Drums for a 4 year old.

MikeDH

My son loves the drums. He has gone through a Toddler set already and gets to play on a real set occasionally. Unfortunately they don't fit. He went to a week of drum camp with an incredible teacher, who I learned later is a grammy winning drummer. At that class he played on a Jr set and they had to adjust it to make it fit, but it worked. I just didn't want to spend money on one of those sets if I could make either an electronic set or a full size set work.
I saw Justin Wilson, noted as a 4-year old drummer (https://www.today.com/parents/watch-1-year-old-drummer-rock-out-t100214) and asked his father about his drums. He said that he cut the High-Hat stand to lower it and used styrofoam blocks to help him reach the pedals.

My Choices for a kit for his bedroom:
Electric Kit: simmons sd600 or 350, 550
Adjusted standard kit
Jr Kit
Drummer Boy.jpg

Don't get an electronic kit. Get him a Jr kit or a real kit.

Used Jr Kits are fairly common on Craigslist or the Facebook Marketplace, you might find one cheap. That's also a great place to find a 'real' kit for him as well. Lots of entry level kits for hundreds less.

Back on topic:
Maybe a Ludwig Breakbeats without the riser on it would work? If you have to modify anything further just ask. Most of us will help.
Thank you. I believe that is what he was playing on in the drum camp. I will check them out.

I'd go for the Jr. Kit. My son loved to play my acoustic kit more than my e-kit around that age. But that's my son. The e-kit may have some cool sounds that might be fun for you kiddo too. Look for a used one either way, to save on cash. Paste the links to the used kits here if you are not 100% sure and people here will help you.

Thank you. I’m not a drummer but have read that acoustic kits are much better to learn on. I appreciate your advice.

Thank you. I’m not a drummer but have read that acoustic kits are much better to learn on. I appreciate your advice.

They are, because an e-kit will balance itself, to a large extent, in terms of volume and tone. Acoustic drums have a wider dynamic range (very quiet to very loud), and need to be hit accurately in order to sound good.

Even at 4 years old, your kid probably understands that the “real” drummers he likes are playing real kits. An e-kit will have more sounds, yes, but the fun in that will wear off sooner than the challenge of making real drums sound good.

You should not buy online. Go to a used music store and have the salesman set up a kit for you. Look for used Breakbeats, Sonor Safari, Yamaha Hip Gig, Gretch Catalina — anything with a small 18” bass drum. You might find short hi hat and snare stands, or you might have to cut down full size stands. Be prepared to replace some of the heads. Set up the drums, and make sure the Tom holders can actually hold the toms, that there aren’t missing pieces, etc. You’re going to spend a few hundred. But you can probably sell it, or donate it, down the road, if it’s playable and complete.

They are, because an e-kit will balance itself, to a large extent, in terms of volume and tone. Acoustic drums have a wider dynamic range (very quiet to very loud), and need to be hit accurately in order to sound good.

Even at 4 years old, your kid probably understands that the “real” drummers he likes are playing real kits. An e-kit will have more sounds, yes, but the fun in that will wear off sooner than the challenge of making real drums sound good.

You should not buy online. Go to a used music store and have the salesman set up a kit for you. Look for used Breakbeats, Sonor Safari, Yamaha Hip Gig, Gretch Catalina — anything with a small 18” bass drum. You might find short hi hat and snare stands, or you might have to cut down full size stands. Be prepared to replace some of the heads. Set up the drums, and make sure the Tom holders can actually hold the toms, that there aren’t missing pieces, etc. You’re going to spend a few hundred. But you can probably sell it, or donate it, down the road, if it’s playable and complete.
Thank you. Great advice!!!

This is the one I’m considering for my grandson -probably next year though as he’s only 3 and not quite there yet. I’m hoping I can talk the kids into letting him keep it at their house so he’ll have access to it whenever he wants...

Attachments

• 5D9027A3-F256-4A1D-A463-8F58BCAC26CA.jpeg
    5D9027A3-F256-4A1D-A463-8F58BCAC26CA.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 7
For a bill. . . .

I don't know a thing about them except, close to 400 others have purchased one and the average feedback says "good quality".

You can spend up to 3 or 4 bills or more on a junior size kit. But definitely start out a bit less expensive, makes sense right?

Maybe a Pearl Rhythm Traveler POD-it's small-it has regular heads and mesh heads for quiet playing. It comes with cruddy cymbals but perfect for a young spud. The toms and snares are on octopus arms you can adjust to height-so not a lot of stands in way and can adjust low for a youth. I'd check them out.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 7.30.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 7.30.08 PM.png
    292.6 KB · Views: 3
Yamaha Stage Custom. That way when he turns 6 he can move up to something better. ?
Hey Now!! I resemble that comment. I haven't moved up to something "better". Of course, I'm probably not as good as a six year old either. :)

T.

Back