Drums in College?"\

?uesto

Silver Member
I'll be going to college in about a year, and I'm contemplating getting an electronic kit for my dorm. Are they usually allowed? I know acoustic won't be, but I don't think I'll have much of a problem with these. I just hate electronic ones so much. "Electronic drums have no soul."

Anyway, is this a good idea? I'll be visiting home very seldom, so I'll definitely want something at school. I guess it depends on my dorm/suite mates too though...

zakhopper316

Silver Member
if you get a decent one, you will be surprised how much dynamics they retain. you really got tweak the settings tho.

but i agree they will never be the same as a drumset, and i think it depends on the college, and your gonna need alot of matting to muffle the bass drum thump to the dorm room below you, unless your on the first floor of corse.

I'm facing the same problem, or at least I will be this September. My plan is just to bring my acoustic kit and buy muting pads for it. I'll just fill the bass drum with pillows to completely muffle it. Hopefully that will be sufficient. The dorm room might be a little claustrophobic though :p

Skulmoski

Gold Member
Hopefully that will be sufficient. The dorm room might be a little claustrophobic though :p
Sardine living! Dorm rooms are often quite cramped and not conducive to drum sets. Check out the dorm before you buy an electronic kit. Be aware that your practice time can interfere with someone else's study time. Some people are very easily distracted and aggitated when they are studying.

This concern comes up frequently, and I recommend using this time to explore other percussion such as frame drums. When a kit drummer learns other types of drumming, he matures and grows. Frame drums are relatively inexpensive, small, are portable and fairly quiet. You can easily take a frame drum to a park or to an acoustic jam. Check out what you can do with a frame drum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB0hE-YlfzQ

Good luck with school.

GJS

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
...This concern comes up frequently, and I recommend using this time to explore other percussion such as frame drums. When a kit drummer learns other types of drumming, he matures and grows. Frame drums are relatively inexpensive, small, are portable and fairly quiet. You can easily take a frame drum to a park or to an acoustic jam. Check out what you can do with a frame drum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB0hE-YlfzQ

Good luck with school.

GJS
I agree with this whole-heartedly. My father plays the bodhran(along with a plethora of other musical instruments) and he has a great time playing it. So, I picked it up and I got the hang of it in days. It's relatively quieter, and it's great to play.

Good luck with college and work and grades and all that.

mcbike

Silver Member
When I was in college there where alot a few different options for playing drums. I think once on the weekend I had a band practice in my dorm room, but it was really weird and we didn't much done because people kept stopping by to check it out. My dorm room actually had practice rooms in the basement, that you could maybe squeeze a drumset in but they were more set up for a horn. There was about 12 of them they had an upright piano in each one. There was also different halls and meeting rooms on campus that you could sign out and practice in. I basically would hit the practice pad up in the room and then jam with different people in other situations around campus. They also had drumset practice rooms in the music building which were about 5x5 that you could rent for the semester for a small fee.

You should check with your college and see what they can do to accomodate you. You probably aren't the first and only drummer to ever go to your college.

I eventually got a garage at a self storage place next to campus that I shared with a few other musicians and practiced there, and did that till I got a house to play in.

JoeLackey

I think the best thing you can do in this situation is get the 'Go Anywhere Practice Pad' by DW. It'll fit into the smallest corners and isn't too loud. They pads feel alright, as well. Check it out.

PreppieNerd

Silver Member
Unless you have a very disciplined practice regimen and will have a psychological breakdown if you don't adhere to it, try a semester without the kit.

Get a cajon or djembe, mess with that for a while. Also try out for the school jazz band if you're comfortable with that and it's offered.

ChrisS

My school has practice rooms specifically for drum sets. if the college your going to has a decent music program they should have these.