Drumming shoes

Ainulindale

Gold Member
New Balance cross trainers, light and grippy!

...and shorts, my right pant leg had no buisness picking that fight with the bass pedal...

blasterbeat

I've practiced with my new balance shoes and my foot bends at the arch too much. I put on my vans and my foot stays nice and flat. For me it's Vans.

ShaysRebellion

I just got my new Globes in! They are the Chris Haslam series, i have the black plaid which i use for drumming, but i figured since this is a shoe forum wat they hey. here's the new ones :]

On the left, These are my new Globes :] On the right, these are my Black plaid Globes (drumming shoes)
They have perfectly flat bottom, they're skinny, and light perfect
for double bass :]

Attachments

Anne Beeche

Why wear shoes when you can be barefoot?

Seriously, I'm such a hobbit that I'm appalled that anybody would play drums in something more than socks.

Naigewron

Platinum Member
Why wear shoes when you can be barefoot?

Seriously, I'm such a hobbit that I'm appalled that anybody would play drums in something more than socks.
Yeah well, call me when you've stepped on broken beer glasses on a dark stage, just as your band is about to start playing *evil laugh* ;-)

The balls of my feet tend to get sore after a while if I play without shoes. Practising at home is fine, but when I play with a band I kick a lot harder, so I prefer some padding under my feet.

Anne Beeche

Yeah well, call me when you've stepped on broken beer glasses on a dark stage, just as your band is about to start playing *evil laugh* ;-)

The balls of my feet tend to get sore after a while if I play without shoes. Practising at home is fine, but when I play with a band I kick a lot harder, so I prefer some padding under my feet.
Sounds like my room. =) Eh, I have a high pain threshold, so I'd probably get through the gig easily, even with bloody, mangled feet. Heck, I'm even known to cross hot, scalding summer pavement to the gas station barefoot just for the hell of it. I guess I'm masochistic like that.

I guess it all depends on what works for you. I like being able to use my toes, so bare feet for me. Plus my soles already have natural traction in the form of thick, calloused footprints.

bradmapex

i go bear foot because i get the best feel, but if my feet are worn or they get too many cuts and they have to rehab then i go to my all time favorite... Nike Blazzer High Tops, they feel great, they are comfortable and they have crazy grip, i also noticed that lots of players like chad smith, thomas prigden wear either those or nike dunks (which i have also used) but my Blazzers are my favorite

Attachments

VicTheStick

I'm on my feet most of the day (I teach music at an elementary school) so my everyday shoes are New Balance 608's. Great shoes, but I don't like playing drums in them. The soles are a little too bulky to really feel the pedals properly.
I have a pair of Airwalk slip-ons that work okay, but they are not too practical in the colder part of the year.
I recently found a pair of Converse look-alikes at Wal-Mart for $13, and they work great! They're soft, flexible and comfortable, and the soles are not too thick. They come in white, black, and a very sharp-looking khaki. I know the Converse is a much better shoe, but it also cost 3 times as much!

donv

Silver Member
I've always played in socks. The shoes come off when sitting at the kit, so there's no walking around without shoes. Back in the 60's and 70's it was common to play without shoes, but that has changed.

Abel

I played in vans back when I started 6-7 years ago. I switched to Adidas' Sambas about a year ago, and just recently changed to some green Puma's Speeders (seen in the picture). The Speeders are lighter, and breathe better than my previous selections, that is all I really look for in a drumming shoe.

Davo-London

Gold Member
Whatever I'm wearing at the time.

It's worthwhile getting used to playing with any type of footwear so you never have an issue, whatever the situation you find yourselves in.

Davo

Naigewron

Platinum Member
Whatever I'm wearing at the time.

It's worthwhile getting used to playing with any type of footwear so you never have an issue, whatever the situation you find yourselves in.

Davo
Obviously, but that's just like saying you should be able to play with any stick or any pedal. Most drummers will be able to do that, but they'll still have a preference where they feel most comfortable.