Drumnetics 3XF is here!

Drumsinhisheart

Silver Member
Mike Van Dyk's Drumnetics web site and pedal are up and running:

www.drumnetics.com

The site looks nice, as does the new 3XF pedal. Sleek and classy.

$329 + $20 shp.

I'm biased because I have switched and use them and love them, but I dare say when players get exposed to magnetic repulsion and the feel of it, the precision and dynamic control, especially the new design with the axle magnets, going back to springs will be difficult.

Drummers with developed feet can play on any pedal, really, but the Drumnetics has made it easier for me. The interplay between brain and feet has never been so organic and seamless. It's a true pleasure to use. Until now I always felt the bass pedal was something I had to settle for, and just worked with them, good as some mechanics are in spring-based designs. Now, it's like an extension of my feet, the same as sticks an extension of the hands.

Hi-hat the same thing. Never played a h-h so responsive and in harmony with the bass pedals.

Double pedal, long board, other designs will be out as Mike can release them.

If you're shopping for a new pedal give Drumnetics a look.

Thanks for this info.

This looks incredibly tempting to me. I wish that they were available somewhere to try. The majority of the info that I found is from you....and it is much appreciated!

I had an e-mail to Mike and he seems like a terrific guy. My only qualm is the pedal board and that is likely just a visual thing. I'd bet that in practice it is perfect but the narrow bottom portion just looks a bit odd. That portion of the board may not even be thinner than the majority of pedals out there.

Thanks again!

Eric

Someone had a magnetic pedal out a few years ago. What happened to those?

Thanks for this info.

This looks incredibly tempting to me. I wish that they were available somewhere to try. The majority of the info that I found is from you....and it is much appreciated!

I had an e-mail to Mike and he seems like a terrific guy. My only qualm is the pedal board and that is likely just a visual thing. I'd bet that in practice it is perfect but the narrow bottom portion just looks a bit odd. That portion of the board may not even be thinner than the majority of pedals out there.

Thanks again! Eric

It's interesting to see how pedal manufacturers place their footboard and heel together. Some use a full hinge, others place the footboard outside the heel, and others inside. Mike felt the inside position was better for his centered design. The Drumnetics footboard is not as wide at the heel, as you mention, but the strength of the aluminum is certainly not compromised. And the action is smooth and unfettered. His forthcoming design for a longboard will take advantage of the inside design. It's going to be cool.

Right now he's concentrating on meeting orders for the launch of the new pedal.

BTW, there's a ten page discussion of the pedal, going back to 2008 when the first design was released, here:

http://bcwtj.forumotion.com/t168-drumnetics-magnetic-pedal

I found an original on ebay, #0012. It plays great, too. But the new axle magnets are the gem.

I had Mike convert my Yamaha pedal to a direct drive with magnets, and I still love it. I'll have to check out the new pedals.

I tried out two or three conversions. Not sure what I expected, but no comparison to the 3XF. The fully magnet driven pedal just has a feel all its own. The conversions were nice. But for my style of playing the footboard was coming back up too quickly with too much force. I dance on the footboard, and if my foot left the board at all it came right back up at me and messed up my strokes. For more simple patterns or for fast single strokes you can really get it cooking, but for the way I play I wasn't comfortable with them. Those few who have them (he's stopped converting pedals) really love them though.

Just slipped one into my Santa sack while SWSBO wasn't looking. Pricey (what else are you going to do with all the gig money) as i'm on otherside of world but these look innovative, quality and unique. A youtube on a comparison with a host of other pedals sold it to me (currently using Pearl Eliminators with vickick beater and nothing wrong with them though have had a chain let go once.

Can't wait for it to arrive and try it out.

Mike is great to deal with at http://drumnetics.com/

4th Qtr 2018 - Newest Drumnetics single has 5 magnet pairs - I purchased the Long Board version (custom order) below. This is the absolute best pedal I have ever used in 40+ years of playing!

Attachments

• small IMG_20181023_130905.jpg
    small IMG_20181023_130905.jpg
    498 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
Does it come with different magnets to adjust the feel of the pedal? If not, guess you're stuck with however light/heavy it feels out of the box. This would be a deal killer for me.

Mine arrived a few days ago but I'm immersed in NAMM thru Monday and haven't even opened it, so you're gonna beat me to it. Let us know how it is!

Bermuda

Mine should be arriving tomorrow. So stoked to try it!

I have owned one for just over 4 years.. the things are amazing.. BUT learning to adjust it can be frustrating... once you get it set properly though you can forget it.. haven't touched mine in years and it's always exactly the same every single day :) It's pretty much the only drumming item i never second guessed buying. And Mike is awesome to deal with.

P.S. on mine i switched to a Vintage Bomber beater.. i found the hard felt one a bit much for me. i like a THUD not a smack..

Have you ha a chance to use the pedal yet? Your thoughts?

The jury's kinda still out, but I will say I like the pedal a lot. It's smooth and responsive, and I get good power with it (usually you get power or responsiveness, not both.) About 90% of the time the pedal feels great, and once in a while, it feels like I have to work it. Then it goes back to normal. It's hard to explain, but it's the same vibe I got from my Trick pedal, which is also a direct-pull. It's not a deal-breaker, just odd.

I've got 4 different gigs this week, and after that I'll make my decision whether to bring it on tour (5 nights a week for 13 weeks) or not.

Bermuda

The jury's kinda still out, but I will say I like the pedal a lot. It's smooth and responsive, and I get good power with it (usually you get power or responsiveness, not both.) About 90% of the time the pedal feels great, and once in a while, it feels like I have to work it. Then it goes back to normal. It's hard to explain, but it's the same vibe I got from my Trick pedal, which is also a direct-pull. It's not a deal-breaker, just odd.

I've got 4 different gigs this week, and after that I'll make my decision whether to bring it on tour (5 nights a week for 13 weeks) or not.

Bermuda

Thanks for the update. I'm thinking about a new pedal and the Drumnetics is on the radar but.... I think its one of those ,you buy it you own it products.(not implying its bad at all). Just not very mainstream. I would really like to see it in person but that will never happen.

Bermuda

It is kind of weird at first, especially learning to adjust it since there is so much adjustement.. I keep my main pedal magnet very light, and the return magnets pretty stiff. But it did take some playing around to get it just right, that being said.. i haven't touched any adjustments in 4 years, it just works great..

Back