Drums/Cymbals Ratio

My drums are way more cost wise:
3 kits 25 drums
11 snares
set of timbales
I have 2 vintage and 1 new (new from factory) kits that I carefully selected to own/collect.

20-22 cymbals
My cymbals are all newer Sabian AA series and above that are easily replaceable, though some would be hard to part with.

I only play four drums. My cymbals are currently five (hats, ride, China, two crashes). At church the cymbals are seven (hats, ride, China, splash, three crashes). With my gear the drums cost more than the cymbals. Peace and goodwill.

I have two other drums and four other cymbals and the hardware to use all of it. However, I never use it all. Peace and goodwill.

If you have more drums than cymbals your a drummer if more cymbals than drum a percussionist or a Cymbalist. So a regular F-in Cymbalist Jr. LOL. Generally more money on cymbals except my baby- my SONOR snare that was just ridiculously expensive.

more money on cymbals except my baby- my SONOR snare that was just ridiculously expensive.
I'm waiting for Sonor to come out with a $2500 snare! One that drives itself to the gig.

If you have more drums than cymbals your a drummer if more cymbals than drum a percussionist or a Cymbalist. So a regular F-in Cymbalist Jr. LOL. Generally more money on cymbals except my baby- my SONOR snare that was just ridiculously expensive.
I've already heard that about the cymbalist.. yes, I am, being the keys player of the band, it's easier for me to play cymbals than drums...And cymbals are so special beast!!!!

Last edited:
I’ve always liked lots of cymbals (in a given setup, as opposed to in the full collection).

Even playing a 4 piece, I want like 3 crashes. And a china. Or 2. And wouldn’t a splash be nice for the occasional accent? Can I bring my stack too?

I’ve always liked lots of cymbals (in a given setup, as opposed to in the full collection).

Even playing a 4 piece, I want like 3 crashes. And a china. Or 2. And wouldn’t a splash be nice for the occasional accent? Can I bring my stack too?
Same, I was the first to reply to this thread thinking, well, that's me!!!

8 drums (plus a spare snare)
7 cymbals counting both hats (really miss my 16” Zildjian crash, so it will be 8 at some point).

Everything except the 16” floor tom was used (found 2010 NOS on eBay and snagged it), drums and hardware total about $1,250.
Cymbals are all Zildjian and Tama stands total about $800.

I want to upgrade one or two of the cheaper cymbals eventually but they are pretty good for what I need.
1610417707293.jpeg

1610417747812.jpeg

I have three setups, and they're very similar to each other in ratios.

Cymbals: Drums (counting a hi-hat pair as one cymbal)

Sonor 2001 - 6:5
Sonor Bop - 5:4
Pearl Crystal Beat - 6:5

I get it (the joke about the FBI actor haha).
Just curious what qualifies as ridiculously expensive. although I have seen some unbelievably high pricing for what amounts to essentially the same thing for its cheaper counterparts. I understand build quality and components especially for custom made.. inlaid exotic wood, gold plated lugs, platinum butt plate, sterling silver snare wires, etc..lol
What makes some (mass produced) snares X times more expensive than others? Actually the question is what makes them that much more valuable?

Good question SomeBad but after I played this snare (Artisan 13X7 Amboina) a friend had, and I had gone on and on about it, my wife surprised me and bought it for me for Xmas. I would have never paid so much for a single snare-but I'm glad she did. I think she said she paid like between $1,200-1,500 new but now I see them a lot less. She was an idiot to pay so much for it but I'd be an idiot not to take it LOL. I've never been fond of deep snares till I played this one. I do think I need to find balance so need a SONOR Delite snare-I hear it's a delight to play.

Last edited:
What makes some (mass produced) snares X times more expensive than others? Actually the question is what makes them that much more valuable?
The badge and where it’s made. What its components are made of is secondary.

Well i'm not going to count them all, but this is guess the only "0 drums" setup :p
I'm going to take a guess.... ratio of 0:42

Back