Drums and Guitar

ageadm

Hey guys,

I started learning the drums 2 months ago, but my family also brought me a guitar recently. I'm quite in a good way to learning drums... would this motion be ruined if I start with guitar too?

I just don't want to complicate things for myself, but I'm not sure if the guitar would actually interrupt me with the drums. What do you think guys? Can I learn both at the same time? I have now enough time to dedicate for both, it's summer holidays. YAY!

It is always good to learn multiple instruments, especially in the early stages. My advice though, would be to pick one of them as your primary instrument, the one you enjoy and wat to pursue the most. Practice that one more predominantly and ease into the other one practicing at a less intense level as more of a side hobby. Knowing how to play multiple instruments will help you musically, but I believe you need to have your primary instrument clearly defined.

I play them both and have some ideas about it. Think of learning to play an instrument the
way you think of planting a seed and then watching the plant grow as you water it etc.
It is a lifelong process. No one knows what the outcome will be but you just keep working at
it and you get better and better.

Playing both guitar and drums and LEARNING both guitar and drums are two different things.
I would strongly suggest you begin with drums and get your timing right. Get a teacher if you can and a metronome. Everything you learn about timing with respect to drums will help
your guitar playing. It may be difficult to just let the guitar "sit there" without messing around with it too....so learn 3 or 4 simple open position chords and learn to strum them "in time".

I would put the guitar on the "rear burner" for now and spend most of your time learning to play the drums. If you want to play with others, this advice will get you there the quickest.

Have fun and Good Luck!

Obtaining knowledge and skill is never a deterrent.

Thanks guys and also thanks for bringing up the primary instrument question, I forgot to mention it in the first post.

Well, the drums are obviously the primary instrument I am interested in, the guitar is something I never asked to have, but they simply brought it in my room lol. Not that I want to fulfill my duty as the "present acceptor" and now play the guitar just because they brought it to me, that's not the reason, but I really would like to learn it too, as I said, main focus would stay on drums. My kit is the only instrument I really really love.

So again, how would YOU schedule the practice time for the drums and guitar? I practice on drums like 1-2 hours per day for 2 months now.

anyone? This is quite urgent!

Sorry, but I could never think of "scheduling" the creative process. I'd do what I want and do it when I can. What's so urgent? You could be playing right now!

anyone? This is quite urgent!

No offense, but you're overthinking this whole thing. Play both and focus on getting good on both. It's not a race. Put your time in and practice regularly.

You never know, guitar may end up being your primary instrument. Eddie Van Halen started out on drums and Alex Van Halen started out on guitar. We all know that changed.

Sorry for acting desperate, but I'm quite excited about this whole thing. I just don't wanna mess things up.

I thought that if I take the guitar now it's going to have a bad influence in my drumming progress - Drummer is what I want to be on my future band.

Back