Drumming related New Years Resolutions/ Drum Goals for 2020

Channing

Anyone have any drum goals for the new year? When I think about how far I've come since this time last year, it's pretty inspiring, because my drumming has gotten way better. Hopefully that continues and a year from now I'll be saying the same.

Right now my goals for 2020 are, I want to be able to play a single stroke roll at 200 bpm (16th notes) for at least a minute. Right now I'm at 150.
I want to have more control over my double stroke roll. Not sure how to make this goal any more specific than that. My double stroke roll is pretty bad.
Also I want to play Everlong on stage with one of my bands at some point this year, and maybe Whip It.
For the other band, I want to start trying to sing backup while playing, for at least a couple songs.

Anyone else? Post your goals for the year, maybe at the end of this year you can check back and see if you made the progress you wanted to.

Jml

Nice thread! I’ve come along quite a way since 2018. I had never played out before this year. Now I have a regular, paying church gig (including tonight and tomorrow for New Years Eve and New Years Day services), I’m playing in a band with gigs lined up into the spring, and potentially playing in a quieter, acoustic band soon. My goal is to play out as much as possible with different musicians, and learn to “serve the song”.

J-Boogie

Gold Member
I just want to continue my comeback into drumming with a band again. Its just the best part of my life right now I think.

mikyok

Platinum Member
I've realised I'm entering my 5th separate decade of drumming at the ripe old age of 36. Just want the journey to continue and if I can make a few quid along the way....bonus!

I hit a massive goal last year when I started a band that just plays for fun, doesn't practice or have a setlist. We just rock up and call the set as we go. I've put the fun back in playing as doing the corporate scene for years was starting to get to me.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I need to revisit the single stroke roll and get that up to your goal of 200 BPM 16ths. I'm fairly happy with the progress I've made on my weak hand ability so it's time to scale that SSR wall.

Uncle_MC

I see that the single-stroked 16s @ 200 for a minute are a common thread, as that’s also one of my goals.

In addition, I’d like to break away from the familiar Bossa-Nova bass drum ostinato as well as being familiar with Bossa Nova in odd-time signatures. I’m using Todd Bishop’s awesome website, as well as Ed Uribe’s The Essence of Brazilian Percussion and Drumset for these. Getting my right foot double strokes (a la Good Times Bad Times) up to speed would also be nice.

Other than that, short-term goals change in between lesson assignments and from practice session to practice session. Good luck to everyone in 2020!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
My goal is to play every day, even if it's just fifteen minutes on the practice pad. Happy New Year, everyone!
I made that exact resolution last year. Didn't work, some days were just so exhausting that picking up sticks was the last thing I wanted to do. Gonna try again this year.

Even if it's every other day, it's still more than 2019.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I'm exploring some new sounds from Ludwig, and Evans. I'll have a Neusonic kit shortly, and will be trying a variety of heads to get the best sound from them. They already sound great with the Remo Taiwan heads (UT) and can only sound better with some of the cool heads Evans has. I think the UV2 has good potential for those drums, but I'll give every batter a chance. Anyway, I've got time to determine which combination sounds best, and that's what I'll take on tour in 2021.

Playing-wise, I already have gigs booked through next December, but with a year off from Al I have another project I'm working on: a book of my b&w photos of Al c1983-86, only about a dozen of which have ever been seen by anyone. It's a great trip down memory lane, and I'll be involved in promoting it as well. It's due Sept 30, earlier if I get on the stick.

Might also be a very cool drum thing in June outside the US, I'll be able to talk more about that later. :)

Bermuda

Frank

Gold Member
My goal is just to - play Out more. I spend lots of time trying to network into more situations, with relatively low yield. Goal is definitely for some of that to yield and just play in More Different situations in 2020. Life is short. I gotta play. Like - Now.
At this current point in time, I'm not focused nor juiced about building other technique, etc. It's about getting Out to Play.

Reactions: Jml

blinky

Get some more time with the brushes, and OK, loose some weight and quit drinking whiskey in the quantity I do now...

Channing

Get some more time with the brushes, and OK, loose some weight and quit drinking whiskey in the quantity I do now...
I know this is kind of off topic but since you brought it up.. have you tried wine or beer instead? It’s easier to drink in moderation with those because they don’t get you drunk as fast.

Channing

My goal is to play every day, even if it's just fifteen minutes on the practice pad. Happy New Year, everyone!
It’s a good goal. I’ve played for at least an hour pretty much every day for the past three years. There’s been a day here or there where I didn’t play, like Christmas Day or that one day a few weeks ago when I was camping, and I try not to beat myself up over the odd day here and there that I didn’t play because things happen. I don’t think I have some extraordinary amount of discipline, but I have made it a habit so it’s pretty much automatic now. When I wake up in the morning and think about all the things I have to get done today, drumming is always on that list.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I play everyday, and have for years-not that you can tell. I just love it-my happy place. I need to be more disciplined and methodical and i’d love to be able to sight read and play.
one issue of concern is my legs. I was a runner for years till my knees gave out, since my legs get little exercise and have wasted to bird legs and my hips, knees, and feet hurt. My gait has suffered as I’m not fleet of foot on uneven terrain and bust my butt. It’s affecting my playing as I don’t seem to have as good control. They shake to. I recently started walking on our tread mill and note both feet dragging and my poor gait. Already see improvement in gait and getting some spring back so hopefully can turn it around . Still have great upper body strength - mainly swimming where I just use my arms but hopefully this summer get some leg action going. But I have fears because autoimmune disease run rampant in family Mom had M.S., sister lupus, Dad’s father had ankylosis spondylitis, so makes me worry it isn’t just inactivity. It could just be aging crap too . One of those times I wish I was ignorant of topic cause I’d probably be fine LOL.

Frank

Gold Member
I know this is kind of off topic but since you brought it up.. have you tried wine or beer instead? It’s easier to drink in moderation with those because they don’t get you drunk as fast.
It's a helpful thought for someone wanting to reduce the hard stuff. It works for me.
Not only does that help, but the other thing I find when I am out having some drinks - is to alternate a drink with - a diet soda. Both help me keep it modest.

blinky

Well problem is whiskey taste so good to me, and I don't get drunk, I just tend to drink too often, most of the days actually. Now is the time to shape up before it gets out of hand. Don't want to end up as a couple of friends who are sober alcoholics that never can have a whiskey or anything.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Try to find a better balance between work, church, playing music, and my family. I also plan to do more weight training this year. I play my best whenever I lift weights 3-5 days a week. I haven’t seriously trained with weights in over a year, and I miss it tremendously. I built a gym in my basement last summer, and I plan on hitting it hard this year.

Flow

I play everyday, and have for years-not that you can tell. I just love it-my happy place. I need to be more disciplined and methodical and i’d love to be able to sight read and play.
one issue of concern is my legs. I was a runner for years till my knees gave out, since my legs get little exercise and have wasted to bird legs and my hips, knees, and feet hurt. My gait has suffered as I’m not fleet of foot on uneven terrain and bust my butt. It’s affecting my playing as I don’t seem to have as good control. They shake to. I recently started walking on our tread mill and note both feet dragging and my poor gait. Already see improvement in gait and getting some spring back so hopefully can turn it around . Still have great upper body strength - mainly swimming where I just use my arms but hopefully this summer get some leg action going. But I have fears because autoimmune disease run rampant in family Mom had M.S., sister lupus, Dad’s father had ankylosis spondylitis, so makes me worry it isn’t just inactivity. It could just be aging crap too . One of those times I wish I was ignorant of topic cause I’d probably be fine LOL.
Sorry to hear about your health issues. I have Type I diabetes, celiac disease, and lots of resulting joint pain, myself, so I can relate. It does get in the way of drumming sometimes when my knees and hips start aching. On those days, I try to focus on my hands and doing rudiments on the practice pad or exercises with the hi-hat and snare. I find that topical pain relievers like Salonpas and CBD give me some relief in the short term and gentle stretching/restorative yoga has also been helpful.

Best of luck to you with your drumming and health in the new year!