Drumming with just a left hand after a stroke (yikes!)

BillBachman

Gold Member
Hey all, I haven't been around these parts for a bit, but here's a pretty big update: I had a stroke which took out use of my right hand. The part of my brain that controlled it got starved of blood and died while I was sleeping. Now other parts of my brain are picking up the slack and are taking over control of these tasks (like a baby playing with toys learning how to use/control their bodies). The part of my brain that stores all of the muscle memory (and so many other key parts) stayed safe fortunately. I believe that Lord designed our brains incredibly well and that I will make a full recovery. I'm at 7 weeks now and am starting to (sort of) play low & lightly with my right hand, but there's still a long road before it'll be functional enough for the kit. I've stayed on the horse playing and teaching, but it's been a long & hard 7 weeks. This too shall pass...

Anyway, here's a bit of left hand only playing at my church--oh, and they let me out of the fishbowl for a night!

Wow Bill so sorry for the incident but glad your prognosis looks good-you're right about the Good Lord. They have any idea what would have precipitated a stroke in a relative young man? Well that's no matter my prayers for your healing dude.You should always play this song one handed-man that's excellent what a testimony right there-don't have to say a word.

Last edited:
Bill, I'm so sorry that happened to you. My dad had one when he was young (40) and it ended his guitar playing.

Best of luck on a speedy recovery.

You've somehow made a post that's both supremely terrifying and amazingly inspirational at the same time.

I sincerely wish you the fastest possible recovery. And with that attitude, you WILL recover!

Wow, Bill! Wishing you a full recovery. Amazing attitude and playing.

You've somehow made a post that's both supremely terrifying and amazingly inspirational at the same time.

I sincerely wish you the fastest possible recovery. And with that attitude, you WILL recover!

Well said James.

Bill I am shocked. You're way too young it seems. Stop it! Hard to fathom. Sending great thoughts your way. OK there, done. I'm doing it again.......

Keep us posted, OK?

Damn. You play with more feeling using one hand/arm than a 1000 drummers I've heard using both limbs. Amazing what can be done if you don't give up. I'm impressed. God bless my friend.

Hi Bill, sorry this happened. Great job on the left hand only drumming...outstanding! I'm happy to see that you won't let this stop you. This is a great attitude, keep up the positive work. Wishing you a full recovery.

Bill your post was a shocker but your attitude and prowess are inspirational. All the best for a full recovery, keep us up to date and inspired some more!

Wow Bill. Sorry this happened but inspired by your commitment to making it work regardless. I've been diagnosed with focal dystonia in my right leg which, among other things, has me teaching myself to play my bass drum with my left foot. Neuroplasticity is for real and I'm glad you're going for it.

BTW, is that a Remote Speedy Hi Hat you're playing? And yes, I'm whining a bit as I ask because they are no longer available. :(

Thanks for sharing you experience and please keep us apprised of the progress you're making on this new project of yours!

Sorry to hear that Bill. I've always been a fan of your instructional style and obvious passion for teaching, and have gleaned what I could from your advice on here.

Your candor is appreciated, and your attitude is impressive and inspiring! If you choose to do so, please keep us in the loop as you recover, as I'm sure many of us will be thinking about you! Best wishes!

Agreed on neuroplasticity. I wish it'd hurry up though and I'm still praying that it comes all the way back. I try to stay positive, but it's a battle that requires a fight.

Yes it's my remote speedy hat. I have a few of them to insure I'll still have at least one when I'm 90 years old and play my last early notes. Needless to say I love it & it's such a problem solver. :)

I've stayed on the horse playing and teaching, but it's been a long & hard 7 weeks.

Hey my brother, That’s equally scary and amazing! Reading your post and watching you play one handed like that 7 weeks post stroke is truly inspiring.

I agree that the brain is wonderfully designed and it seems that drumming is especially good for building those lost connections. Keep pressing on in hope through the inevitable times of doubt and discouragement. Walk in faith. (Easier said than done, I know.)

You’ve been a great help to me many times but especially recently as I’ve been working on Irish Spring and seeing good results. Thank you.

Wow, Bill, I don't even know what to say. You're such a tremendous player and such a part of this group.

Please keep posting.

Thinking of you.

Thanks guys! I'm starting to be able to play some low & light things. To regain unction I have to squeeze & try really hard which goes against everything I believe in! However, that's the only way to create new pathways for the brain to muscles. It's incredibly frustrating, but I'm doing my best to stay positive & stay on the horse.

Back