lick @ 2:48...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Ewh6Bk-Qo

G-Con

Yea whenever I google it thats what comes up, but it always seems to be the information for the 2001 live album "All This Time", not the original track itself. Maybe it's him as well on the original recording as well...I sure as hell don't know...

drummydude

It is. Manu is a great drummer. I actually used to play along to that tune quite a bit. It's one of the songs that got me playing straight eighth notes on my left foot while playing the ride. Another great tune he recorded with Sting was "Fortress around your heart". Check it out.

Spreggy

Silver Member
It is. Manu is a great drummer. I actually used to play along to that tune quite a bit. It's one of the songs that got me playing straight eighth notes on my left foot while playing the ride. Another great tune he recorded with Sting was "Fortress around your heart". Check it out.

"Fortress" was on Dream of the Blue Turtles, which was all Omar Hakim I believe. I don't hear the Copeland vibe in this tune, it's more like just what you can always expect from Manu Katche. A rich groove that speaks to the music in subtle ways.

drummydude

"Fortress" was on Dream of the Blue Turtles, which was all Omar Hakim I believe.

Right you are Spreggy. I stand corrected. Sorry bout that. It's just Sting has had so many great drummers I mix em up. Thanks for setting me straight.

M

michael drums

"All This Time" is off of Stings' The Soul Cages. Which came out in 1991.

With Manu Katche' on the drums.

;-)