Drumming shoes

I generally play either in my Vans Classic Old Skools, or in socks. I have played a few jazz gigs in my black dress shoes, but because they have more built-up heels that make it more difficult to play more precise rhythms. I never play barefoot, as I do not like the feeling of the pedals against my feet, and I don't want the playing surfaces to get all slimy by playing in bare feet.

I've become a big fan of Sketchers as well. I've got a pair that are really light and they breath great. The soles have enough grip for smooth pedals but they don't get caught on pedals with a little grip to them.I just put them in my equipment bag when I finish the gig. I liked them so much that I bought another pair to bop around in.

I use Skechers(Porter Ressen) very light shoe,memory foam insoles, very inexpensive.

Ballroom dance shoes. Seriously.

Pros: Thin soles for almost barefoot feel on the pedals. Suede soles, so no rubber to stick to pedal surfaces, which I find makes speed easier. More flexible and comfy than leather-soled dress shoes. Still looks classy, depending on what style you get.

Cons: You have to change into them once you're at the gig and set up, because they're not designed for street wear; wearing them outdoors will ruin the sole quickly.

I've been wearing these. Love 'em.
Great to hear that ballroom shoes have other uses! Have you looked into suede soles? They can be applied to any shoe.

I practise at home with slippers, so I can play in any shoes. My current shoes are a pair of crappy Adidas that give me blisters on my big toe, but I've no urge to change it for now.

I usually wear riding boots...uh, cowboy boots. But...

When I play guitar, I don't wear gloves, so. I like playing the drums barefoot. I can feel the pedals better that way, just as I can feel the strings on a guitar or the sticks in my hand.

If, for some reason, I absolutely had to put something over my feet, I'd go with moccasins.

Back