Drumming pet peeves

This is the post about your pet peeves of drumming. My number one pet peeve is when drummers use Sheet Bronze/B8 Bronze cymbals and claim them to be professional because they have a name attached the them like Zildjian or Sabian. I know a drummer who is an amazing drummer but uses a whole line of Zildjian ZHTs and is recording his second studio album with them. I told the bassist who I am good friends and he told him and his response was "ZHTs are professional, ZBTs aren't." He's been drumming for 5-10 years and should know better. I'm the same age (15) as him and I drive my Cast Bronze (Zildjian: A Series/Custom and K Series) with pride. Anyway now that that's off my chesty what are your pet peeves?

My pet peeve might be threads like this.

This is the post about your pet peeves of drumming. My number one pet peeve is when drummers use Sheet Bronze/B8 Bronze cymbals and claim them to be professional because they have a name attached the them like Zildjian or Sabian. I know a drummer who is an amazing drummer but uses a whole line of Zildjian ZHTs and is recording his second studio album with them. I told the bassist who I am good friends and he told him and his response was "ZHTs are professional, ZBTs aren't." He's been drumming for 5-10 years and should know better. I'm the same age (15) as him and I drive my Cast Bronze (Zildjian: A Series/Custom and K Series) with pride. Anyway now that that's off my chesty what are your pet peeves?
Here's the way I see it. It's nice to have good equipment, but a "professional" in my eyes is much more the equipment he owns. A good drummer could out-play me any day on the cheapest of equipment. Benny Greb sounds awesome banging on stuff in his kitchen; better than then I can do on a kit (really! he does! watch his DVD, he plays the hell out of that kitchen!) If being a professional means buying better cymbals, then I better go buy new cymbals right away! Just my opinion :)

My pet peeve is when people focus too much on what other people say and think instead of their own playing.

Also, the whole doing a simple fill over a double bass pattern to make it sound more impressive than it really is.

I cannot stand cymbals that spin around and sit on a weird angle. I always make sure that all the T bolts on my stand are in the same direction. My cymbals all must be the same height as long with my toms. It's little stuff like that, that drives me insane if I know that they are off by the slightest bit.

I agree with razorx that my cymbals and toms must be "just so." They have to be the perfect height and angle. For this reason, I am not a fan of drum kits that employ a large number of drums and cymbals at odd angles. I spend a lot of time setting up my kit and I am proud of the way it looks.

On a forum related note: I am not a fan of posts that complain about the content of a thread. (alparrott)

Yeah but . . . how do they SOUND????

I cannot stand cymbals that spin around and sit on a weird angle. I always make sure that all the T bolts on my stand are in the same direction. My cymbals all must be the same height as long with my toms. It's little stuff like that, that drives me insane if I know that they are off by the slightest bit.

Yeah I gotta have all my cymbals perfectly (well, to the eye) level. Maybe that is an OCD thing rather than a pet peeve ha ha.

Heres what I dont like you know those guys who play those pedals, those cheap pedals and they think its real professional but they don't know about what pedals real drummers plays at all yet they boast about there pedals.

I only have one.......the constant search for a "magic cure" for improving single strokes/double pedal speed/rudiments/fills/grooves/[insert whatever you can't get a handle on here].....

There IS a cure and it can be as magical as you make it. Your "cure" allows you to take your drumming wherever it is you want to take it, but only people who have bothered to do it ever seem to know what it is.

As for the cymbals.....Paiste's top o' the line offerings are B8, no?

Last edited:
I only have one.......the constant search for a "magic cure" for improving single strokes/double pedal speed/rudiments/fills/grooves/[insert whatever you can't get a handle on here].....

There IS a cure and it can be as magical as you make it. Your "cure" allows you to take your drumming wherever it is you want to take it, but only people who have bothered to do it ever seem to know what it is.

So, how DO you get to Carnegie Hall?

Your "cure" allows you to take your drumming wherever it is you want to take it, but only people who have bothered to do it ever seem to know what it is.
Actually, I took that to mean that you can take your drumming wherever you want it as opposed to your career. With enough determination, practice, and a smidge of OCD, practically anyone can become a proficient or great player. There's no luck in that - or magical shortcuts.

The road to Carnegie's stage assumes you've done enough of that, but luck, tea leaves, planetary alignment, nice personality, etc are the other MAJOR players on that little trek.

I agree with razorx that my cymbals and toms must be "just so." They have to be the perfect height and angle.

Lots of cymbals (especially those with old school construction methods) are more massive on one side than the other. I know a couple of mine are. This makes it impossible to always have them at the 'perfect angle', because the angle changes as they swing around on the stand. Hell, I have a cheapo Ufip (Rotocasting gone badly wrong) that sits at least three inches higher on one side than the other.

Personally, I get peeved by how poorly some drummers set up their kits. People who are 6'+ tall and have their thrones absolutely bottomed out, with their thighs aimed skyward is the one that gets me the most. I often find myself trying to judge how competent a drummer will be based on how their gear is positioned before they even start playing. I surprise even myself with how accurate the guesses can often be.

Actually, I took that to mean that you can take your drumming wherever you want it as opposed to your career.

I did mate. But I love that old Carnegie Hall joke, so had to continue.

The road to Carnegie's stage assumes you've done enough of that, but luck, tea leaves, planetary alignment, nice personality, etc are the other MAJOR players on that little trek.

True that....but by the same accord, luck won't develop your single stroke roll either. ;-)

I've known dudes that put me to shame with Sabian B8 cymbals. He'd probably have done the same with an entry level drum kit too.

It's how you play, not what you play with.

2 pet peeves...

One is what has been a popular subject here lately; strangers bashing away (or trying to) on your drum kit without permission.

My biggest one is probably kids beating on the drum kits at GC so loudly (and almost always without any semblance to any kind of defineable groove or pattern) that you can't even ask a question to the help there. Actually, I don't know which is worse; the kids bashing away on the kits, or the employees that allow it.

Back