Drums changed how I listen to music

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Bats “see” hearing yes a more sophisticated high frequency echolocation but have an auditory image that evolution just sharpened. We see music I think to some degree-because our hearing activates motor and other areas so more than just hearing it- we feel it

ToneT

Can I get an AMEN.
AMEN!
I'll listen to music with several approaches...
I will zero in on certain production values. How is it mixed? How does the bass drum sound? How is the total drum mix? Placement of instruments in the stereo spectrum.
I will chart out the music, song form, drum parts, etc.
I will listen to the total picture for enjoyment. Do I really like this? Am I having an emotional reaction to this song?
Is it triggering any memories of the past?

Bozozoid

AMEN!
I'll listen to music with several approaches...
I will zero in on certain production values. How is it mixed? How does the bass drum sound? How is the total drum mix? Placement of instruments in the stereo spectrum.
I will chart out the music, song form, drum parts, etc.
I will listen to the total picture for enjoyment. Do I really like this? Am I having an emotional reaction to this song?
Is it triggering any memories of the past?
I get inspired by things that some might just casually pass over like this response.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I am probably in the minority in that I get a deeper understanding of the feeling of the music from the analyzation.

there has never been a point in my life where I didn't listen to music and try to figure out the nuances from a writing, theoretic, texturing, phrasing, recording techniques etc. standpoint.

I was listening to La Villa Strangiato by Rush for the billionth time a few weeks ago - a song that I have been listening to for more than 40 years; a song I have picked apart on drums and bass; a song that I feel like I know...and I heard something in the guitar part for the first time ever. To me that is magical, and would not have probably happened if I had not been using an analytical ear while listening

you can be totally analytical, and still understand the big picture. The nuance of each puzzle piece is what makes the big picture awesome

SomeBadDrummer

Listening is important- the language of music is the sounds. But speaking of listening and off track I’d still like to share. . I’ve noted people comment my snare sounds choked-it’s sounded fine to me. But this past Sunday I was playing in church and my one hearing I’m wearing went dead. So I was flying deaf that day. I took it in Monday for repairs so pulled out my older one. Damn my drums sounded completely different -the snare is choked sounding. I’m like WTH? Well got my newer back yesterday but yet to play kit after retuning. I’m curious how it will sound now? But there is a relevant point- when you listen to music it’s different on cell phone or laptop compared to headphones or good system. So be careful of how you listen- it’s only as good as what you hear.
Brian Johnson is a good example. Love AC⚡DC. Damn