Drumming is getting boring for me

drums32

Idk i used to play for like hours and now its about 20 minutes...sometimes not even 20 min. Ive been switching setups for so long and trying to experiment with my kit since i have a 6 piece but i cant find a setup that i like enough....the setup ends up getting boring and i end up changing it within days idk it seems like its not that fun anymore. Im not gonna quit drumming but im tired of playing in my room by myself i feel like i want to get my kit outta the house and start playin somewhere where im not the only one hearing me. Im in a youth group band but someone else plays drums...... if i was the drummer i would bring my kit since we have a crap drumset. Please reccomend me some cool setups i have a six piece 8,10,12,14,22,14 snare. I know all of you are are gonna say get in a band but tell me some things to make drumming really fun again. thanks heres my one of my setups i use sometimes but tell me some other setups that you like because i need a different set up.

Attachments

• pdpmx.jpg
    pdpmx.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 2,100
Have you tried playing along with your favorite songs with headphones on? I like to crank the volume up and play my cd's that I like. Playing this way helped me a lot when I was bored with just the same practice routine. Also, you can never find a band to play with that sounds as good as a recording of say Rush or something.

How about just hats a snare and a bass? Are you sure the setup is what's boring you? The above suggestion is good and maybe try some instrucional DVDs to give you some ideas for things you may not have tried before.

I change my setup at home quite a bit, but never because I'm bored with drumming (you can see in my signature). I could play the rest of my life nonstop and still never run out of new things to learn. That keeps it interesting for me.

With all due respect to you, drum setups aren't boring, people are. If you're bored it's because you are allowing yourself to be bored. Don't blame it on the drum setup. Realize that the issue is your perceptions. If you were an underpriviliged person who has a burning desire to drum, but no drumset, when this person does get a drumset, he is not going to be bored. You on the other hand have a beautiful PDP kit and you don't even appreciate the possibilities that stare back at you on a daily basis. I hope you take this in the spirit it was intended, I am just calling them like I see them, not bashing anyone.

I've been playing since I can remember and i'm never bored from playing drums maybe drums ain't for you, maybe it's. the music you play? if you don't. enjoy it everybody will pick up on it nothing worse then seeing a band of bored musicians it might as well as never have happen.

Bonzolead

thanks i love drumming whenever i play the drums for my church i have so much fun i would never quit. im going to just try and learn new things from youtube thanks alot guys

thanks i love drumming whenever i play the drums for my church i have so much fun i would never quit. im going to just try and learn new things from youtube thanks alot guys

1. Get in a band.
2. Play along with music/play-along CDs.
3. Forget Youtube, turn off your bloody computer and get a living teacher who can push you in new directions. Even if it's just another kid who has more experience than you. We can learn something from everyone.
3a. Find some other young people who play drums and hang out. Go see their kits, exchange ideas, talk drums.
4. Find a friend (perhaps from church) who plays bass and have them come over so you can practice together.
5. Listen to music you don't usually listen to. Try playing what you hear.
5a. Go see some live music. Then go see more.
6. Take a break for a week or two. The drums will still be there when you get back, and I bet you'll feel refreshed.
7. Stop thinking negatively/being bored - it's not out there, it's in you and you have control over it.

Try any combination of the above and see what happens. If you've tried ALL of the above, and you still can't give a toss, sell your drums.

Expand your horizons there is so much out there to take in don't. keep yourself to one style,music,etc. once you do that you will realize drums are not boring at all afterall drums was the FIRST instrument created by man besides hitting two sticks together LOL

Any great musician loves playing there instrument that's why there good at it because they have the passion for playing it can't. be taught to you either you have it or you don't. if you really love playing you will never get bored.

Bonzolead

Boomka nailed it all.
Is anyone else worried about bonzolead? His typing seems off today. Extra periods and the word ain't? Just seems a little different from his usual posts.

i feel like i want to get my kit outta the house and start playin somewhere where im not the only one hearing me.

i think that's the key. if i was just playing at home by myself, and not to any music i would get bored too. in fact, that happened to me a long time ago when all i could play was practice pads because i lived in an apartment. i wasn't in a band at the time and didn't know anyone i could jam with. i gave up drumming completely for many years. i'm back into it again now in a big way, but for me the key was meeting other musicians and jamming with them and ultimately joining a band. that made it all a lot more interesting!

Boomka nailed it all.
Is anyone else worried about bonzolead? His typing seems off today. Extra periods and the word ain't? Just seems a little different from his usual posts.
You caught me had a great time seeing Rainbow(over the rainbow) last night so i'm kinda in a fog today LOL Bob Rodinelli (I know I didn't. spell it right) was great the whole band put on a great show tonight it's. Styx seeing two great drummers in two days i'm a lucky man.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

Idk i used to play for like hours and now its about 20 minutes...sometimes not even 20 min. Ive been switching setups for so long and trying to experiment with my kit since i have a 6 piece but i cant find a setup that i like enough....the setup ends up getting boring and i end up changing it within days idk it seems like its not that fun anymore. Im not gonna quit drumming but im tired of playing in my room by myself i feel like i want to get my kit outta the house and start playin somewhere where im not the only one hearing me. Im in a youth group band but someone else plays drums...... if i was the drummer i would bring my kit since we have a crap drumset. Please reccomend me some cool setups i have a six piece 8,10,12,14,22,14 snare. I know all of you are are gonna say get in a band but tell me some things to make drumming really fun again. thanks heres my one of my setups i use sometimes but tell me some other setups that you like because i need a different set up.

Hmm yeah i never get bored of playing. Nut i can get sick of playing the same thing which is what is starting to happen. I'm really wanting to play something new and refreshing. I bet it's the same in your case, you've been doing what you're doing for so long and you are sick, it happens that's why you need to discover new things. And i can't express enough how much you should get yourself in a band, it's the best move you could make i went for a period without one and it sucked major but i will never tire of playing drums, NEVER!!!!

You caught me had a great time seeing Rainbow(over the rainbow) last night so i'm kinda in a fog today LOL Bob Rodinelli (I know I didn't. spell it right) was great the whole band put on a great show tonight it's. Styx seeing two great drummers in two days i'm a lucky man.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

hahaha lol glad to hear it! Lucky for sure!

thanks i downsized my kit to a 5 piece and im startin to be creative now with my fills and stuff. I played for about 2 hours and it didnt get boring :) so thanks guys :)

As LarryAce said, it is probably not the setup - or the setup is just a small part of your boredom. Sure, sometimes we get inspired by playing other peoples sets. Just like it is fun to drive some else's car.

Do you take lessons? That is something that can inspire you greatly. And I am not saying this as a teacher. I am saying this as a student. There have been many times that I felt like I was just coasting. Not getting better, but not worse either. I would schedule a lesson with a great drummer and all of a sudden my outlook changed. It is a psychological change. It gives you hope and make's you look at things from another person's perspective.

If you are taking lessons and just working on rock, try to see if your teacher can give you some other styles. It is challenging to get the coordination right for latin, bossa nova's, jazz, etc... As you learn those styles, you will also be inspired by great players of the genres.

As stated by some others, try to get out and play. This is where you gain experience and apply what you are practicing at home and in lessons. If, until now, you have only played drumset, go out and find other performing opportunities. Most areas, no matter how small, have community bands which play concerts and parades. In fact I just saw one on the Fourth of July that played as the fireworks were going off. You will get a chance to play snare drum, bass drum, auxillary percussion, and even mallet percussion if you have experience with that. You may also play parades. I used to play parades and focus on my technique. And I got paid for it.

Go out and see other bands. You will be surprised at what you will pick up from other drummers. When we did the battle of the bands at the SF Jazz festival with the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra, I was set up right next to Rudy, the Dorsey drummer. I picked up a lot of stuff just by sitting there and watching him. And on the pieces where both bands played together, I still adapted what I played to fit what he was playing. It was definitely a learning experience. And we talked alot, before and after the gig. There is something inspiring about meeting other drummers and finding out what they do both in practice and with bands.

Jeff

Please reccomend me some cool setups i have a six piece 8,10,12,14,22,14 snare.

Coolest setup: a classic four piece.

It's not the setup or gear that makes drumming interesting. I really started discovering drums after tooling down to a 4 pc that forces me to learn different technique. Also, take some lessons!

Playing with music is so much more fun than without. Buy an iso-phone, plug it to your stereo, laptop or mp3 player and play to whatever you like. But take the time to listen to the song first, analyze it and learn something new that suits the song instead of playing the same drum parts on every song.

I also like trying out different heads. You could trade your drum or switch snare or cymbals to have a fresh start.

Maybe it can also be about the style of drumming you play, there are people who have a lot of fun playing a lot of different things like progressive and others who love to stay with a simple pattern. Just experiment a little maybe you'll find your own style in the progress and might help you not getting bored.

About the setup I think that what i've told you will help you too; while you experiment with different kinds of music you will want your setup to go with you so there you'll have all your worries resolved.

I don't remember the author of the quote but it goes, "Boredom is an insult to ones self"
If you truly are bored walk away for a while. You are young. You'll get over it.

ive been thru that phase. Ive been playing for quite a while tho. I agree with almost everything on here. You def need to get with a band that perhaps does some original material, so you are the one "making" the music...thats my 2 cents anyway.

when i was young, i used to get as many drums and cymbals in my kit as i could. It wasnt till a few years back when i scaled it back to a 4 piece that i truly started discovering new things and starting relying on technique as apposed to a big kit.

I think you are going thru something that a lot of drummers go thru. playing various music styles will make you discover new things and not pigeon hole you into a particular "mold or style".

Back